FINAL POLL!!!!!!! Your Reaction to The Return as a Complete Work

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Which option best describes your overall reaction to The Return as a complete work?

Poll ended at Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:09 pm

Like or Love
65%
Heavily Mixed, Leaning Towards Like
12%
Heavily Mixed, Leaning Towards Dislike
12%
Dislike or Hate
11%

Total votes: 353
Hercousin
Roadhouse Member

Re: FINAL POLL!!!!!!! Your Reaction to The Return as a Complete Work

Post by Hercousin »

My reaction is mixed...all I can say is that I'm happy we weren't allowed to forget about Laura's pain, and that Cooper's well-intentioned meddling showed that he could "erase" her death but not without profound consequences. I feel her story was given justice by the ending. What that story is I have no idea, but we've got some time for thinkin' now.

I think Laura is simultaneously with her angel in a modicum of peace, and also being relentlessly "saved" by Cooper.

I am a bit heartbroken, but not as heartbroken as I would be if everything wrapped up neatly. Life is currently a mystery to all of us and I think the ambiguous ending is more honest than the game of ball at the sheriff's station. Sometimes life gives us a guy with a deadly green glove and a mandate, and things are ok locally and temporarily. But there's an unknowable vastness out there like the woods pressing in on us and I don't think Cooper has figured out that he alone doesn't have the means to conquer it.

Eta story to ending.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Interesting that the "love" contingent seems to have dipped quite a bit post-finale (from around 80% in the prior thread to just above 60%). Aside from the many dangling threads and the terrible Bob orb battle, I thought the finale was among the strongest portions of TR, although I guess I can understand why Part 18 and particularly the ending might have put people off.
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

At this point, I still can't budge from "heavily mixed, leaning towards dislike," but if I were to rewatch it (not anytime soon), I might go upward. While I like the absurdist elements, and the middle finger to conventional plotting that the show had, sometimes I can't help but think that doing something that was a tad more conventional would have taken more guts on Lynch's part. As it is, he's going back to old ideas, copying rhythms from previous films and shoehorning them onto a plot where they don't necessarily belong (same thing he did with "MD", which, yes, I feel is his worst movie). I'm extremely conflicted about the last two parts, pretty much hating Part 17 at the moment because of the reality manipulation and usage of the old clips. However, I don't want to throw the baby out with the bathwater and say that what came before was awful because, aside from a few parts, storylines, some sketchy acting and filmmaking, it was okay stuff.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
Cipher
RR Diner Member

Post by Cipher »

I still have mixed feelings on some of its earlier portions, but the finale was so good upon a day of reflection that I think I love the whole thing. Changed my vote earlier.

Every new angle I approach the ending from, I like it even more -- and, concretely now, not just as an ending for The Return, but for Peaks.
Spacevessel

Post by Spacevessel »

A day after seeing the finale, I gave up my resentment.
I don't like S3, but it was great seeing everyone again, possibly for the last time.
"I should have been a pair of ragged claws, scuttling across the floors of silent seas."
The Gazebo
RR Diner Member

Post by The Gazebo »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:Interesting that the "love" contingent seems to have dipped quite a bit post-finale (from around 80% in the prior thread to just above 60%). Aside from the many dangling threads and the terrible Bob orb battle, I thought the finale was among the strongest portions of TR, although I guess I can understand why Part 18 and particularly the ending might have put people off.
There are lots of variables in these kinds of unofficial surveys. It's a lot easier to log on and hammer the keyboard if one is dissatisfied with something. People who love the show are probably spending time rewatching it as we speak (I know I would if the show had panned out that way for me). But yeah, I've noticed a couple of new members in our parts of the world.
BOB1
RR Diner Member

Post by BOB1 »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:Aside from the many dangling threads and the terrible Bob orb battle, I thought the finale was among the strongest portions of TR...
yes, but it also makes it hard - for me, obviously not for many others who found some kind of key how to interpret what I just find to be a mess - so it is hard for me to do the "aside" part. The dangling threads were left dangling or, what's a bigger fault, were proven useless and pointless. And the Bob orb battle was so stupid that I can see no other word to use instead... even though the episode was generally gripping and strong.
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB
Deep Thought
RR Diner Member

Post by Deep Thought »

BOB1 wrote: And the Bob orb battle was so stupid that I can see no other word to use instead... even though the episode was generally gripping and strong.
The Killer Bob Ball Battle is the key to the whole of The Return. The Dreamer is that six year old kid who shot up the RR, he is Freddy in the dream and beats the mean bad guy that all the stupid grown ups couldn't beat. Yeah! Whoo Hoo!

