Recut of TPTR

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

TweetPeak
Roadhouse Member

Recut of TPTR

Post by TweetPeak »

soo..anyone got good ideas what you can trim. obvsly you CANNOT (THOU SHALL NOT) cut David Lynch´s
16h23minutes Masterpiece into something different.
.........you can! obvsly theres some fatty tissue there that needs to be trimmed.
What can we cut? wat shall left on the cutting room floor?

WHAT MUSIC FROM ANGELO can we put into?
Guys let your ideas flow!
gfh110

Re: Recut of TPTR

Post by gfh110 »

I've thought about a re-cut, but I personally wouldn't remove anything. At least not out of the gate. I'd be more interested in the possibility of separating all the story lines into chronological order. It's tough to do in some places because occasionally the story lines intersect, but a lot of the action is kept remarkably isolated. Here's how I envision it:

1. Cooper's journey - Includes all the Red Room/Lodge/Mauve Zone scenes involving Cooper. Covers the Dougie/Las Vegas/Mitchum stuff and ends with Cooper waking up & his crew heading to Twin Peaks at the end of Episode 16.
2. Mr. C's journey - All the doppelganger shenanigans, including Episode 8. Major crossover with the FBI story while Mr. C is in prison. Ends with him entering the vortex at Jack Rabbit's Palace.
3. FBI Blue Rose team - Starts with the NYC glass box scenes and covers the team's investigation into Cooper and the Bill Hastings/Major Briggs stuff. Ends with the Tulpa-Diane confrontation and, again, this crew heading off to Twin Peaks.
4. Twin Peaks - Basically all the sheriff's station / town scenes. Nothing too complicated here.
5. Finale - With a couple scenes shifted from Episode 17 to other story lines, you could re-cut the last two parts into a 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 hour finale pretty much as it was presented. Or it could be tacked on to the end of Cooper's story.
6. BONUS Roadhouse Concert Series - Starts with the Audrey/Charlie scenes, proceeds into a remarkable line-up of musical performances occasionally interspersed with local patrons discussing unrelated topics. Ends with Audrey's Dance.
Exceptional.
The Brown Lodge
RR Diner Member

Post by The Brown Lodge »

This should have been an 8 or 9 episode series.

I would have episodes 1,2,3,4,8,16,17,18, maybe with 1 slower less-significant episode.

with the more relevant pieces from other episodes patched in.

Most of the Las Vegas storyline would be cut.
garethw
RR Diner Member

Post by garethw »

I keep toying with the idea of building a database for all the scenes, with info on who and what is in each seen, as well as maybe time-order dependencies on other scenes, and time-codes into the source material. So you'd be able to generate and watch playlists of stuff you're interested in. It sort of fits in with Davd Lynch's suggestion that maybe the parts should be watched in arbitrary order.

A new edit every day.
oxyboldine
Roadhouse Member

Post by oxyboldine »

I've began to work on that idea around Part 8, now I have to update it. As you, I like the idea to study the different storylines with videos - Mister C / The Good Dale / Twin Peaks. I'll probably do also a video for the FBI Team. I tried also to do chronological videos (a video for 9/24, a video for 9/25...)
Here are the last updates on "The Good Dale" story: http://tp3theories.canalblog.com/archiv ... 54591.html
And here is a previous attempt to work on the chronology with videos, that I will have to update too: http://tp3theories.canalblog.com/archiv ... 03092.html
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

Personally, I found the whole Audrey "arc" pretty useless, but hey, at least it floats some boats. :)

I guess David Lynch is a rich old dude who wanted to get some friends good money and a little attention boost for minimalist acting work (Sherilyn did like, roughly 15 minutes or what?).

