Poll: Would you like to see a 4th season happen? (SPOILERS PERMITTED)

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Would you like to see a 4th season happen?

Yes
65%
No
17%
Unsure
18%

Total votes: 264
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Poll: Would you like to see a 4th season happen? (SPOILERS PERMITTED)

Post by Soolsma »

Yes or no.
Last edited by Soolsma on Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Cipher
RR Diner Member

Re: Poll: Would you like to see a 4th season happen? (SPOILERS PERMITTED)

Post by Cipher »

I don't need one, but if Lynch and Frost have somewhere they want to take it, I wouldn't say no!

Though I really like this as an ending too. A little conflicted.
counterpaul
RR Diner Member

Post by counterpaul »

At this very moment, I can't really imagine what it would be. This felt like a true ending to me.

I mean, sure, there were tons of characters left dangling in all sorts of ways, and I'm sure there are absolutely wonderful stories Lynch and Frost could tell about them, but that's only part of the equation. The piece needs an overall driving force--a reason to exist. The last thing I'd want to see is a Twin Peaks just spinning its wheels because it can. Happily, I don't think Lynch would do that.

So, I guess the question is: Where can Cooper go from here? It feels extremely truthful to me to leave him ever-seeking, ever lost in the unsolvable mystery of who he truly is and how his genuinely noble intentions are not enough, unable to let go of his need to "make...sense of it."

I'm certainly 100% up for it if Lynch/Frost find a suitable motor! But, be prepared: If another season does happen, I am completely confident that "there are some things that will change."

In the meantime, my fondest hope is that Lynch catches another idea (whatever it is) and Showtime bankrolls it no questions asked and I can go back to getting a weekly Lynch fix again. I'm already jonesing!
ShelleyAgedWell

Post by ShelleyAgedWell »

Not bothered either way, so I voted "Unsure"

The Return wasn't what I thought it would be, and while I went along for the ride this time around, and did enjoy some aspects of it, I'm fine with not seeing anymore.
Novalis
RR Diner Member

Post by Novalis »

Very unsure of this question.

I think this has to be the end for the continuity that's been established and we've had since 1990. So many actors gone, so many no returns; I don't think it would hold up with a skeleton crew of the few surviving members of the cast propped up by new faces. Especially having gone this far and through all this. The series as it has stood for 27 years feels to me to be very much at its end now. A lot has been dispensed with, or has been done as far as it can be, and it makes no sense doing it again just for the sake of it.

Having said that, entirely different stories set in the universe of Twin Peaks (which obviously would not be limited to Twin Peaks the town), between different residents, families, and travellers could work as standalone pieces. I'd also welcome a period piece drawing on Frost's excursus, a historical prologue or something of that nature.

Twin Peaks as a vehicle for telling any story appeals to me. I don't feel like Lynch and Frost have to be married to Cooper and Laura and the Lodges to do something viable with this world they created. And, in principle, I'm not against the idea of them handing over the screenwriting reigns to a circle of friends either, as long as they give it back when all is said and done.
As a matter of fact, 'Chalfont' was the name of the people that rented this space before. Two Chalfonts. Weird, huh?
douglasb
RR Diner Member

Post by douglasb »

I wonder if actors would be queuing up to appear in quite the same way, having seen how this panned out.
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

Considering that this season was a nearly metafictional treatise on the absurdity of continuing something from the past, I really don't know what anything further would be. Lynch sort of made this as a dumping ground or sandbox for ideas he has probably been kicking around for years, less to be respectful of anything in the world of "TP" itself. I'd like to have resolution to some plot threads, but what would be done with the rest of the time? Just more musical guests, same as this? I don't think it's worth it. I would like him to work with Showtime again, but on something else perhaps, and shorter.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
Low Entropy
Roadhouse Member

Post by Low Entropy »

"Yes or no" is a bad choice. I don't think anything needs to be added to Season 3, but if Lynch wants it, I'm happy with it, because it would mean new Lynch *and* Twin Peaks material. In both cases it would be okay with me. It's up to Lynch and Frost to decide it.
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

In addition to my above post, I would only be open to it if it's the exact conditions of this -- Lynch directing the whole thing, 100% creative control (of course if the latter weren't given, he wouldn't do it anyway).
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
Rami Airola
RR Diner Member

Post by Rami Airola »

Yes.

I want to see Cooper, Diane and Laura be the Mrs. Tremond, the Grandson etc. to some poor girl who is suffering from abuse and dealing with sinister forces.

Cooper and Diane would sometimes inhabit Richard and Linda. Laura would sometimes inhabit Carrie.

EDIT:
I mean, I would like to see Twin Peaks from the perspective of a spirit such as Mrs. Tremond.
wxray
RR Diner Member

Post by wxray »

Nope. Done. It deserves to be over.
ThumbsUp
RR Diner Member

Post by ThumbsUp »

Unsure.

Going into it, I didn't think they'd be able to top the subject matter and what seemed to me, going in, a definitive ending.

But it subverted my expectations so much and left so many things unanswered that now, I don't know.

They could do it, but I think they should let it sit. I'd only be onboard if it were Lynch and Frost again.
Terence
Roadhouse Member

Post by Terence »

Well look at it this way also..when if a season 4 happens we will be saying the same thing again at the end of that season should there be a season 5 made?

So like it has to be over & done with sometime & from the looks of it David or Mark will not give it nice happy ending no matter how many seasons they make of it.

Dale Cooper is in a new timeline//reality he will have to go on living hes new life wherever he goes & ends up doing.

This woman Dale thought was Laura Palmer but is Carrie Page will go on living her life also i guess.

Where can a season 4 even go at this point what would be the hook of the story of it?

Many things could be thought up by David & Mark of course for a story
Maybe Cooper finds a way back into the Lodges again to get back to hes own timeline//reality?

Or maybe this is just the end of the story with it being bittersweet & all but as i said it has to end at some point & time be it now or future season.
DoppelBocker
Roadhouse Member

Post by DoppelBocker »

Unsure.

If Frost wants to assume dominant control for a full season, I wouldn't mind that. As long as he's willing to kill characters off, have things end not always cheerfully, and go where the story dictates to keep things unpredictable. Lynch I would like involved as well. I just think the initial series perhaps benefited from many minds collaborating together.

I don't think it's really necessary for every character that appears in the series to be wondering what the heck they're up to then move onto the next character can't tell what heck they're up to then move on entirely. A lot of the unanswered stuff in Season 3 could make a full season trying to answer half of it while still keeping new narrative going.
BigEd
RR Diner Member

Post by BigEd »

This is a silly thread (no offense to the OP, it is entertaining). People interested enough in Twin Peaks, even after the end of the current season, are taking the time to come to the forum and vote that they don't want more?? Crazy!!! :lol:

What are you all planning to watch that is better??