S3: Biggest Disappointment About Unresolved Subplots?

Moderators: Annie, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne, Brad D

Which subplot left you most frustrated, wanting more?

Poll ended at Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:33 am

Audrey
49
42%
Sarah Palmer
32
28%
Red/Shelly/Bobby
17
15%
Becky/Steven/Gersten
2
2%
Ben/Beverly
2
2%
Other (please specify)
14
12%
 
Total votes: 116
User avatar
Mr. Reindeer
Posts: 2104
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:09 pm

Re: S3: Biggest Disappointment About Unresolved Subplots?

Postby Mr. Reindeer » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:43 am

I love the ambiguity of Ben asking Beverly to dinner, and like you, DL, I don't believe she was actually there. In a way it was almost like a mirror of Coop's "Diane" tapes in the old show, with the viewer meant to wonder if it was actually just a man talking to himself.
User avatar
MoondogJR
Posts: 256
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:13 am
Location: Belgium

Re: S3: Biggest Disappointment About Unresolved Subplots?

Postby MoondogJR » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:36 am

A bit weird perhaps, but I hoped Jerry (who was never one of my favourite characters) was going to have a more substantial role. Perhaps an encounter with BadCoop which would lead him to the Great Northern?

Anyway: I like to think Jerry went down to the basement of the Great Northern and perhaps found the 'portal' to the convenience store we saw in part 17. That could explain why he has become bonkers and why his path led him to BadCoop.
"Your log and I are on the same page."
User avatar
powerleftist
Posts: 98
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:40 pm

Re: S3: Biggest Disappointment About Unresolved Subplots?

Postby powerleftist » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:50 am

MoondogJR wrote:Anyway: I like to think Jerry went down to the basement of the Great Northern and perhaps found the 'portal' to the convenience store we saw in part 17. That could explain why he has become bonkers and why his path led him to BadCoop.


As I said before, all of the fanfic theories that I've read about what happened to Jerry were actually much more entertaining that what we got:

- His foot was possesed by The Arm.

- Mr. C seeing him and killing him.

- Jerry watching Richard die and reporting it back to the family.

- Jerry accidentally running into a portal and ending up in the Black Lodge.

And one of my own: Jerry finding Becky wrapped in plastic.

Anything! Anything would have been better!
vicksvapor77
Posts: 525
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:51 pm

Re: S3: Biggest Disappointment About Unresolved Subplots?

Postby vicksvapor77 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:53 am

Mr. Reindeer wrote:I love the ambiguity of Ben asking Beverly to dinner, and like you, DL, I don't believe she was actually there. In a way it was almost like a mirror of Coop's "Diane" tapes in the old show, with the viewer meant to wonder if it was actually just a man talking to himself.


Whether or not Beverly was there, I don't think anything romantic came of it. Despite it being the last "thread" of that quasi-romance, Beverly certainly appears to be in professional/"just friends" mode throughout the entire sequence with Sheriff Truman, which is the last time we see Beverly.
User avatar
mtwentz
Posts: 1610
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:02 am

Re: S3: Biggest Disappointment About Unresolved Subplots?

Postby mtwentz » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:41 am

David Locke wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:I went with Red. The Audrey and Sarah "resolutions" are rather jarring from a traditional narrative standpoint, but I actually kind of love how DKL left them. The ambiguity is clearly a conscious choice, and I far prefer it to the overexplaining of stuff like Judy and the Blue Rose. In a weird sense, the final Audrey shot in the white room is sort of the spiritual sibling to the monkey whispering "Judy" in FWWM -- a powerful wtf moment we can all debate and wonder over for the next 25 years.

But Red was introduced and then just tapered away. Becky's weird too. And while I've been an advocate of enjoying TR as a series of slice-of-life shorts/vignettes as opposed to demanding that every scene "mean something," I have to say that the soapy scene with Beverly and her husband wasn't strong enough to work on its own merits, and it led nowhere, so I really wonder why it was there. OTOH, the Ben/Beverly "listening" scenes have a romantic eerie mood, and for me, those scenes work on their own and don't need a "resolution."

Agreed completely. I think Beverly's character does feel unresolved without another scene - mostly just because the scene with her husband, as you say, wasn't very interesting by itself and seemed to be planting a seed for further development of Beverly whether at the GN or at home... I mean, it wasn't a self-contained little vignette that you could watch on its own and gain satisfaction. Her story seemed to be left hanging mid-air, though I agree at least we got the great scenes with Ben... But it still seems an odd choice.

