Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Satisfied Support Group

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Hockey Mask
RR Diner Member

Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Satisfied Support Group

Post by Hockey Mask »

I enjoyed the series throughout but LOVED the last two parts. So much satisfaction in getting more questions and less answers.

I will always have a place in my heart for S1-S2 but S3 is right up there with it!
BigEd
RR Diner Member

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Satisfied Support Group (SPOILERS)

Post by BigEd »

Absolutely. If somebody isn't happy with this material, then they can easily go and watch one of the many other outstanding television shows currently in production such as:
umhh. A little help here?? :lol:
counterpaul
RR Diner Member

Post by counterpaul »

Count me in! I never imagined the ending we got, but now that we have it, I can't imagine a more perfect one.
Cipher
RR Diner Member

Post by Cipher »

The ending really did it for me and even brought some of my least liked elements earlier in the season into line, showing their importance by way of its final response. (In particular the demystification of its supernatural elements, before they were revealed to be, as always, as subterfuge for the core trauma they reverberated from at the end; they're also thoroughly remystified by Cooper and Laura's bizarre journey beyond life and death. Sarah stabs a picture in the present and her daughter vanishes from an ill-guided rescue attempt in the past; that's all we've ever needed to know.) Mr. C's pat villainy and other more cartoonish elements wound up being intentionally delivered as such -- he's as hapless against these larger forces as Coop is (and in the end, Jeffries was right; he is Cooper).

With the return of Laura to the fore and the second takedown of the detective who can never be wiser than the victim he seeks to understand, some of my qualms with gender portrayal subsided as well, as certain scenes and patterns now might play as reservations from its central conflict, though that's still, I think, less deftly handled than it might have been.

At any rate, the ending though -- the ending is thoroughly good, and made great use of all 17 hours before (I know many will debate this, of course). The ride was shaky at times, but if that's where we were going, okay.
Coffee
Roadhouse Member

Post by Coffee »

Count me in. I understand that this isn't going to be for everyone but I enjoyed the series immensely, and the last two parts stand alongside the best of Twin Peaks IMO.
mlsstwrt
RR Diner Member

Post by mlsstwrt »

TPTR sucked. You're all wrong to love it and really only love it because you're die-hard Lynch/TP fan boys. Your reasons for liking it aren't genuine.

Sorry, I'm not serious with the above, but after all the posts to the above (but reverse) effect in the disappointed thread, I had to get this in. :lol:

Glad you all enjoyed it.
Hockey Mask
RR Diner Member

Post by Hockey Mask »

mlsstwrt wrote:TPTR sucked. You're all wrong to love it and really only love it because you're die-hard Lynch/TP fan boys. Your reasons for liking it aren't genuine.

Sorry, I'm not serious with the above, but after all the posts to the above (but reverse) effect in the disappointed thread, I had to get this in. :lol:

Glad you all enjoyed it.
:D
Ashok
Great Northern Member

Post by Ashok »

Count me in. I still have no clue what to make of Part 18, but I can't stop thinking about it...
"Whatever happened, happened." -Daniel Faraday
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

I'll add my name to this group.

I won't lie- I reacted viscerally to Part 18 in a not so positive way on first watch (even though I suspected Lynch was going to go full IE/MD/LH for the finale so I should have been expecting it).

But now I've made my peace with Part 18 and fully embrace it and Twin Peaks: The Return as a whole. I think Lynch and Frost delivered in giving us another show for the ages, plenty of food for thought to discuss and debate for years to come :-).
Last edited by mtwentz on Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
hopesfall
RR Diner Member

Post by hopesfall »

I love it more when I think of it as FWWM 2, rather than TP 3 if that makes sense. I thought the parts with Laura in the woods were some of the most haunting, beautiful and emotional television I have ever seen. I've enjoyed the ride for sure, but I've also enjoyed talking to friends who just can't get behind it at all. We all love the original seasons, as I'm sure everybody reading this does, but it's interesting hearing the opinions of people who aren't fans of the new one.

I for one think it's incredible. I can't wait to watch it all again. Nor can I wait for the new book. Not necessarily to tie up any ends, I'm happy with how it all is, but I'm certainly intrigued by what those pages hold.
kerplooey
Roadhouse Member

Post by kerplooey »

I know this may sound like fanboy self-brainwashing but it goes like this:

I think the parts of The Return that made me uncomfortable, frustrated, disagreeing strongly with the lack of screentime devoted to those I was hoping to see adressed, and the huge amount devoted to things I was much less interested in... those parts may be what actually makes me most satisfied with the series.

Let me explain: over 25 years ago, no one ever started watching Twin Peaks saying: "I hope this new series I'm watching is going to finally feature a strange place with red curtains"; "I hope this "who killed laura Palmer" mystery that's on the cover of every TV magazine is going to have an unsettling ambiguous metaphysical incestuous resolution".
When the second season first opened, I'm not sure many viewers thought: "As I've been eagerly waiting for all those cliffangers from the 1st season finale to get resolved, I hope we're going to spend the first 20 minutes of this episode watching the hero lying down on the floor".
And while the viewers who were treated with those WTF moments were at first not yet Twin Peaks fans, and even then, not 25-years'-worth-of-reruns Twin Peaks fans, the show was still doing then what The Return did to us: taking them into uncharted territory. A lot of this new season has not shown us us what we wanted to see. But how much can you be surprised by seeing what you want to see?

There's plenty of lavishly produced TV series available now, whose production values sometimes equals, or tops the best of cinema films. But Tv series are comfortable. It's about going BACK to a familiar world. Having characters whose behaviour you expect because of how well defined they are, and eventually plot elements, dialogues you expect.
This format ends up closing us on new things. Things that challenges us. Things that are never even supposed to be shown on television.

And while the original Twin Peaks was new, idiosyncratic, challenging, surprising, even the weirdest elements have now had 25 years to become familiar, over-analysed. Caricatured. Meme'd. Even Showtime played this up: I have seriously seen enough Twin Peaks Gifs, enough black lodge fanart, no matter how well-crafted, to last me several lifetimes without ever wanting to see one again. So we all came in with expectations, as we should, about a show that was now part as our DNA. And just like the first Twin Peaks used the familiar soap opera format to twist it, turn it into something new, The Return showed up with just as much mutated DNA.

Yes, I'm satisfied with the new series because some of my hopes and expectations were disappointed. Betrayed. What I watched was new, challenging, frustrating, confusing. But what I saw also made me feel things I never ever felt before. Things I never felt watching anything else. If that wasn't worth the journey, I don't know what was.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

mtwentz wrote: I think Lynch and Frost delivered in giving us another show for the ages, plenty of food for thought to discuss and debate for years to come :-).
Let me be the one to start: HOW'S ANNIE?????
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Without a doubt: A-OK. (Me, not Annie, she's dead)
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Unless it's ever confirmed otherwise in a continuation in one form or another, I have to assume DoppelCoop killed Annie at some point.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
pinballmars
Roadhouse Member

Post by pinballmars »

When a new Twin Peaks project was announced about three years ago, I loved it not because I wanted a trip back to the 90s and to hang out with those old characters, but because the world of Twin Peaks seemed like a perfect platform for David Lynch to REALLY go to the fucking moon and surprise and enrage and baffle. That's part of the character of Twin Peaks, I say. It's not a mystery that can be solved in a few minutes. It might not be a mystery that can be solved ever. It's a dense thicket of question upon question upon question upon question. THAT'S the soul of Twin Peaks, to me.

And I'd say that I got that. More than I even expected.

This series was beautiful stuff and I'm looking forward to re-watching it many more times.