FINAL POLL!!!!!!! Your Reaction to The Return as a Complete Work

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Which option best describes your overall reaction to The Return as a complete work?

Poll ended at Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:09 pm

Like or Love
65%
Heavily Mixed, Leaning Towards Like
12%
Heavily Mixed, Leaning Towards Dislike
12%
Dislike or Hate
11%

Total votes: 353
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

FINAL POLL!!!!!!! Your Reaction to The Return as a Complete Work

Post by Jasper »

This poll will run for ten weeks (the number of completion) in order to allow everyone to rewatch The Return without the long breaks between parts.

Votes will remain editable during this ten-week period to allow for changing perceptions upon rewatch and/or reflection.

The first poll, which covered parts 1-4, can be found here:
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=3552

The second poll, which covered parts 1-9, can be found here:
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=3604

The third poll, which covered parts 1-16, can be found here:
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=3695
Last edited by Jasper on Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
psyifinotic
Roadhouse Member

Re: FINAL POLL!!!!!!! Your Reaction to The Return as a Complete Work

Post by psyifinotic »

that sucked really bad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I've gone from "Heavily Mixed, Leaning Towards Like" to "Heavily Mixed, Leaning Towards Dislike" (and I almost just went straight to "Dislike or Hate" to be honest only I don't want to jump the gun and there were a few scenes here and there I liked throughout the 18 episodes), but overall, not a big fan. Maybe I'll change my mind one day or on rewatch, but I'm not so sure. I think overall this series was a missed opportunity. But I reserve the right to reconsider and laud it at a later stage. Right now I'm pretty mixed/disappointed, veering towards dislike.

Edit - I've changed my mind. I'm somewhere between "Like/Love" and "Mixed, Leaning Towards Like". I like it a lot for what it is. Still feel it was a missed opportunity in some ways in terms of continuing on with the original cast from the original series. But I've warmed to it a lot on rewatching.
Last edited by Jonah on Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Dreamy Audrey
RR Diner Member

Post by Dreamy Audrey »

I've gone from "Heavily Mixed, Leaning Towards Dislike" to "Hate" :(
Deep Thought
RR Diner Member

Post by Deep Thought »

Where are the clichés? I didn't notice any. Where was the fan service? I didn't see any. Where was the originality? In every blinking moment! From someone who is pained by conventional plotting and storytelling, I bow down to this creation.

I know the source, I know the pedigree, I trust appreciation will come to those who look for it. "But it's not what I think of as sound storytelling" is exactly why I love it! This is new for TV but not for art. I hope season 4 is even more aggravating!
There's your roast beef and cheese.
Calderon
Roadhouse Member

Post by Calderon »

Deep Thought wrote:Where are the clichés? I didn't notice any. Where was the fan service? I didn't see any. Where was the originality? In every blinking moment! From someone who is pained by conventional plotting and storytelling, I bow down to this creation.

I know the source, I know the pedigree, I trust appreciation will come to those who look for it. "But it's not what I think of as sound storytelling" is exactly why I love it! This is new for TV but not for art. I hope season 4 is even more aggravating!
All of this. It's a fucking masterpiece. My biggest fear was that we would have an over explaining and tame happy ending. If this will be the last we have heard about Twin Peaks, this will go down as maybe the greatest mystery of all time and I couldn't have hoped for more.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Mind-shattering. From deliverance to the abyss. Loved it.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

Heavily Mixed leaning towards like. Might change to like or love in the future.
DoppelBocker
Roadhouse Member

Post by DoppelBocker »

I can percieve 90's Twin Peaks and this as 2 totally separate projects. Yes, storylines from 90's stuff connects to The Return but I think the 90's stuff can still exist on own for those that disliked this.

I put heavily mixed leaning towards dislike. I DEFINITELY want a season 4. I think there's a lot left to explore from Season 3. I will say though that if a lot of the stuff from season 3 isn't addressed and spins further out the ground of a percieved story playing out will disappear entirely and we'll just be watching colored dots on the TV screen. I hope Season 4 maintains the grim tone but sorts things out some more and it could bring up the like meter on Season 3 in context.
Cipher
RR Diner Member

Post by Cipher »

Heavily mixed, leaning toward like.

There are any number of individual moments I find intensely powerful and unique. It's drawn tears and dread and wonder from me, and resonated on both intellectual and emotional levels. It also has some writing patterns I think are somewhat dishonest or half-drawn, especially compared to previous Lynch works. It's not perfect.

I'm unsure at this point whether its ending does itself more justice as a self-contained story responding to an older work, or as the finale to that older work. I'm also not sure if Laura and Cooper's story, which previously ended with their shared scene in Fire Walk With Me, is done more or less justice in the same way.

It's going to take some more parsing. But it certainly left me with a lot to both think about and feel. Not one to ignore in the Lynch canon.
DoppelBocker
Roadhouse Member

Post by DoppelBocker »

I'm unsure at this point whether its ending does itself more justice as a self-contained story responding to an older work, or as the finale to that older work. I'm also not sure if Laura and Cooper's story, which previously ended with their shared scene in Fire Walk With Me, is done more or less justice in the same way.
You said this better than I could. If I were to view it moreso as a finale to an older work the dislike meter increases drastically as just complicated things way too much but a response to an older work I'll play along with to an extent... If a S4 happens and really kind of trolls people by forgetting everything in S3 and just spinning out being undecipherable, I may watch but am not going to invest any time trying think about.

I do think Kyle McLachlan saying all make sense at the end of S3 doesn't seem to be the case.
Skip Bittman
Roadhouse Member

Post by Skip Bittman »

Better than the original, leaving us with piles to think about and so many places for things to go if they can continue. So glad this was made and everyone brought their A game.
counterpaul
RR Diner Member

Post by counterpaul »

An unqualified masterpiece! I am in awe and, as a writer and filmmaker, I feel like I have so much to learn from this. I'm utterly in awe.
Cipher wrote:I'm unsure at this point whether its ending does itself more justice as a self-contained story responding to an older work, or as the finale to that older work. I'm also not sure if Laura and Cooper's story, which previously ended with their shared scene in Fire Walk With Me, is done more or less justice in the same way.
I would posit a third option: I think TP's three major iterations (S1-S2, FWWM, and TPTR) are complimentary works. S1-S2 is the town's story, FWWM is Laura's story, and TPTR is Coop's story.

The ending of FWWM and the ending of TPTR obviously parallel and complicate one another, but they both make perfect, profound sense in their respective contexts.

Laura transcends but Coop cannot. Coop remains stuck, convinced that he can "solve" the past--illuminate its mysteries and repair its traumas. The final line, "what year is it," is so profound because Coop has spent most of his life sleepwalking through his present, missing the life he's been given, in favor of attempting to construct a past that cannot be.

TPTR, at its root, is about irreparable trauma. It's about Diane's "Dear Richard" letter; it's a about Carrie trying to keep a clean house and ending up with a corpse with a bullet in its head and a bunch of cleaning products strewn about; it's about how Coop feels he has to leave his family the second he finds himself consciously present and about how he can only return to them in the form of a stand-in; it's about the Palmer house: forever haunted.
Rik Renault
Roadhouse Member

Post by Rik Renault »

It's going to take some time to process but I feel a lot like I did at the end of Inland Empire. I'm frustrated but I think that's a good thing because it means I'm challenged. The final 2 parts defied any and every expectation and the show is going to have so much more repeat value now with the interpretations I'll draw from that I think. I'm bewildered.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

It made me bleed and I love it like a bad daddy.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.