And also, even her relationship with Ben could've been followed up on. What did happen with them? Did Ben give into her flirting and his temptations? After all, in Part 10, after taking Sylvia's call Ben suddenly calls out to ostensibly Beverly - even though we neither see nor hear her - and very directly asks if she'd like to get dinner. I actually have always seen this as ambiguous and likely a rhetorical question / Ben talking to himself. Not only do we not know if she was there, but we don't know if they did go to dinner, if there was an affair. I don't think it can be assumed just from that utterance, which has an almost theatrical, very self-conscious ring to it, making me doubt he's talking to anyone else - it sounds like a man entertaining subconscious desires very consciously, but not actually going all the way. As if his solitary calling out to Beverly was, after the stress of Sylvia's call, really a kind of "acting-out" out loud of what he'd like to do at that moment - but which he may be too morally upright to actually do in reality. So I don't think he was necessarily literally asking her because she was actually in earshot. It reads to me as a self-depreciating bit of desperation/self-pity on Ben's part, like "Ahh, okay, I give up - might as well do dinner, Beverly!" before putting his head in his hands in frustration. I think if L/F meant for us to think that dinner actually happened, that line isn't enough to go on.

But ANYWAY, Red. Absolutely do think it's odd he wasn't touched on again, wasn't seen. Even if he wasn't some big important source of all this magical or Lodge-infused drugs coming into TP, he had some kind of supernatural ability, and beyond that was simply an odd, fascinating character who you'd think we'd see again at least because of 2 factors - him dating Shelly, and simply the length and seeming importance of his first scene (which technically speaking causes the hit-and-run to occur). I really enjoyed Getty's scene in Part 6 and would have loved to have seen more. Honestly, he seems like a more intriguing villain than Mr. C was revealed to be, IMO, though admittedly that's partly because we only have a small glimpse of him.


Yep, agree both your take on Beverly an with Red. To be honest, Beverly-Ben was really boring to me and I see no reason for that scene with Beverly and her husband to have made the final cut. It did not stand on its own and required a payoff to be interesting on the re-watch.

Red on the other hand, was a really interesting character and I feel his scene with Richard stands alone as one of my favorite scenes. But it also leads me to want more (much more) and a resolution.

As for Steven and Becky- I am kind of on the fence about that one. It's hard to find anything likable about either character.
"Dougie is COOPER? How the Hell is this!?"
User avatar
nick1218
Posts: 79
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:56 am

Re: S3: Biggest Disappointment About Unresolved Subplots?

Postby nick1218 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:24 am

The bug in the mouth - come on, why do that if youre not going to give more about it
Skip Bittman
Posts: 92
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:30 am

Re: S3: Biggest Disappointment About Unresolved Subplots?

Postby Skip Bittman » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:33 am

Because it's a horrifying image that sticks in your mind? Leaving questions is the POINT.
RedHawk10
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:40 pm

Re: S3: Biggest Disappointment About Unresolved Subplots?

Postby RedHawk10 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:43 pm

I don't mind most of the unresolved subplots. The only thing that kind of disappointed me was not getting to see Annie again.
User avatar
Troubbble
Posts: 170
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:55 am

Re: S3: Biggest Disappointment About Unresolved Subplots?

Postby Troubbble » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:06 pm

Annie was always kind of a lame character, until David used her so interestingly in Fire Walk With Me. If there's one thing I can't understand, it's people wanting more of her.

The obsession on "How's Annie?" as a cliffhanger strikes me as silly, also. It's never been about the actual answer to the question (which is addressed by The Missing Pieces anyway), but how heinously wrong those words sounded coming out of Dale's mouth...

When David Bowie and Heather Graham were not listed on the cast list, people should've just made their peace with it.
User avatar
mtwentz
Posts: 1610
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:02 am

Re: S3: Biggest Disappointment About Unresolved Subplots?

Postby mtwentz » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:07 pm

Troubbble wrote:Annie was always kind of a lame character, until David used her so interestingly in Fire Walk With Me. If there's one thing I can't understand, it's people wanting more of her.

The obsession on "How's Annie?" as a cliffhanger strikes me as silly, also. It's never been about the actual answer to the question (which is addressed by The Missing Pieces anyway), but how heinously wrong those words sounded coming out of Dale's mouth...

