Tulpas and related subjects (SPOILERS)

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Novalis
RR Diner Member

Tulpas and related subjects (SPOILERS)

Post by Novalis »

Because they have become important, being mentioned by name twice now (after part 16). I guess that canonises them somewhat. I'm no expert on what they are -- I started this thread in the interests of expanding my understanding so have at it with your information offload if you feel so inclined.

Also, I think we could discuss related spiritual/metaphysical subjects. I hope I'm not replicating anyone else's thread about metaphysics in The Return -- if so direct me to the place and we can maybe necromance it back into activity.
Last edited by Novalis on Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
As a matter of fact, 'Chalfont' was the name of the people that rented this space before. Two Chalfonts. Weird, huh?
Novalis
RR Diner Member

Re: Tulpas and related subjects

Post by Novalis »

I'll kick things off with a link to an article I spent some time reading in bed last night. It's not super-recent or anything, it doesn't reference TP, but Tulpas as they were used in the X-files (both old and new shows) in comparison to Tulpas in internet groups, in Theosophy, and in Tibetan lore.

There's some interesting ideas on how the tulpa has become a kind of hybrid concept owing to cross-fertilization of different cultures. People who know about memetics and memes might compare this to the idea of meta-memes, in the sense that a growing community of people who use the term 'tulpas' in this new hybrid sense are effectively engineering a meta-tulpa. Have a read and see what you think.

https://savageminds.org/2016/02/13/para ... in-common/
Last edited by Novalis on Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
As a matter of fact, 'Chalfont' was the name of the people that rented this space before. Two Chalfonts. Weird, huh?
sylvia_north
RR Diner Member

Re: Tulpas and related subjects (SPOILERS)

Post by sylvia_north »

https://blueflamemagick.wordpress.com/2 ... you-think/

I came across this when I found Tulku in my Theosophy recreational research, within the first chunk of episodes and thought it might similar to what's going on here. The idea of one energy, that can replicate itself on different planes of existence to accomplish different things, and some stay in the cosmic plane. Then when Tammy said tulpa my ears pricked up; it explains the difference.

Of course the New Agers are all over it- anyone can make a tulpa? TM seems like it's pulled bits and pieces from Hinduism, which was controversial in Maharishi's early career, saying there was no connection but there's a finite number of mantras and they're all Hindui deities (?) Theosophy exists because Buddhism was trendy in the Western world at the turn of the century.
Too Old to Die Young > TP S03
waferwhitemilk
Roadhouse Member

Post by waferwhitemilk »

Some guides for creating your own tulpa if you're into that kind of stuff:

https://www.tulpa.info/creating-a-tulpa/

https://community.tulpa.info/forum-guides

Would not recommend!!! Linking for information purposes only.
DoppelBocker
Roadhouse Member

Post by DoppelBocker »

Interesting reading I'll have to sift more through when get the time. For now, just kind of wondering if supposedly they can procreate meaning have kids? (Sonny Jim seems be Dougie's biological son unless missing something?) If so when the child of a Tulpa passes away they just get yanked out of the room in disrespectful manner sent back to lodge involved in this Tulpa's creation?

If a Tulpa goes to the medical doctor to have surgery is there any organs or just emptiness? It seems they can drink and consume so guessing have organs. The emptiness seems to be more simply the other side of a transdimensional doorway within; since the Tulpa is a mere emanation physical matter around doorway disrupted hence why looks like able to remove face as if opening door to showcase otherside.

I also wonder if they're actually conscious entities or just emanation of seeded consciousness from some unconscious source? (Example: Good coop in lodge living Dougie's life through a dream. Real Diane living her life through tulpa in a dream.)
whoisalhedges
RR Diner Member

Post by whoisalhedges »

I'm pretty sure physics works differently in Lodgespace. That is to say, Dougie and Diane' may have been full of smoke and a gold marble there, but they're probably full of blood and guts and grey stuff here.
Novalis
RR Diner Member

Post by Novalis »

whoisalhedges wrote:I'm pretty sure physics works differently in Lodgespace. That is to say, Dougie and Diane' may have been full of smoke and a gold marble there, but they're probably full of blood and guts and grey stuff here.
I wonder if the black smoke that comes from deflating tulpas has anything to do with the 'black fire' Hawk mentions. Didn't he say something about it being the result of using black corn with the fire substance that's like 'modern day electricity'?
whoisalhedges
RR Diner Member

Post by whoisalhedges »

Novalis wrote:
whoisalhedges wrote:I'm pretty sure physics works differently in Lodgespace. That is to say, Dougie and Diane' may have been full of smoke and a gold marble there, but they're probably full of blood and guts and grey stuff here.
I wonder if the black smoke that comes from deflating tulpas has anything to do with the 'black fire' Hawk mentions. Didn't he say something about it being the result of using black corn with the fire substance that's like 'modern day electricity'?
Yeah, but I think it's metaphorical... I mean, the whole map's metaphorical, that's how it's "always current." The pictures on the map don't change, what is this, magic? :lol:

It's all gonna come down to intentions... Dougie was created by the bad guy to be easy to kill. Diane' was created out of rage - whether intentionally by DoppelCöop or as a product of rape and betrayal. I don't know if Coop is having Mike build him a replacement Dougie for the Joneses or if he's building someone to take his spot in the other life... but I'm sure it'll be a damn sight different from what we've seen before.
Novalis
RR Diner Member

Post by Novalis »

whoisalhedges wrote:
Novalis wrote:
Yeah, but I think it's metaphorical... I mean, the whole map's metaphorical, that's how it's "always current." The pictures on the map don't change, what is this, magic? :lol:

It's all gonna come down to intentions... Dougie was created by the bad guy to be easy to kill. Diane' was created out of rage - whether intentionally by DoppelCöop or as a product of rape and betrayal. I don't know if Coop is having Mike build him a replacement Dougie for the Joneses or if he's building someone to take his spot in the other life... but I'm sure it'll be a damn sight different from what we've seen before.
Assuming black corn is 'garmonbozia (pain and suffering)' -- that's a possibility, surely? -- then what you're proposing all makes sense. DougieTulpa and DianeTulpa deflate with a black plume, while the next DougieTulpa (or CoopTulpa, for a twist) will be differently composed. Maybe they are made with good corn (love and patience?) and electrical fire. Like Hawk says - depends on the intentions. I can buy that.
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

I prefer to go with what's actually in the show rather than engaging in fan fiction-level theorizing, but answer me this -- are we using the word "tulpa" to reference the same thing Evil Cooper is -- a doppelganger?
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
whoisalhedges
RR Diner Member

Post by whoisalhedges »

IcedOver wrote:I prefer to go with what's actually in the show rather than engaging in fan fiction-level theorizing, but answer me this -- are we using the word "tulpa" to reference the same thing Evil Cooper is -- a doppelganger?
Can't speak for anyone else, but I'm not.

A tulpa is, as it traditionally is, created - whether intentionally or not, no sense getting into that; like you said, keep with what's in the show - from the thoughts of one or more individuals. Dougie Jones and Diane' were tulpas. Mr. C is Dale Cooper's Black Lodge-originated doppelganger.
Novalis
RR Diner Member

Post by Novalis »

IcedOver wrote:I prefer to go with what's actually in the show rather than engaging in fan fiction-level theorizing, but answer me this -- are we using the word "tulpa" to reference the same thing Evil Cooper is -- a doppelganger?
As far as I understand the Twin Peaks universe, it would seem that tulpas are always 'manufactured by somebody' and can happily exist in the world, whereas doppelgangers appear to be shadow-selves that are co-extensive with people, and are usually confined to the spirit realm when the person they are a copy of is in the world. So I see them as different.
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

Novalis wrote:
As far as I understand the Twin Peaks universe, it would seem that tulpas are always 'manufactured by somebody' and can happily exist in the world, whereas doppelgangers appear to be shadow-selves that are co-extensive with people, and are usually confined to the spirit realm when the person they are a copy of is in the world. So I see them as different.
i agree. the Tulpa concept does not apply to Mister C the way i read it. the ones we know about that fit the description is Dougie and Diane.

i'm really curious about Sonny Jim though.. Dougie has been around since 1997 which means he is most likely the biological father of Sonny Jim. that is really strange.

also it seems here that the Tulpas are not created entirely by thought forms but by DNA strands (the hair) and a representation of a persons soul (the gold ball). it will be interesting to see where Frost and Lynch will take this.
Novalis
RR Diner Member

Post by Novalis »

Just updating with some links I found useful in my ongoing research:

This is where it (the Western traditions' appropriation of the word and concept 'tulpa') all started: the Belgian-French explorer and occultist Alexandra David-Neel's 1929 book 'Magic and Mystery in Tibet' (Mystiques et magiciens du Tibet) https://books.google.co.uk/books/about/ ... Tibet.html

And here's a snippet from p.313 of that book just to give some idea of the level of discussion and general flavour:

Here is the much-cited vice article that generated a lot of online interest in tulpas: https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/exmq ... ulture-892

A more scholarly, ethnographic approach to discussion of tulpamancy: http://somatosphere.net/2015/04/varieti ... world.html

Share and enjoy!* :wink:
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

i thought this was pretty fantastic.. a Reddit user who cracked Dougie to be a tulpa way before that word was mentioned on screen (or am i wrong?)

https://www.reddit.com/r/twinpeaks/comm ... the_tulpa/

posted on June 14, 2017