Will the finale reveal "How's Annie"?

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Aerozhul
RR Diner Member

Will the finale reveal "How's Annie"?

Post by Aerozhul »

I'm still dying to know, after 26 years. I don't expect a Heather Graham cameo, but at least they could address this with just a few lines of dialogue? Before the season started, MacLachlan told a fan on FB that we will get an answer......
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Re: Will the finale reveal "How's Annie"?

Post by Soolsma »

Someone told me it would be covered in Frost's new book. Not 100% on this as it was not verifiable. However, given that we know Frost originally wanted to include more post s2 finale stuff in TSHOTP (spanning the 25 year gap) but didn't because it might have been detrimental to what we see in the series; it does not seem unlikely we'll find out more about Annie.

She might be mentioned in the finale, but I think that'll be it; a mention tops, I would not hold my breath for it. Seeing we've now found out what DoppelCoop has done to the women that were important in his live, I think her fate was pretty grim as well.
Last edited by Soolsma on Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

Aerozhul wrote:Before the season started, MacLachlan told a fan on FB that we will get an answer......
Wowzers, really?

Haven't read that before, but would be more than appreciated if they wrap the pretty much non-existent Annie "arc" rather than retcon her out completely.

Do I remember Heather Graham saying something along the lines of "I'm not supposed to talk about it" first, only to then change it to "I'm not in it" soon after that?
Not so sure about what to be sure about anymore... :)
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

dronerstone wrote:Do I remember Heather Graham saying something along the lines of "I'm not supposed to talk about it" first, only to then change it to "I'm not in it" soon after that?
Not so sure about what to be sure about anymore... :)
AFAIK she has always been straightforward about not knowing and not being involved.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
referendum
RR Diner Member

Post by referendum »

this is the MachLachlan tweet referred to above.
Question ''Will @Kyle_MacLachlan ever find out how Annie is?"
@Kyle_MacLachlan: '' Depend on it.''

https://twitter.com/Kyle_MacLachlan/sta ... -season%2F
''let's not overthink this opportunity''
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

nice. thanks.
referendum
RR Diner Member

Post by referendum »

dronerstone wrote:nice. thanks.
but, er, dated November 2014.
Might be just a signal of his apparently ever-present optimism. Still, maybe he had just read the ( first) script.
''let's not overthink this opportunity''
Ragnell
RR Diner Member

Post by Ragnell »

I suspect the fan theory that "Linda" is Annie's daughter may be true, and that would provide us an answer. Find Linda, we find out what happened to her mother.

Personally, I hope Annie went back to the convent and had a peaceful life of spiritual devotion. It seems like the natural choice for her after that experience, even if she did have a child.
PsychoFox
Roadhouse Member

Post by PsychoFox »

Ragnell wrote:I suspect the fan theory that "Linda" is Annie's daughter may be true, and that would provide us an answer. Find Linda, we find out what happened to her mother.

Personally, I hope Annie went back to the convent and had a peaceful life of spiritual devotion. It seems like the natural choice for her after that experience, even if she did have a child.
Walter told Norma in episode 15 that she didn't have any family.

Either Linda has no link with Annie, or it is confirmed, after the book, that Annie is no longer related to Norma.
Ragnell
RR Diner Member

Post by Ragnell »

PsychoFox wrote:
Ragnell wrote:I suspect the fan theory that "Linda" is Annie's daughter may be true, and that would provide us an answer. Find Linda, we find out what happened to her mother.

Either Linda has no link with Annie, or it is confirmed, after the book, that Annie is no longer related to Norma.
Or Walter didn't know Norma as well as he thought. He knew she had no husband or children, and was lightly dating her and knew her business. That doesn't mean he knew about her sister or niece, particularly if Annie returned to the convent and Linda went up for adoption.

And Walter certainly didn't know Norma as well as he thought. He couldn't even ever remember Ed's name, and didn't count Shelly as her family. How would he know about Annie, let alone Linda? Especially if both are being hidden by spiritual forces from Mr. C.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Ragnell wrote:
PsychoFox wrote:

Or Walter didn't know Norma as well as he thought. He knew she had no husband or children, and was lightly dating her and knew her business. That doesn't mean he knew about her sister or niece, particularly if Annie returned to the convent and Linda went up for adoption.

