Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Satisfied Support Group

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Satisfied Support Group (SPOILERS)

Post by LateReg »

mtwentz wrote:
Audrey Horne wrote:the Globes have always been in favor of Lynch, and he is on their radar... which sometimes a lot of other shows aren't. (there's just too many shows.)

But Mulholland Dr. and Lunch were nominated. And Peaks, Machlachlan, Laurie and Fenn were nominated (with three big wins).
Ahhh interesting, just looked it up and did not notice that it was foreign press members that are on the Golden Globe committees. So it does appear to be somewhat of a snub of Twin Peaks this year.
Honestly, though, if Game of Thrones was nominated and Leftovers wasn't, this simply isn't a voting body who are going to rep Twin Peaks, anyway. Other than perhaps Top of the Lake, these are all safe, middle of the road choices.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

LateReg wrote:
mtwentz wrote:
Audrey Horne wrote:the Globes have always been in favor of Lynch, and he is on their radar... which sometimes a lot of other shows aren't. (there's just too many shows.)

But Mulholland Dr. and Lunch were nominated. And Peaks, Machlachlan, Laurie and Fenn were nominated (with three big wins).
Ahhh interesting, just looked it up and did not notice that it was foreign press members that are on the Golden Globe committees. So it does appear to be somewhat of a snub of Twin Peaks this year.
Honestly, though, if Game of Thrones was nominated and Leftovers wasn't, this simply isn't a voting body who are going to rep Twin Peaks, anyway. Other than perhaps Top of the Lake, these are all safe, middle of the road choices.
Yeah, at the end of the day, who cares really? As N. Needleman pointed out, Twin Peaks Limited Event Series was a hit with critics and it's certainly satisfied the great majority of the fan base (at least the ones I've come across).
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

krishnanspace wrote:This is so sad.Games of thrones had the weakest season and it got nominated.Same with stranger things,it was just popcorn entertainment with all the stuff copied or referenced from the 80s.Twin peaks on the other hand was some serious art that made people think and question things.Lynch and Frost deserve some recognition.This is no less than Bollywood awards
Agreed on GOT.
Stranger things is fine.
There is one substantial shocker for me. Even admitting that TP wasn’t good, even admitting that it is a movie (it is), even admitting that it’s not anyone’s cup of tea...

But Mindhunter? SEriously they left Mindhunter out? THIS is the single reason why I won’t give any weight to these awards. TP is out there, ok. Too difficult? Too slow? Too weird? Ok. Fine. But Mindhunter? Come on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

There. The only golden globe that matters. :D
mtwentz wrote:
krishnanspace wrote:This is so sad.Games of thrones had the weakest season and it got nominated.Same with stranger things,it was just popcorn entertainment with all the stuff copied or referenced from the 80s.Twin peaks on the other hand was some serious art that made people think and question things.Lynch and Frost deserve some recognition.This is no less than Bollywood awards
Hey glad to meet someone else who thought Stranger Things was overrated. I thought it was a well done production and entertaining to be sure, but it wasn't very memorable to me. It didn't really make me want to see Season 2.
Thirded! It made for fun binging after a surgery last year, but that's it for me...
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
ThumbsUp
RR Diner Member

Post by ThumbsUp »

mtwentz wrote:
Hey glad to meet someone else who thought Stranger Things was overrated. I thought it was a well done production and entertaining to be sure, but it wasn't very memorable to me. It didn't really make me want to see Season 2.
I was shocked Stranger Things was nominated. I loved the first season and think it was blindingly efficient storytelling, but the second season felt so dumbed-down and blockbuster-y. Ditto Game of Thrones. I've grown increasingly weary and cynical of awards shows over the years. Sad but not surprised to see the lack of Twin Peaks love.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I loved Stranger Things 2 - I thought it was deeper and richer than S1. I also love Twin Peaks, which is just orders of magnitude a much more profound show. They can't be compared IMO, beyond ST taking some of the shared Peaks DNA so many shows have since 1990. Apples and oranges.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

I find Stranger Things a very successful attempt to cash in on the superficial hipster-ish fad of throwbacks to the "golden 80's" that caters well to the nostalgia crowd but is otherwise pointless and devoid of practically any originality and meaningful content. The abhorrent current adaptation of Stephen King's IT is cut from the same cloth and the fact that King himself participates in this shameless cash grab by giving out favourable statements about it is beyond my comprehension.
sylvia_north
RR Diner Member

Post by sylvia_north »

Agent Earle wrote:I find Stranger Things a very successful attempt to cash in on the superficial hipster-ish fad of throwbacks to the "golden 80's" that caters well to the nostalgia crowd but is otherwise pointless and devoid of practically any originality and meaningful content. The abhorrent current adaptation of Stephen King's IT is cut from the same cloth and the fact that King himself participates in this shameless cash grab by giving out favourable statements about it is beyond my comprehension.
I concur. Nostalgia crowd, which is oddly the high school aged crowd. Plug kid roles into any genre formula and kids will consume it!

I haven’t seen the Biel or Kidman shows, but Feud: Bette and Joan was delicious in every aspect. The fickle public has moved on from the arthouse sideshow and I don’t see it curtain calling for the Emmy’s.
Too Old to Die Young > TP S03
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Agent Earle wrote:The abhorrent current adaptation of Stephen King's IT
Compared to the godawful miniseries, you mean.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

N. Needleman wrote:
As a matter of fact, I think the 1990 miniseries was in every way superior to the 2017 dreck: not only decidedly more faithful to the fable of the novel (the new one made liberties with the material that were not only stupid, but totally unnecessary - setting the "children half" of the story in the 80's was one such misdemeanor in what can be called the lobotomy of King's work), but also to the soul and spirit of the latter. Moreover, in just scant three hours, it managed to adapt about 80 % of the material, whereas the movie (where only the first part was about 130 minutes long) was too busy jerking around with generic shock scares and planting fluffy Easter eggs ("Oh, looksie, there's the killer car from Christine!" "Wow, how clever!" ...) to bother getting down to the serious storytelling/adapting. In addition, all the old actors were better than the new crowd by some miles. And it managed to be way scarier while working within the confines of the 1990 television - the 2017 version was all about plastic CGI splatter and creature effects that get more laughable by the minute. All of this and I've not even mentioned Tim Curry's iconic villain, worthy of the genre pantheon for all eternity - the new variant will be forgotten by next Christmastime (God, is there even an actor underneath it or just a writhing blob of CGI?).

In short: while the old version might be a bit long in the tooth, its heart is in the right place, whereas the new one is just a phony, heartless attempt to make a buck exploiting the always-reliable King brand and current showbiz trends.
I'm sick and tired of people crapping all over the old version - my bet is about 90 % of those didn't even see it, let alone read the book which it adapts. Oh, right, "the friggin' spider was horrible" ...
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Agent Earle wrote:
N. Needleman wrote:
As a matter of fact, I think the 1990 miniseries was in every way superior to the 2017 dreck
And we're done.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

N. Needleman wrote:
Agent Earle wrote:
N. Needleman wrote:
As a matter of fact, I think the 1990 miniseries was in every way superior to the 2017 dreck
And we're done.
Wow. With an opening this strong, I wonder how powerful would the real arguments be.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

What is the standard interpretation nowadays of why Sarah freaks out in the convenience store about the turkey jerky?

Just yesterday it popped into my head that maybe Sarah/Judy was confused about which reality/timeline she was in- that's why she wanted to specifically know that the clerk had seen the new jerkys being brought in. Not sure if I read that somewhere or that was an original thought :-).
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Agent Earle wrote:
N. Needleman wrote:
Agent Earle wrote:
And we're done.
Wow. With an opening this strong, I wonder how powerful would the real arguments be.
It's real bad.

That's the argument.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

N. Needleman wrote:
Agent Earle wrote:
N. Needleman wrote:
And we're done.
It's real bad.

That's the argument.
And the movie from 2017 is way worse. That's an even better argument.