Well, that explains only part of it actually, so I'll keep working on this theory.
There's your roast beef and cheese.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

Hate it. It was made with hatred in its creator's heart, so not really a surprise that I hate it.

Actually, 'hate' is too strong a term, because that means I have to hold on to a grudge.

Twin Peaks had a huge impact on me as a 15 year old. The ending hung over me my whole life until now. I loved that show, even in its season two troughs.

The recent piece of contemptuous, hate-filled shit; the nihilistic, third-rate sketch show sold under the banner of 'Twin Peaks' has set me free.

David Lynch set a standard for me with his beautiful, dark movies with their optimistic beating heart and love of life beneath all the ugliness. TPTR was made by a David Lynch who seems to have talked himself into being his own evil doppelgänger/tulpa.

It was shit that only pseuds and post-modernists could claim any affection for.

Fuck it! I'd rather try to make my own films (no idle threat!) Critics would hate my films because I love life and love people, but fuck 'em!!
referendum
RR Diner Member

Post by referendum »

This is the kind of fan-judgement on here which is itself incredibly pretentious and arrogant - the idea that anyone who has a different opinion, or rates things that you don't, or even likes them, is a pseud. As a musician I have come across it all my life - people who angrilydismiss music they wouldn't listen to themselves as ' arty bollocks /soulless /pseud / shit ' or variants thereof. I have heard it said about jazz, about free improvising, about john cage's prepared piano stuff, about electro-acoustic stuff, about things like japanese music that do not use a western scale, about just about any kind of music which someone else can't listen to, especially things that are unconventional, they always bring mr and mrs angry out.

The American Sax player and composer John Zorn ( another one that gets dismissed as a post-modernist by people who don't like his records) called this kind of attitude 'musical racism'. I think that is a pretty good way of putting it, this need to slag other people off for liking or finding a value in something you hate or consider worthless. At any rate, it is a bit of a dead end.
Last edited by referendum on Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
''let's not overthink this opportunity''
BGAP

Post by BGAP »

Love it.
Mr. Jackpots
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Jackpots »

I am definitely in the loved it category.

I know there are a lot of mixed feelings about this week's finale. And the finale for me was definitely an emotional roller-coaster for me.

It felt like 2 endings for the price of one. For some moments there it looked like Good Dale would defeat Bad Dale, destroy Bob, change Laura's fate and reunite her with her loved ones. The happy and heartwarming ending.

Turns out Dale is still trapped in a terrible nightmare in which he cannot awaken. And he can't save anyone, including himself. The not so happy ending. But very powerful. As I am deeply saddened with the outcome.

Not to say I don't love The Return. It takes good storytelling to make one feel sad. And I've been left feeling sad and terrified for Coop.

What a ride. Bring on season 4. This material can jump right into IE mode now.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Mr. Jackpots wrote:It felt like 2 endings for the price of one.
Lynch give two rides. :lol:
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

referendum wrote:
This is the kind of fan-judgement on here which is itself incredibly pretentious and arrogant - the idea that anyone who has a different opinion, or rates things that you don't, or even likes them, is a pseud.
Nope. End of the day, you make a value judgement. I operate off objective reality. Is the show a cohesive piece of work or a dog's dinner? Is it narratively coherent? Does it elevate the spirit when you watch it or grind you into the dirt?

It's a hateful, anti-life dog's breakfast. It's post-modernist in that it's operating on reductionism: is it still art if you consciously try to avoid everything that makes a TV show good? You decide to have a narrative that makes no sense and is 95 per cent irrelevant. You shoot it to look like a videotaped 1990s episode of Eastenders. Rather than edit it properly, you dump the entire take on screen and move on. It's about taking away anything that's uplifting in art and still claiming it's art. It's back to proclaiming a urinal is art. It's postmodern. It's garbage.
powerleftist
Roadhouse Member

Post by powerleftist »

I voted "Dislike or Hate" just because what happens in the last two parts. Prior to that, I would have voted "Heavily Mixed, Leaning Towards Like".