Poll: Would you like to see a 4th season happen? (SPOILERS PERMITTED)

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Would you like to see a 4th season happen?

Yes
65%
No
17%
Unsure
18%

Total votes: 264
crash_and_burn
Roadhouse Member

Re: Poll: Would you like to see a 4th season happen? (SPOILERS PERMITTED)

Post by crash_and_burn »

ThumbsUp wrote:
Deep Thought wrote:
"From a financial perspective, Nevins says Twin Peaks has exceeded expectations."

That says it all.
Wow, just now seeing this.

As far as the actual possibility of S4, it seems far better than if you had asked me a week ago, due to the unforeseen number of explorable story threads and apparently financial performance.
With what's goingnonnin the world, they shouldn't dilly dally.

Just do it Mark and David, Kyle and Laura, Grace and Sheryl!!

Do it now, before it's too late and you alln look back and sigh and say, "awww shit, I guess it's too late."
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

ThumbsUp wrote:
Deep Thought wrote:
"From a financial perspective, Nevins says Twin Peaks has exceeded expectations."

That says it all.

As far as the actual possibility of S4, it seems far better than if you had asked me a week ago, due to the unforeseen number of explorable story threads and apparently financial performance.
Personally I don't think they can pull off a full series (10+ episodes). However I can see them doing a miniseries (4 episodes) or a very long movie that wraps up some context. Not many answers, but context.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
crash_and_burn
Roadhouse Member

Post by crash_and_burn »

yaxomoxay wrote:
ThumbsUp wrote:
Deep Thought wrote:

That says it all.

Personally I don't think they can pull off a full series (10+ episodes). However I can see them doing a miniseries (4 episodes) or a very long movie that wraps up some context. Not many answers, but context.

If not, I certainly hope there are "Other Things that Happened" deleted scenes included with any box-set release.
ThumbsUp
RR Diner Member

Post by ThumbsUp »

crash_and_burn wrote:
yaxomoxay wrote:
ThumbsUp wrote:

If not, I certainly hope there are "Other Things that Happened" deleted scenes included with any box-set release.
Yeah, I'd love a season 3 "Missing Pieces" type thing. I dunno... I think I'd be fine with them just calling it. But still, I was pretty skeptical about whether a season 4 would happen, but now I'm thinking anything can happen.
AgentEcho
RR Diner Member

Post by AgentEcho »

I'm still struggling with the finale as an ending, but I think it potentially works great as a cliffhanger to be continued, leaving many intriguing possibilities for the story to go in. I don't want to think of it that way since it still seems more likely this is the end. But yes, if Lynch is directing I'd like to see a 4th season.
MysteryMan14
Roadhouse Member

Post by MysteryMan14 »

I voted for Yes even though I'm not in love with TP:TR but now is the only chance to get more of this TP World. Lynch, Frost, Kyle, Fenn and Lee getting older too fast so if not now then It wont happen again and this world will be dead as Laura's (yes she's dead).
Novalis
RR Diner Member

Post by Novalis »

I'd be interested to know how much was filmed but cut from season 3 before I start contemplating season 4 properly.

If there's a substantial amount, it could even be put to good use in a season 4 / miniseries / film.
As a matter of fact, 'Chalfont' was the name of the people that rented this space before. Two Chalfonts. Weird, huh?
powerleftist
Roadhouse Member

Post by powerleftist »

If there is a new season (I wouldn't bet a dime on it), it will focus even less on Twin Peaks and old characters, perhaps only tangentially. If Showtime validates Lynch by giving him more money, then S4 will be Inland Empire 2.
OrsonWelles
Roadhouse Member

Post by OrsonWelles »

If The Return is the end, that's fine. I did enjoy the journey a lot, though. Haven't had this with another contemporary series this way.
Pinky
RR Diner Member

Post by Pinky »

I was against carrying it on, but I never really seriously considered that Lynch and Frost would be doing anything but wrapping it up at the end (in their own very ambiguous way, of course), whereas it seems like they had other plans. The epilogue feels almost like a challenge to Showtime. If we didn't know they'd read the script beforehand you could almost imagine they'd be pissed at Lynch and Frost: they ran a glacial pace (not a criticism itself, I couldn't be happier) up until a quick payoff in E17, before devoting the whole of 18 to setting up a potential fourth season that will almost certainly give diminishing returns financially. I can't really see any other way to read it.

Of course, I think this will be the de facto end, and it works in the sense that we're always going to be left wanting and theorizing (which is great, it was the one thing I thought i'd miss from having a S3: the sense of wonder, joy and melancholy from the FWWM ending, but we got an updated version so all's good), but I don't see it as a constructed ending, no matter how dark and ambiguous it is. Briggs telling Coop that Frank has the key to the boiler room Lodge entrance, the Fireman's clues, etc: theres nothing that suggests we've seen anything other than a bump in Coop's road. If it ends here, we theorize and talk and Peaks' mystique and allure is guaranteed for the foreseeable, and Lynch and Frost come out on top. If someone takes them up on a fourth, they come out on top and we get more madness (and no resolution, of course). Win-win, for them.

