POLL - PART 17 & 18's biggest surprises will be...

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Part 17 & 18's biggest surprises will be...

It was all a dream
5%
Cooper dies
7%
Annie Blackburn
5%
Harry S. Truman
10%
Laura Palmer
23%
Ray Wise (Leland Palmer or other character)
6%
Judy
14%
Josie Packard
1%
Catherine Martell
1%
Pete Martell
6%
Chet Desmond
2%
Billy
2%
Becky is dead
1%
Someone from TP Sheriff Station dies (specify in comments)
No votes
Cooper retires and lives a happy life with Janey-E
4%
Freddie kills DoppelCoop
2%
Naido is Diane
7%
Candie has Laura's spirit
4%
Other (please specify)
2%

Total votes: 168
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Re: POLL - PART 17 & 18's biggest surprises will be...

Post by Soolsma »

Hester Prynne wrote:I'm really hoping that after all these years, we'll find out what in the hell "I feel like I know her, but sometimes my arms bend back" meant.
Wasn't that referring to how Laura's arms were bound behind her back before she was murdered?
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

Laura/Leland is a pretty safe bet. I'm sure we'll go back to the Red Room at some point during the finale.

I really hope that we'll get some kind of mention of Pete and that episode will be dedicated in the memory of Jack Nance. I can't see Lynch forgetting his dear friend, although the Martells in general are not connected with this material at all. Maybe Audrey will mention that he saved her? That's the only way I can think he could be mentioned.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Panapaok wrote:Laura/Leland is a pretty safe bet. I'm sure we'll go back to the Red Room at some point during the finale.

I really hope that we'll get some kind of mention of Pete and that episode will be dedicated in the memory of Jack Nance. I can't see Lynch forgetting his dear friend, although the Martells in general are not connected with this material at all. Maybe Audrey will mention that he saved her? That's the only way I can think he could be mentioned.
Perhaps a flashback to the discovery of Laura's corpse?
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

Soolsma wrote:
Panapaok wrote:Laura/Leland is a pretty safe bet. I'm sure we'll go back to the Red Room at some point during the finale.

Hmm, maybe yes. Imagine if Josie, Catherine and Harry appear in this way too! It'd all come full circle. :lol:
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
Burns's Suite

Post by Burns's Suite »

Part of me is still holding out for a Heather Graham cameo, but given how much story there is to tell I find it very unlikely.

It's a shame. I'm in the minority who actually likes Annie but completely understand that David Lynch truly didn't feel the need to bring her back. But as such a big part of the mythology she at least deserves more than the mention she got.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Soolsma wrote:
Hester Prynne wrote:I'm really hoping that after all these years, we'll find out what in the hell "I feel like I know her, but sometimes my arms bend back" meant.
Wasn't that referring to how Laura's arms were bound behind her back before she was murdered?
Yeh, that was cringingly literal enough. I don't get why some people need every abstraction to be explained. The line was perfect on its own; its impact is weakened by explanation.
Trudy Chelgren
RR Diner Member

Post by Trudy Chelgren »

At this point though, is Laura even a surprise? Maybe not her exactly, but something about her? She hasn't at all been what I would describe as 'omnipresent' in The Return. She's been almost entirely on the periphery. How much meaning can we glean from just her picture, that we haven't already processed?

Before The Return came out, I was very confident that Laura's story had little to no mileage left in it, so I was taken aback by the 'divine intent' angle they've come from with her. Laura’s death, imbued with some higher truth. That she didn’t die for nothing. It’s either nihilistic or poignant. Maybe it’s both, I don't know. I like it a lot, and the scene with Senorita Dido is one of The Return's most deeply moving moments for me. I'm really intrigued to see how Lynch and Frost take a returning Laura, and keep her important and fresh. The last thing I would want is gratuitous waving of Laura in our faces as a shortcut to emotional involvement; a crime the original show bordered on sometimes.