I'm fine with that!
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

I was actually considering doing one. Color correcting and then cropping the aspect ratio to fullscreen, maybe even adding the green credits in the beginning of each ep. But the police station showdown in ep 17 really put me off. It was too campy and ridiculous. BOB and the doppelganger deserved better resolution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TweetPeak
Roadhouse Member

Post by TweetPeak »

even the SHO chef wants one

"Nevis also said he doesn't think Lynch will do a recut of the current season, and that it will likely remain tied to Showtime. "If he wants to, I'll support him, I'll pay for it, I would love it, but I can't imagine he would do that," Nevis explained."
Ragnell
RR Diner Member

Post by Ragnell »

Comparison cuts. Characters parallel and mirror each other, it would be interesting to watch a thematic storyline play out by putting in a character's storyline PLUS the parallels. Like, Diane and Janey-E are clearly contrasted. A cut with the Dougie and Janey-E scenes compared to the Diane and Cooper scenes. Andy and Lucy paired with Candie and the girls. The Mitchem Brothers and the Horne Brothers. Jerry and Dougie. All the Fatherhood arcs (Bobby, Sonny Jim and Richard's story arcs with the appropriate supporting scenes) in one cut. All the mothers in one cut centered around Sarah to try and ID the Motherhood themes. (Audrey, Janey-E, Doris--All of the mothers in this show are damaged in some way.)

If we really wanted to get into it, add the originals, FWWM and TMP to the database and see what people can come up with.
nimeoa
Roadhouse Member

Post by nimeoa »

I'd absolutely love a recut or fan edit of this. However, it's such an absolute mess with no running narrative connections other than the Dougie Jones stuff that it seems impossible, or at least an extremely daunting task. And now that I think about it, the ending would negate any kind of recut anyhow.
Ragnell
RR Diner Member

Post by Ragnell »

nimeoa wrote:I'd absolutely love a recut or fan edit of this. However, it's such an absolute mess with no running narrative connections other than the Dougie Jones stuff that it seems impossible, or at least an extremely daunting task. And now that I think about it, the ending would negate any kind of recut anyhow.
Ah, but that's the FUN of it. A chronological recut of this series would be a massive undertaking. Lynch/Frost left clues about the timing all over the place and we're still having trouble figuring out where all the plots intersect. Whoever managed to put it all in order would be a Fan Legend.
TweetPeak
Roadhouse Member

Post by TweetPeak »

in the beginning i would check those lenghty scenes and quish them - so to get the essentials out of it.
that happens for ep 1-18.

i think everyone would agree that the random Roadhouse Artists have to go (maybe as someone suggested,
into a special "Roadhouse Live" Film).

After that process it would be join the episodes into one Big movie, to see how it feels.

From that there is a need for changing scenes in their order AND/OR getting rid of storylines that
are

a) dull
b) cheesy
c) drag on

(as for example: the fight "Mate" v/s BOB in Ep 17 just kept on, was dull and cheesy)

a clever recut of that sequence might see the "Mate" smash Bob with only one hit.

there is the question if the Recut will be about 2 or 3 hours, or if there will be a total
new recut (lets say 9 episodes a 50-60 minutes).

I really would like to see the original Intro brought back, kinda remixed but with
the Bird. theres no need to include 240 Actors in that, but if we do get a "Recut" with
9 Episodes it might be nice to have the actors that appear in every episode
to be in that intro (and minor ones in the end credits).
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Cut Wally Brando, leave everything else. :lol:
Kilmoore
RR Diner Member

Post by Kilmoore »

I was planning on working on a recut, and waited to see where the story was going. Unfortunately, what you can cut is episodes 1-16 (maybe parts of 8 can be used). There's no story to cut here.
The Gazebo
RR Diner Member

Post by The Gazebo »

garethw wrote:I keep toying with the idea of building a database for all the scenes, with info on who and what is in each seen, as well as maybe time-order dependencies on other scenes, and time-codes into the source material. So you'd be able to generate and watch playlists of stuff you're interested in. It sort of fits in with Davd Lynch's suggestion that maybe the parts should be watched in arbitrary order.

A new edit every day.
Man, that would be spectacular. A whole new life for the show. Who can "create" the best episode?

I'm a sucker for nighttime scenes, so I'd head straight for a full-blown evening episode :) Would probably include lots of driving, though :)