Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Satisfied Support Group

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

chalfont
Roadhouse Member

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Satisfied Support Group (SPOILERS)

Post by chalfont »

Xavi wrote:
mtwentz wrote:The conversation is dying down for now- the show has been over for 4 months, so with no new season or episode, it's natural there's not a lot to talk about.
Not a lot to talk about? What is this? A joke? I would love to talk about each and every detail, all kinds of theories, and interpretations, investigations, discoveries, insights, etc, etc. But, I am not a type of person that enjoys talking to a wall.

I remember discussing IE on the IMDB-boards for years and years, despite all kinds of trolls trying to ruin each civilised conversation. It almost lasted about 10 years in total before it dried up a bit, and before IMDB killed their goose with the golden eggs.

People should feel free to share their thoughts, without any restriction, but I do not have the impression that the majority on this forum shows a genuine affection to TPS3, which limits the amount of contributions. This "majority" or dominant group rather enjoys conflicts, battling debate, ridicule each and every detail, instead of engaging a fair discussion based on what's in the "movie" and based on arguments.
I think it's natural the discussion dies out now for a while. Most fans probably need to let time work on season 3. We've been bombarded with so much last year and after the initial discussions maybe it's time to leave it for a while and grow on us. I remember (and maybe a lot of other felt this way as well, allthough 25 years back in time is hard to remember) I never "got" that season 1/season 2 was so amazing immediatly after watching the show. Most episodes back then left me confused and... annoyed? It took me a while to really grasp how wonderful it actually was. I guess season 3 need to quietly work inside my head before I get peace with all the stuff that right now troubles me. That said; I'm NOT saying we should put the discussions on hold - I still consume every bit of TP info/discussions/videos I come across!!!
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

For my part, I thought that everyone should have still been talking about Twin Peaks months after it ended; I was sad a couple weeks after the finale to see so many conversations (across the internet) dry up, as people moved on to the next news. Which is totally unfortunate, because this is not only something you don't see every day, a once in a lifetime event, with limitless paths to dissect and discuss, the exact kind of thing that is not easily consumed and should keep conversations unfolding and fans wrestling, but also, come on, a truly astounding landmark work of art beyond almost anything made in modern times. But then again, I too was guilty of such a thing, but that didn't mean that I wasn't thinking about it nonstop, which I still am, and communicating with those around me about it, which I can't help but do as much as possible. I just haven't found the time to post many thoughts, but I just finished my 6th viewing of the season, and can't wait to think of it more before diving back in.
Last edited by LateReg on Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

Xavi wrote:but I do not have the impression that the majority on this forum shows a genuine affection to TPS3, which limits the amount of contributions. This "majority" or dominant group rather enjoys conflicts, battling debate, ridicule each and every detail, instead of engaging a fair discussion based on what's in the "movie" and based on arguments.
The vast majority of the people that post here loved the season - as you will see reflected in the polls here. The toxic negative environment is mainly created by 3-4 people that post the exact same rant almost daily in the "disappointed" thread and elsewhere. Once we learn to stop commenting on there/engaging, the trolls will stop and we can get back to talking about the content.
Kilmoore
RR Diner Member

Post by Kilmoore »

eyeboogers wrote:The vast majority of the people that post here loved the season - as you will see reflected in the polls here. The toxic negative environment is mainly created by 3-4 people that post the exact same rant almost daily in the "disappointed" thread and elsewhere. Once we learn to stop commenting on there/engaging, the trolls will stop and we can get back to talking about the content.
This is exactly why actual conversation is impossible. Any opinion outside raving fanfares of the brilliance of every detail is labeled as toxic trolling.
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

Kilmoore wrote: This is exactly why actual conversation is impossible. Any opinion outside raving fanfares of the brilliance of every detail is labeled as toxic trolling.
That is absolutely not what is happening. I am talking about people posting daily about how there are no redeeming qualities to season 3 at all. How it is an act of absolute arrogance on the behalf of senile artists that it even exists.

Constructive conversations about the merits of the actual content is very welcome and why we are here.
Kilmoore
RR Diner Member

Post by Kilmoore »

eyeboogers wrote:Constructive conversations about the merits of the actual content is very welcome and why we are here.
How about constructive conversations about the faults of the actual content?
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Kilmoore wrote:
eyeboogers wrote:Constructive conversations about the merits of the actual content is very welcome and why we are here.
How about constructive conversations about the faults of the actual content?
There have been so many engaging critical discussions about the faults. What Eyeboogers is talking about are just the posters who couldn't see any good in the season and angrily chalked it up to Lynch's senility.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Kilmoore wrote:I was thinking maybe there should have been a thread specifically for the disappointed and satisfied exchanging views, but seems the conversation is already dying down. Looks like TP:TR didn't hold that many people's attention for very long, it might be too late for a thread like that now.
Your behavior thus far (including the final laughable sentence) is definitely a genuinely intended attempt to make that happen.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

eyeboogers wrote:
Xavi wrote:but I do not have the impression that the majority on this forum shows a genuine affection to TPS3, which limits the amount of contributions. This "majority" or dominant group rather enjoys conflicts, battling debate, ridicule each and every detail, instead of engaging a fair discussion based on what's in the "movie" and based on arguments.
The vast majority of the people that post here loved the season - as you will see reflected in the polls here. The toxic negative environment is mainly created by 3-4 people that post the exact same rant almost daily in the "disappointed" thread and elsewhere. Once we learn to stop commenting on there/engaging, the trolls will stop and we can get back to talking about the content.
Funny how you call people who've (mostly) kept their "toxic rantings" within the confines of their own thread "trolls" while those of you who've regularly been dropping in to tell them how misguided they are and to shut up once already were only "commenting and engaging". Who the hell's stopping you to "talk about the content" anyhow? Those 2-3 yokels whining in the Dissapointed thread?

And, yeah, the TP interest across the board is definitely winding down. Maybe not among the die-hards (whose ranks have been reduced by the new season anyway), but elsewhere absolutely. Were it not for a few internet scribblers desperate to get a few clicks in, people would probably forget it even exists/-ed. And if you'd care to look, you'd see the majority of those who've liked it is not so "vast" as you like to claim, and has not been even as it was airing - don't mistake the ovations of Lynch's regulars, new actors over the moon about the fact that they've been in the Genius' workshop and network promoters for a general opinion.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Agent Earle wrote:And if you'd care to look, you'd see the majority of those who've liked it is not so "vast" as you like to claim, and has not been even as it was airing - don't mistake the ovations of Lynch's regulars, new actors over the moon about the fact that they've been in the Genius' workshop and network promoters for a general opinion.
I have no clue what the general opinion is on the Internet among casual viewers, and don’t particularly care. But the show has made pretty much every television critic’s top ten list for the year, generally ranking in the first couple of slots. I know you personally don’t put much stock into critical opinion, and that’s fine, but it’s a bit misleading to imply that only biased/self-interested parties and sycophants are still praising the show when nearly everyone who gets paid for their opinion on entertainment says the show was incredible.
Saturn's child
RR Diner Member

Post by Saturn's child »

Reindeer... Windom Earle's mind is like a diamond; it's cold, & hard, & brilliant. I think he feigned the insanity that sent him away, but at some point he lost the ability to distinguish between what's quality television, & what's not...
You don't know what he's capable of Reindeer... You don't know...
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
Agent Earle wrote:And if you'd care to look, you'd see the majority of those who've liked it is not so "vast" as you like to claim, and has not been even as it was airing - don't mistake the ovations of Lynch's regulars, new actors over the moon about the fact that they've been in the Genius' workshop and network promoters for a general opinion.
I have no clue what the general opinion is on the Internet among casual viewers, and don’t particularly care. But the show has made pretty much every television critic’s top ten list for the year, generally ranking in the first couple of slots. I know you personally don’t put much stock into critical opinion, and that’s fine, but it’s a bit misleading to imply that only biased/self-interested parties and sycophants are still praising the show when nearly everyone who gets paid for their opinion on entertainment says the show was incredible.
The Return was definitely not a show for casual viewers. It was for the hard core fans, the critics and lovers of fine art (arthouse cinema).

Unfortunately, not all hard core viewers liked The Return, and that was always to be expected. It's very hard to return to something that has meant so many different things to so many people without losing a few of them in the process. The only thing that has surprised me is the level of hatred some long times fans developed for The Return. But then again, I shouldn't be surprised since FWWM provoked a similar reaction if I recall correctly.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Kilmoore
RR Diner Member

Post by Kilmoore »

mtwentz wrote:But then again, I shouldn't be surprised since FWWM provoked a similar reaction if I recall correctly.
I am curious about this. I remember feeling gutted and frustrated when I first saw FWWM, and I love it now. I wonder if I'll come around to S3. Can't see it happening now, but time will tell.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Kilmoore wrote:
mtwentz wrote:But then again, I shouldn't be surprised since FWWM provoked a similar reaction if I recall correctly.
I am curious about this. I remember feeling gutted and frustrated when I first saw FWWM, and I love it now. I wonder if I'll come around to S3. Can't see it happening now, but time will tell.
I often find this to be the case with DKL’s less accessible works. TP, MD, BV and LH present enough traditionally entertaining elements that there is more instant gratification on a first viewing, whereas Eraserhead and IE were enormously frustrating — fascinating but frustrating — to me upon first viewing. That fascination kept me coming back, and after repeated viewings, they became possibly my favorite works of his, as well as two of my favorite films ever. It’s not necessarily that I “get” them, in the sense of finding some hidden meaning or code on repeated viewings...in fact, part of the secret for me was to stop searching for meaning and just let the work speak to me, living in the world and sinking into the rhythms. TP:TR was a unique experience in that we got to contemplate each hour for a week, thinking a lot about it while the work was still unfolding in front of is. This is arguably not the best way to experience a DKL work, particularly one with such strange structure. I do find myself liking the work — even some elements I was mixed on while it was airing — more and more with each rewatch. However, if I had outright hated it, I’m not sure that I would devote 18 hours of my life to revisiting it. There’s just too much great art out there and too little time to enjoy it — I don’t know that I would spend that precious time on something that let me down, unless someone made a really compelling argument to convince me that I might change my opinion if viewing the series from a different perspective.
Kilmoore
RR Diner Member

Post by Kilmoore »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:someone made a really compelling argument to convince me that I might change my opinion if viewing the series from a different perspective.
This is why I still come here. I'm looking for someone to point out things about S3 that I find interesting enough. Character interactions, story, coherence, meaning, just anything. So far, still coming up short.