I hope so bad for Harry. To be honest, I can't see how this ending is going to be "spectacular" at all yet. I just can't predict anything other than some plot threads closing as we've guessed. I can't say The Return has entirely lived up to the hype for me thus far, I'd built a very different picture in my head. Not that it hasn't had it's stunning moments and ideas, but I'll talk about my experience of it as a whole when it's over. A lot is riding on this ending being perfect, whatever that might be. I don't think I'd settle for anything less.
Framed_Angel
RR Diner Member

Post by Framed_Angel »

Soolsma wrote:
Panapaok wrote: I really hope that we'll get some kind of mention of Pete and that episode will be dedicated in the memory of Jack Nance... Maybe Audrey will mention that he saved her? That's the only way I can think he could be mentioned.
I'm also remembering late in S2 they show a glimpse of Pete in the lobby of the Great Northern, looking wishfully up at the wood paneling over a fireplace mantel maybe; he's heard bemoaning Josie since her death and says "Oh Josie...!" before the scene segues to another situation. (Possibly Nadine & Mike checking in or out of the hotel).

Pete's scanning the interior woodwork talking to Josie or possibly reacting to something reminding him of Josie in that scene, was evoked for me during Part 6 or 7 when Beverly & Ben are mesmerized by something from within the wood paneling**

** as I've interpreted it, that is~
TweetPeak
Roadhouse Member

Post by TweetPeak »

i think there will be alot flashbacks. the past dictates the future.
expect reuse. sorry for the clipshow
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

I just hope the episodes don't include some "Oh, this is what was really going on"/"what we've been watching hasn't been real" thing for anybody but Audrey, which has already been teased. The absurdities throughout the show don't need any explanation. Things such as Sarah watching the same fight loop can be brought together by the viewer on a thematic level for their own meaning; they don't need any "explanation" in the plot. It's entirely possible that Lynch and Frost may overcompensate for the cliffhanger of the original and offer too much plot and explanation. Similarly, any metafictional conceits about the nature of creation (the "Sunset Blvd." Gordon Cole thing has me worried for this) or Lynch's relationship to coming back to this world need not enter in as plot elements (a la Lynch appearing as a character). Those ideas are present subliminally, and again don't need anything in the plot. To me, the only things that need to be resolved/answered are:

*Evil Cooper's ultimate intention -- what he wants and why he wants it.
*The intentions of the Woodsmen (preferably Mr. Gotta Light returning) revealed.
*Who the figure is who wants to be with Bob again.
*The destiny of Cooper/Dougie.
*In what way Laura is "the one."
*Linda and 430.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
Terence
Roadhouse Member

Post by Terence »

Why in the hell are the final two parts not just edited together?

After David Lynch has talked about this many times that he see's all this season as a film more than anything..

Just like how the first 2 parts were edited together so should the final 2

How hard is it to just show the intro music once then have no credits shown after the first hour & have no intro on start of the second hour.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Terence wrote:Why in the hell are the final two parts not just edited together?
Ummmm... they are.?I think it's gonna be the same way that part 1 & 2 were edited together, at least on first airing. After that I've also seen a version of part 1 which ends after Hastings is in jail, with credits rolling over a silent still life shot of the Fireman.
Last edited by Soolsma on Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

I'm thinking the reality of season three was built by the evil Dale, using Audrey Horne's dreams/delusions. Cooper has to make Audrey 'wake up' to collapse the doppelgänger's reality before it takes hold forever.

Mr C will kill another fake Coop. Captain Marigold will knock out the doppelgänger at a key moment to save Coop. When Audrey awakens, it'll allow Dale to collapse Mr C's world. Audrey will then shoot Mr C dead.

With the reality of season three collapsed, a new reality will assert itself where Coop escaped the Lodge, Bobby visits his Dad, as per the dream, Becky is happy and secure and Coop lives in Twin Peaks with Janie-E and Sonny Jim.

Roll on season four...
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

Gabriel wrote:I'm thinking the reality of season three was built by the evil Dale, using Audrey Horne's dreams/delusions. Cooper has to make Audrey 'wake up' to collapse the doppelgänger's reality before it takes hold forever.
If the reality of the show is even a million miles close to this, as I said above, my TV screen will be meeting my remote. Whatever Audrey's situation, it needs to be her own personal hell, alone. We don't need any kind of reality shifting of the whole town, or "this was all a dream" bullshit. Absolutely not, never, no way.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

IcedOver wrote:If the reality of the show is even a million miles close to this, as I said above, my TV screen will be meeting my remote. Whatever Audrey's situation, it needs to be her own personal hell, alone. We don't need any kind of reality shifting of the whole town, or "this was all a dream" bullshit. Absolutely not, never, no way.
How did you cope with Inland Empire, Lost Highway and Mulholland Dr then? The only reason for humorously suggesting Audrey is a manipulated dreamer is Lynch's history of blending dreams and reality.