TP:TR Gets Glowing Review in the Washington Post

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

mtwentz
Lodge Member

TP:TR Gets Glowing Review in the Washington Post

Post by mtwentz »

It appears Twin Peaks is on the verge of finally being called a 'critical success'.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertai ... b3b638744f
In terms of pure satisfaction and elevation of the form, it’s no contest: Showtime’s “Twin Peaks,” David Lynch and Mark Frost’s 18-part sequel to their long-shelved ABC series, has been a quiet yet profound triumph, splendidly fulfilling a promise made 27 years ago.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
referendum
RR Diner Member

Re: TP:TR Gets Glowing Review in the Washington Post

Post by referendum »

having never seen game of thrones, apart from a youtube clip that looked like a b-movie sexed-up lord of the rings overkill, it is hard for me to make a comparison. I think it is safe to say that TP is better. For me, at least.
''let's not overthink this opportunity''
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Post by Wonderful & Strange »

Critics that understand formal experimentation -- most real critics -- love The Return. It's definitely a critical success, and the only people who seem to dislike it are those who were looking for more soap opera or to be spoon fed obvious answers and fan service from beginning to end.

So The Return has been profitable for Showtime due to large streaming success, and it's an even bigger critical success.

By all standards it's a huge success.

The same conservative fans who disliked the original show are the same group who dislike it today. They want "proper" storytelling or else they lose patience.
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge
tresojos
Roadhouse Member

Post by tresojos »

deserved. talent always wins
donna madonna mañana fofana osama bin laden hayward
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Wonderful & Strange wrote:Critics that understand formal experimentation -- most real critics -- love The Return. It's definitely a critical success, and the only people who seem to dislike it are those who were looking for more soap opera or to be spoon fed obvious answers and fan service from beginning to end.

So The Return has been profitable for Showtime due to large streaming success, and it's an even bigger critical success.

By all standards it's a huge success.

The same conservative fans who disliked the original show are the same group who dislike it today. They want "proper" storytelling or else they lose patience.
Now I am also hoping for some award recognition- not expecting but one can always hope...
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Mr. Jackpots
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Jackpots »

mtwentz wrote:
Wonderful & Strange wrote:
Now I am also hoping for some award recognition- not expecting but one can always hope...

Best Special Effects.
ThumbsUp
RR Diner Member

Post by ThumbsUp »

Love it. The GoT hype on my social media feeds these past couple of weeks in particular has been completely suffocating.
Aerozhul
RR Diner Member

Post by Aerozhul »

I love both shows, they are probably my #1 and #2 most favorite shows ever, with TP edging out GOT for #1. Having both of them back to back on Sunday nights has been like the best night of TV ever in my life, so much fun!

I think The Return is better than GOT Season 7, but I don't understand why we can't just enjoy both for what they are. They're both about 100x better than anything else on TV, pretty much ever.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Aerozhul wrote:I love both shows, they are probably my #1 and #2 most favorite shows ever, with TP edging out GOT for #1. Having both of them back to back on Sunday nights has been like the best night of TV ever in my life, so much fun!

I think The Return is better than GOT Season 7, but I don't understand why we can't just enjoy both for what they are. They're both about 100x better than anything else on TV, pretty much ever.
Curious if you've read the books? I think I'd enjoy the last couple seasons substantially more if I hadn't.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Aerozhul wrote:I love both shows, they are probably my #1 and #2 most favorite shows ever, with TP edging out GOT for #1. Having both of them back to back on Sunday nights has been like the best night of TV ever in my life, so much fun!

To be honest, I don't really believe in such comparisons either, and I've never seen Game of Thrones. It is great to see The Return getting such a great review though :-).
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
whoisalhedges
RR Diner Member

Post by whoisalhedges »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:

Curious if you've read the books? I think I'd enjoy the last couple seasons substantially more if I hadn't.
I've read the books, and like season 6 quite a bit. Yes, it's off-book. Meh, the show and the books are different things; there were plenty differences even before. It didn't bother me.

What bothers me is Gendry running back to Eastwatch, sending ravens down to freakin' Dragonstone, at the other end of the continent, and Dany coming back with her dragons... hours later? Minutes?

When something strains credulity in a show about goddamned dragons and zombies you know something's wrong.

GoT season 7 was, IMO, just awful. And I love the show, otherwise.

That said, even at its best I wouldn't put GoT up against TPTR. Maybe TP 1/2, but not 3. It's just not fair. Game of Thrones is popcorn television. It's very well-made popcorn television, and mmmmmmm... popcorn. But it surely ain't TPTR.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

whoisalhedges wrote:I've read the books, and like season 6 quite a bit. Yes, it's off-book. Meh, the show and the books are different things; there were plenty differences even before. It didn't bother me.

What bothers me is Gendry running back to Eastwatch, sending ravens down to freakin' Dragonstone, at the other end of the continent, and Dany coming back with her dragons... hours later? Minutes?

When something strains credulity in a show about goddamned dragons and zombies you know something's wrong.

GoT season 7 was, IMO, just awful. And I love the show, otherwise.

That said, even at its best I wouldn't put GoT up against TPTR. Maybe TP 1/2, but not 3. It's just not fair. Game of Thrones is popcorn television. It's very well-made popcorn television, and mmmmmmm... popcorn. But it surely ain't TPTR.
I think that's fair. I don't inherently mind it being different from the books -- it's obviously a necessity at this point -- but the world feels so much smaller the past 2-3 seasons. You cited to one of the most cringeworthy examples, Gendry's teleportation. But not even just geographically...the fact that that particular group of characters coincidentally all ended up together going on a mission north of the Wall, while goofy fun in a "Dirty Dozen" way, made the world feel so depopulated. The epic scale of the books and early seasons has completely dissipated in terms of the writing. Which is a shame, because the performances and production values continue to be on point.
whoisalhedges
RR Diner Member

Post by whoisalhedges »

Beric: "Why are we going up to capture a wight again?"
Jon: "In service of the plot, of course."
The Hound: "Fuck the plot."

Yeah, I hated the teleportation because HOW, but I hated the whole subplot because WHY!

I definitely think GoT season 7 would have been greatly improved by the 10-ep season we've become accustomed to. There was just too much to do in too little time.

That's one of the things that bugs me about complaints over floor sweeping scenes. Is it filler? Maybe. But damn, i would MUCH rather have filler (and to me, nothing that happens while Booker T and the MGs are playing is time wasted) than not enough time to tell the story.
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

whoisalhedges wrote: The Hound: "Fuck the plot."
Now we know... Diane is The Hound's tulpa!!!

At any rate, I am happy about it. I like both shows, and this summer I had the chance to watch TP followed by GOT... ultimate proof that TV series are now much better than many feature movies (that's probably why movie theater ticket sales are at the bare minimum). GOT S7 was kinda rushed... TP was the opposite!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
whoisalhedges
RR Diner Member

Post by whoisalhedges »

yaxomoxay wrote:
whoisalhedges wrote: The Hound: "Fuck the plot."
Now we know... Diane is The Hound's tulpa!!!
:lol:

I'm with you. An embarrassment of riches.

I won't pretend that I liked GoT7 - but even bad Thrones is better than most good television was a decade or two ago. Even bad Thrones has episodes like "The Spoils of War," which was IMO one of the half-dozen best eps the series ever aired. I thought there were more problems with this last season than there had been with any season before; but I still enjoyed the hell out of it, and it didn't take the shine off my admiration of seasons 1-6 - just as the second half of season 2 doesn't detract from the achievements of Twin Peaks in season 1, 3, and the first 8 and final episodes of season 2.