And Walter certainly didn't know Norma as well as he thought. He couldn't even ever remember Ed's name, and didn't count Shelly as her family. How would he know about Annie, let alone Linda? Especially if both are being hidden by spiritual forces from Mr. C.
It would be pretty weird to me if they did not at least mention Annie again in the series, given all the exposition that has been done in this series.

Frankly, if they don't, I think the motive will definitely be to get more of us to buy Frost's book (which I of course will buy anyway).
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

mtwentz wrote: Frankly, if they don't, I think the motive will definitely be to get more of us to buy Frost's book (which I of course will buy anyway).

Nah, come on... commercial motivations influencing L&F like that? I assume the series was written without taking into consideration what the book would become. The series being the main thing and the book just Frost's byproduct.

I know a lot of fans (myself included) really wanted to see the Annie thing played out in a big way, and very much expected it to be. Knowing that also enforces my suspicion that L&F felt going there would be too straight forward, flat, expected and, in several ways, too similar to the Laura Palmer mystery of the original run. Also, I suspect the omission is at least partially because they went with the Diane (and possibly Audrey) story and they didn't want another important female character who would be so heavily intertwined with Coop. So far, the whole Diane arc has been highly enigmatic and original, and I'm not sure an Annie story could have lived up to that.
Last edited by Soolsma on Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Soolsma wrote:
mtwentz wrote: Frankly, if they don't, I think the motive will definitely be to get more of us to buy Frost's book (which I of course will buy anyway).

Nah, come on... commercial motivations influencing L&F like that? I assume the series was written without taking into consideration what the book would become. The series being the main thing and the book just Frost's byproduct.

Actually, I suspect the omission is mostly because they went with the Diane (and possibly Audrey) story and they didn't necessarily want another important female character who's story would be heavily intertwined with Coop's. So far, the whole Diane arc has been highly enigmatic, and I'm not sure an Annie story could have lived up to that.
I should have worded it more carefully. If they don't mention Annie again, it means she wasn't important enough to have her final fate fully explained in the show, and thought it would be better addressed in the tie-in novel.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Seeing the story lines that still need some form of completion (I'm assuming Laura/Lee will also be a major player), there seems to be little space left to suddenly take a deep dive in to her story, therefore, more than a mention would probably be a stretch. But how could a mention ever be really satisfying? I'd regard just saying: ''she was raped and killed'', ''lived happily ever after'' or showing her head floating around in the lodge, just as cruel as leaving fans with ''how's Annie?'' for 25 years.

I'm really hoping for a detailed Frostian account on Annie in the Final Dossier!!
Ragnell
RR Diner Member

Post by Ragnell »

Soolsma wrote:
mtwentz wrote:I should have worded it more carefully. If they don't mention Annie again, it means she wasn't important enough to have her final fate fully explained in the show, and thought it would be better addressed in the tie-in novel.
Seeing the story lines that still need some form of completion (I'm assuming Laura/Lee will also be a major player), there seems to be little space left to suddenly take a deep dive in to her story, therefore, more than a mention would probably be a stretch. But how could a mention ever be really satisfying? I'd regard just saying: ''she was raped and killed'', ''lived happily ever after'' or showing her head floating around in the lodge, just as cruel as leaving fans with ''how's Annie?'' for 25 years.

I'm really hoping for a detailed Frostian account on Annie in the Final Dossier!!
Well, we'll get details from Frost but I don't think "She went back to the convent", "She got married a few years ago" or "She had a child" to be just as cruel. "She was raped and killed" without any details is cruel, but if Annie managed to avoid Doppelcoop's terror spree and we only find out through a throwaway line I'll be pretty relieved.

I mean, we might get a cameo or a mention but we know at this point Cooper isn't likely to go back to her. I don't think he's likely to go back to Audrey. He's just coming off an intensely emotion parting with a woman he genuinely thought he was married to--and who he slept with--until a short time ago. I can't see him moving to another romance, even back to an old romance with someone he adored, free of guilt or regret there. But it would be just so nice to find out that Annie isn't being examined in-depth because she did manage to escape further trauma. (This is why I have my fingers crossed for "returned to the convent". It establishes she was safe and in a peaceful place AND explains why we don't see her and she's not brought up very often.)