When David Bowie and Heather Graham were not listed on the cast list, people should've just made their peace with it.


I don't think it's so much of wanting more of her, but it just seems logical since Cooper went to the Lodge to rescue her, that he would be interested in her final fate.

Lynch and Frost went out of their way to make sure her final fate remained a mystery. Maybe it will be addressed by Frost's book, but I would not be the farm on it :-).
"Dougie is COOPER? How the Hell is this!?"
Agent Earle
Posts: 776
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:55 am

Re: S3: Biggest Disappointment About Unresolved Subplots?

Postby Agent Earle » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:26 pm

Troubbble wrote:Annie was always kind of a lame character, until David used her so interestingly in Fire Walk With Me. If there's one thing I can't understand, it's people wanting more of her.

The obsession on "How's Annie?" as a cliffhanger strikes me as silly, also. It's never been about the actual answer to the question (which is addressed by The Missing Pieces anyway), but how heinously wrong those words sounded coming out of Dale's mouth...

When David Bowie and Heather Graham were not listed on the cast list, people should've just made their peace with it.


Nobody said (not that I know of, at least) that he/she wanted to actually see Annie in this season. There were some speculations about a possible cameo from Graham, since it became clear from the cast list she clearly isn't meant to be a major character here, but that's as far as it went. However, simply doing away with someone who - and the fact cannot be argued or ignored, no matter how lame she seems to this viewer or that or even The Master himself - got Cooper to enter the Lodge with "some girl who went there with Cooper" remark is lameness personified, and all the more so since it came from the series' founding fathers of all people. You're right, it's not about the actual answer to Cooper's inquiry, it's about acknowledging the character's friggin' existence (and going by her previously established name while doing it). Oh well, what can be expected from the show written by the two guys who didn't even bother to watch the(ir own) previous material before they set out to write the new installments and who don't even read each other's contributions to the universe if their names are not on them. Super-duper lame. And Lynch's drooling over his current female muses doesn't excuse it. Nor does the supposed fact he wasn't responsible for the creation of the character (hence: he didn't want nothing to do with her this time around) as he was absent from the series at the time (which was HIS OWN DOING).
Agent Earle
Posts: 776
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:55 am

Re: S3: Biggest Disappointment About Unresolved Subplots?

Postby Agent Earle » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:32 pm

mtwentz wrote:
I don't think it's so much of wanting more of her, but it just seems logical since Cooper went to the Lodge to rescue her (or did he???), that he would be interested in her final fate.


mtwentz wrote:Lynch and Frost went out of their way to make sure her final fate remained a mystery. Maybe it will be addressed by Frost's book, but I would not be the farm on it :-).


Rest assured it won't be addressed in Frost's book. He's too busy retconning all the facts and previous data he doesn't like at the moment. The fact that he somewhat hinted at possibly providing the answer makes it all the more certain that it wont be so - #keepthemysteryalive'n'all.
User avatar
alreadygoneplaces
Posts: 147
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:05 pm

Re: S3: Biggest Disappointment About Unresolved Subplots?

Postby alreadygoneplaces » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:25 pm

TP:TR was a failure because it didn't answer the following crucial questions:

- Did the Woodsman ever finally ever get to smoke that cigarette?
- Did the man from episode 1/2 ever catch up with Sheriff Truman about insurance? After episode 17, I think he'll need to put in a claim...
- Where does Wally Brando's shadow go on cloudy days and at night?
User avatar
Jerry Horne
Posts: 4242
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:28 pm
Location: Private Portland Airport
Contact:

Re: S3: Biggest Disappointment About Unresolved Subplots?

Postby Jerry Horne » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:27 pm

Not enough Chip.
User avatar
Novalis
Posts: 431
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:18 pm

Re: S3: Biggest Disappointment About Unresolved Subplots?

Postby Novalis » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:09 pm

I'm still desperately aching to know why Frank Truman was surreptitiously browsing digital fish pictures in part 15. We know he'd been fishing recently because in part 1 Lucy told the 'Man in Suit' insurance agent (Allen Galli) that, of the two Sheriff Trumans, 'one is sick and the other is fishing'.

Possibly he caught some kind of fish he didn't recognise and was trying to identify it. It could make a difference.


It could make a difference.
As a matter of fact, 'Chalfont' was the name of the people that rented this space before. Two Chalfonts. Weird, huh?

Return to “Season 3 (2017) The Return (Spoilers)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests