Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Satisfied Support Group

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mr. Jackpots
RR Diner Member

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Satisfied Support Group (SPOILERS)

Post by Mr. Jackpots »

Novalis wrote:'Satisfied' isn't really the word I'd use for my response. 'Satisfied' suggests it fed my appetite, which it didn't -- it profoundly didn't.

I'd say I was impressed.
I loved it. And am hungry for more.
tmrbhtt

Post by tmrbhtt »

I'm in. Loved every bit of Twin Peaks Return

Now that the return is over the "disappointed" thread can die a well deserved death, everyone can have an opinion but what I found over there was drivel spilling out from people that felt entitled to a version of S3 they felt they deserved.. and since episode 18 rather then submit and jump over to the other side the feelings on the disappointed thread are becoming more and more disparate... nit picking rather then unpacking, it begs the questions, what did you want? you cant seriously want cooper to return to TP, and battle it out with BOB/Dopplecoop - save the day - stop of and save Audrey drive to the RR in time for Big Eds wedding with Norma and a final coffee and pie, while Bobby and James hug and remember the good times with Laura... this cant be the closer that the profoundly disappointed wanted but if not the magic that we got with part 17 and 18 then the only alternative is described above and if that is the kind of complete closer you wanted then seriously what were you doing here in the first place....

anyway back to the joy of s3, the ending has had the same effect on my that s2 cliff-hanger did when I saw bobs reflection at age 12... its going to be a few days till I return to the episode... I need to move my mind into another space as part 18 is some of the darkest bleakest nightmare I have seen on TV.
Hockey Mask
RR Diner Member

Post by Hockey Mask »

I think I would have been disappointed by anything I could have imagined ending the series with. The fact that I got blindsided by Ep 17 & 18 is what makes it so great.

By the way, one of my favorite moments was after her final scream and the screen went black for what seemed like forever before the credits popped up. I was leaning so far out of my chair I almost fell out.
snusmumrik

Post by snusmumrik »

From the moment I knew Lynch was to be in full command of the new Twin Peaks, I knew what to expect: 1) we're going to get a lot more Lodge/"supernatural"-related stuff than what was present in the original series; 2) all the soap opera will be gone, and possibly replaced with slice-of-life weirdness; 3) other than that, I better exercise no guesses at all, since they're probably gonna get turned upside down.

And this was exactly what I got.

Incidentally, what I expected coincided with what I wanted, so I feel more than satisfied with the new material (and slightly amused by the "hater" crowd).
Julee Cruise wrote: Fkin keyboard, I Yelled my Head off in Anger!
tmrbhtt

Post by tmrbhtt »

snusmumrik wrote:
"Incidentally, what I expected coincided with what I wanted, so I feel more than satisfied with the new material (and slightly amused by the "hater" crowd).
"

The hater crowed is something I don't get... some of the stuff I have read is really hate for hate sake the main bone of contention being it did not fit into the mould that they wanted it to be in...

Life's to short... you have to ask yourself, what would Cooper do? and from the man that said "Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it. Don't wait for it. Just let it happen" wouldn't be on a forum hating on how the Coffee isn't as great as it once was... neither would Dopplecoop :D
snusmumrik

Post by snusmumrik »

tmrbhtt wrote:
The hater crowed is something I don't get... some of the stuff I have read is really hate for hate sake the main bone of contention being it did not fit into the mould that they wanted it to be in...

Life's to short... you have to ask yourself, what would Cooper do? and from the man that said "Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it. Don't wait for it. Just let it happen" wouldn't be on a forum hating on how the Coffee isn't as great as it once was... neither would Dopplecoop :D
Amen to that :wink:

I have intentionally put "hater" in quotation marks, since there are a lot of different reasons people don't like The Return: some are legitimate, and it would be unfair to them to label them like that; but there are a lot of people who just hate on it because it offends their sensibilities or/and doesn't provide them with what they expected of it.
Julee Cruise wrote: Fkin keyboard, I Yelled my Head off in Anger!
ozziejohn
Roadhouse Member

Post by ozziejohn »

Having given it a few days since the finale, I feel that I really ought to state my allegiance to the profoundly satisfied!
This series was confounding, creepy, funny....everything I wanted really.
I've been stunned by the the Profoundly Disappointed thread - so hard to see what the dislike is all about. Posters over there have been falling over themselves to throw the most outlandish insults at the series and it's creators.
I'm convinced that TPTR breaks the fourth wall throughout and makes the viewer an integral part of the series rather than simply a passive recipient - the hanging plot lines, the unseen events, the long quiet spaces filled only with the interpretations and thoughts buzzing around your own head; these are not sloppiness or disdain for the audience - they are all intentional devices to bring you into the experience, to make you a co-creator... It's an experimental approach that obviously hasn't worked for some people.
I have loved the unresolved questions - what happened to Becky and Steven, who really IS Red, why was the janitor-guy so cagey with the police before Ruth Davenport's body was found, who was the 1-1-9 girl....not having answers gives you space to think, to have possibilities buzzing endlessly in your mind...
Lynch's exhortation to #keepthemysteryalive didn't just refer to the idea of avoiding spoilers during the show's airing, but is a core principle of the show itself.
oldforce
Roadhouse Member

Post by oldforce »

The white horse is death, preceding fury, please put it back in its stable David!! Top ten films of all time!
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

ozziejohn wrote: I've been stunned by the the Profoundly Disappointed thread - so hard to see what the dislike is all about.
It's not, really. All you have to do is read.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

ozziejohn wrote: I'm convinced that TPTR breaks the fourth wall throughout and makes the viewer an integral part of the series rather than simply a passive recipient - the hanging plot lines, the unseen events, the long quiet spaces filled only with the interpretations and thoughts buzzing around your own head; these are not sloppiness or disdain for the audience - they are all intentional devices to bring you into the experience, to make you a co-creator... It's an experimental approach that obviously hasn't worked for some people.
I have loved the unresolved questions - what happened to Becky and Steven, who really IS Red, why was the janitor-guy so cagey with the police before Ruth Davenport's body was found, who was the 1-1-9 girl....not having answers gives you space to think, to have possibilities buzzing endlessly in your mind...
Lynch's exhortation to #keepthemysteryalive didn't just refer to the idea of avoiding spoilers during the show's airing, but is a core principle of the show itself.
Why bother with the contents, the characters, the storyarcs, with the script at all??? With this approach, you can literally put a he- and a she-male in front of the camera, with possibly a bucket of puke, a decrepit lavatory, a disillusioned rat and a guy with the golden fiddles and let your fervent audience take care of the rest in their own heads. Talk about avant-garde...
ozziejohn
Roadhouse Member

Post by ozziejohn »

Well...I've read a hell of a lot of pages of that thread and frankly I mainly see a bubble of initially reasonable concerns snowballing into a weird blind rage - a Lynch mob (pun intended) unconcerned with taking the series on its own terms, but compelled by a masochistic impulse to keep returning and picking at the scab.
Your second comment is typical of the disingenuous hyperbole that I've seen in that thread.
referendum
RR Diner Member

Post by referendum »

Why bother with the contents, the characters, the storyarcs, with the script at all??? With this approach, you can literally put a he- and a she-male in front of the camera, with possibly a bucket of puke, a decrepit lavatory, a disillusioned rat and a guy with the golden fiddles and let your fervent audience take care of the rest in their own heads. Talk about avant-garde...
that wasn't what happened though. I am not a fervent audience. ( rarely anyway). It is the series itself that dragged me in ( to the point where it brought me here). You think it is tawdry and nonsense and insulting and all the rest of it. All things considered i think it is way better than anything i could possibly have expected.
''let's not overthink this opportunity''
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

ozziejohn wrote:Well...I've read a hell of a lot of pages of that thread and frankly I mainly see a bubble of initially reasonable concerns snowballing into a weird blind rage - a Lynch mob (pun intended) unconcerned with taking the series on its own terms, but compelled by a masochistic impulse to keep returning and picking at the scab.
Your second comment is typical of the disingenuous hyperbole that I've seen in that thread.
Those "initially reasonable concerns" were justified by what happened (or didn't) during the later course of the series by about tenfold.
My second comment is merely a logical derivation of your comment. Taken to the extreme, granted, but still nothing but a logical derivation.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

referendum wrote:
that wasn't what happened though. I am not a fervent audience. ( rarely anyway). It is the series itself that dragged me in ( to the point where it brought me here). You think it is tawdry and nonsense and insulting and all the rest of it. All things considered i think it is way better than anything i could possibly have expected.
Fair enough, to each his own. I nodded through most of it.
ozziejohn
Roadhouse Member

Post by ozziejohn »

Agent Earle wrote:
Those "initially reasonable concerns" were justified by what happened (or didn't) during the later course of the series by about tenfold.
My second comment is merely a logical derivation of your comment. Taken to the extreme, granted, but still nothing but a logical derivation.
If you weren't prepared to adapt and attempt to come at the series on it's own terms, then, yes, I can see that you would be disappointed. It must be hard to have a television program upset you so much that you feel the need to mock people that enjoyed it, but that's OK. It's what the internet is for.

Your "logical derivation" is obviously anything but - so I'll let that lie.