Just to clarify, i'm not someone who's pining for the first and second seasons, i'm in it for the world building and the FBI arc. Hard to see how any fourth season could take place in the original timeline Twin Peaks, and if the whole thing takes place in that disturbing alternate timeline then it's going to be a very different beast. All well and good but given that they don't give a damn about shedding viewers or taking the story away from Peaks completely then its hard to see how it'd get greenlit on a budget that would make filming it possible, unless it's ten episodes of Maclachlan in front of a greenscreen with the late 90s effects. Not sure if they'd even be able to afford MacLachlan..
Pinky
RR Diner Member

Post by Pinky »

Novalis wrote:I'd be interested to know how much was filmed but cut from season 3 before I start contemplating season 4 properly.

If there's a substantial amount, it could even be put to good use in a season 4 / miniseries / film.
I don't think there was much at all? By all accounts they were being super economical even though not shooting on film, just shooting the script. A couple of times you can tell that they didn't film enough footage even for the stuff they did want to put on screen.
powerleftist
Roadhouse Member

Post by powerleftist »

Not only I doubt there are missing pieces, I would go as far as to say that those sweeping floor and shovel painting scenes were fillers to get to stretch each part into an hour long.

If anything was left off, I guess it's because it wasn't good or didn't eventually make sense.
whoisalhedges
RR Diner Member

Post by whoisalhedges »

Novalis wrote:I'd be interested to know how much was filmed but cut from season 3 before I start contemplating season 4 properly.

I don't think (no inside info, just from what I've heard Sutherland say) there was anything substantial that was in the script and didn't get filmed, and ultimately into the show.

I voted yes, but I am not really sure I want another season - I might be more interested in a movie or two.

Here's the thing, and it might not be a popular opinion: I think Dale Cooper's story has been told. He is going to keep trying to Save the Girl; he is going to keep failing. His tragic flaw is his need to be the hero; and in this case he can't. He was given the information he needed to know, in Lodgespace and in our world (FFS, there was a goddamn dead body - and a white horse - in Carrie's living room); and yet he still tried to put everything "right."

It cannot be put right. A child was raped and murdered by her father. Nothing will ever be right about that.

He might have been able to help Audrey - sure sounds like the Arm was pointing him in that direction. He could have tried, like Jefferies, Briggs, and Cole, to mitigate the pernicious influence of Judy. Instead, for him, Laura was the One.

But NOT the "one" in the sense of the REAL Laura. The Laura whose self-sacrificial defeat of BOB was far more meaningful than Freddy god-punching him to bits. Coop never knew Laura, she's just an image to him. I think I get the Red Room now; and it is a dream. But it's a shared dream, it is a space that is "real" for the purposes of our story; but it's not in the woods, on the mountain, it is a place that exists within each of us, within each of the characters in Twin Peaks.

Laura is dead. Yet she lives within that dream. She feels like she knows Laura, she is the MFAP/Arm's "cousin" - she is an image of Laura; just as the Cooper in Laura's angel scene was an image of the Good Dale. A reflection.

In chasing that, Coop failed. He is trying to save the damsel in distress; when he should be honoring a fallen hero. Laura's victory resulted in her death; and to take that death away from her is to return her to a cycle of abuse. In intercepting Laura on her was to meet Leo, Jacques, and Ronnette; Coop robbed her of her victory.

And he will continue to do so; and he will continue to be tossed back on that Infinite Eight - sadly, his story has been told.

But.

I think there are plenty of stories in Twin Peaks. Surely the ones, the threads left hanging. But I could even see someone like Tammy breaking the cycle of Judy. Albert is sadly gone; and as much as I love Gordon Cole, I'm not sure I need to see another few hours of Lynch talking about his dick. :lol:

If Frost & Lynch have more stories to tell, I would love to hear them.
powerleftist
Roadhouse Member

Post by powerleftist »

whoisalhedges wrote:Coop never knew Laura, she's just an image to him.
Pinky
RR Diner Member

Post by Pinky »

IcedOver wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:Would have probably leaned toward "no" before Sunday night -- I thought it was extremely unlikely that L/F would have the energy/inclination to do this again and was hoping for a closed ending.

After having seen Part 18, my answer is a resounding "yes." I'm happy with what we got as an ending if that's what L/F want. But if they have more to say, I want to hear it.
That's why I'm finding it hard in evaluating what we got -- we don't know what they want to do, if they have any concrete inclination to do more and left all this open for that, or if it was intentionally left so totally obscure to prove an absurd point.
My thoughts exactly. Although it works as a bleak ending, and it's pretty powerful, I think there's more they could and would have done with it if they were not returning. Way too much dramatic meat left on the bone, plenty of people who'd be dead or in any number of really crazy situations. I think it's really hard to imagine them not grabbing a barnstorming, ambiguous yet emotionally devastating ending unless they had a good reason not to. It feels like a compromise, albeit one that leans heavily towards the show continuing at some point. I mean, all the characters are grouped up and basically ready to go.

Don't want this to sound like wish fulfilment. I was fine with it being done, and if i'm shocked by the finale, it's because I was very certain they were done.