Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Satisfied Support Group

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

writersblock
RR Diner Member

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Satisfied Support Group (SPOILERS)

Post by writersblock »

Loved it. Rewatched it. Loved it more.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

BigEd wrote:Absolutely. If somebody isn't happy with this material, then they can easily go and watch one of the many other outstanding television shows currently in production such as:
umhh. A little help here?? :lol:
Out of curiosity, have you given Mr. Robot, Atlanta, Better Call Saul, Louie, Fargo or the recently-ended The Leftovers a shot? These may not all be your cup of tea, and I could name many others of similar acclaim that also may or may not be your thing. But it seems sort of silly to say there's nothing worthwhile on TV when the vast metric of critical and public opinion indicates the exact opposite, and I think these shows are kindred spirits to TP in their own ways (DKL even guest starred on one). Personally -- while most of my limited TV-watching time is consumed with a TP rewatch at the moment -- it breaks my heart how much terrific stuff there is out there that I don't have time to watch.
Troubbble
RR Diner Member

Post by Troubbble »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
BigEd wrote:Absolutely. If somebody isn't happy with this material, then they can easily go and watch one of the many other outstanding television shows currently in production such as:
Out of curiosity, have you given Mr. Robot, Atlanta, Better Call Saul, Louie, Fargo or the recently-ended The Leftovers a shot? These may not all be your cup of tea, and I could name many others of similar acclaim that also may or may not be your thing. But it seems sort of silly to say there's nothing worthwhile on TV when the vast metric of critical and public opinion indicates the exact opposite, and I think these shows are kindred spirits to TP in their own ways (DKL even guest starred on one).
I've only seen the first season of Fargo, but based on that, I think it's less a kindred spirit and more like straight-up stolen goods. Not super impressed with Hawley, and his latter-day Tarantino approach to mashing up his influences. But that's another conversation...
BigEd
RR Diner Member

Post by BigEd »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
Out of curiosity, have you given Mr. Robot, Atlanta, Better Call Saul, Louie, Fargo or the recently-ended The Leftovers a shot? These may not all be your cup of tea, and I could name many others of similar acclaim that also may or may not be your thing. But it seems sort of silly to say there's nothing worthwhile on TV when the vast metric of critical and public opinion indicates the exact opposite, and I think these shows are kindred spirits to TP in their own ways (DKL even guest starred on one). Personally -- while most of my limited TV-watching time is consumed with a TP rewatch at the moment -- it breaks my heart how much terrific stuff there is out there that I don't have time to watch.
Fargo and Leftovers - yes. I'll check out the others. For those with plenty of time to watch TV, there will never be enough good material, so it baffles me that some are adamant that they would not welcome another season of TP.
homieonice
Roadhouse Member

Post by homieonice »

Best Season of a TV Show I've yet seen.
There they are Albert... Faces of stone!
writersblock
RR Diner Member

Post by writersblock »

Loved it so much first time - stands up to a rewatch and is somehow even better!!
Novalis
RR Diner Member

Post by Novalis »

S3 improves considerably on rewatch, especially if a few parts are watched together sequentially. Very rewarding -- would rather watch this than anything else currently available, and there's no hyperbole in that.
As a matter of fact, 'Chalfont' was the name of the people that rented this space before. Two Chalfonts. Weird, huh?
mtl
RR Diner Member

Post by mtl »

what year is this?!

it was never '89, baby :lol:

best tv since a fucking while
Johnsusername
Roadhouse Member

Post by Johnsusername »

Well, this is the group for me :) Bit late to the party, but very satisfied with The Return. I haven't looked in the Profoundly Disappointed thread. It's sad that people who were so looking forward to it have ended up like that. But hey. Fix your hearts or die!

I'm as much a fan of Lynch as I am TP. I love Lost Highway, Mulholland Drive, Blue Velvet, The Straight Story etc. (Never did like Inland Empire though - too long, too digital haha). So for me The Return was the best of both worlds - kind of like a Lynch/Twin Peaks Mash Up.

Stray observations:

- I delayed watching the first two episodes (I was on holiday shortly after) but what delayed gratification it was! I'll never forget sitting down to watch TWO BRAND NEW EPISODES OF TWIN PEAKS. Even if i did have laryngitis at the time haha. For me the first four episodes were exceptional.

- The glass box. What? Who? Why? Who cares - it was brilliant! I love the fact it remains a mystery even after 18 hours! Not every mystery needs to be solved, not every question needs to be answered. If you think like that then buddy, you're watching the wrong show.

- The Tower and the Purple Sea. I'm sure these have correct names, but I sat through this (episode 3?) as giddy as anything. Twin Peaks meets the Brothers Grimm.

- Dougie/Vegas. I loved that TP had stretched into Vegas. "Helloooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!" I found the whole Dougie storyline funny and, by the end, quite touching. Okay i'll admit a few times I thought Lynch was taking the mick, but that just made it funnier to me. How great were all the actors around Dougie, too.

- Freddie. My only real disappointment. A new character i had no emotional connection with was the person to defeat Bob? Nope, i still don't get it. Would have been great if it was Andy or, well, anyone i knew!

- Exposition. I guess another disappointment. Some of the Blue Rose chatter was a bit "Hey, we'll just tell you all this information that we never thought to mention earlier".

- Episode 8. I'd already heard the rumours but when i sat down to watch i couldn't believe it. Amazing stuff. A Twin Peaks origin story - who on earth could be profoundly disappointed with that?!?

- Episodes 17/18. Didn't see that coming. Going back to FWWM. Saving Laura and actually changing the the whole idea of Twin Peaks. I'll bet anything this is one of the first ideas Lynch/Frost came up with - "wouldn't it be great if there was no Laura Palmer murder?".

- Final scene. Was it just me who felt suffocated by the last half hour? Classic Lynch. Everything was off centre and unbalanced. That sense of dread and impending doom. The final scene at the Palmer house - wow, didn't see any of this coming. WHO WAS THE MAN BEHIND THE DOOR?? Haha. I felt so uneasy watching it. Probably the most down i've felt watching TV - in a good way. The literal opposite of a happy ending. The way it should be, IMO.

Would I like another season? Hell yes! But at the same time I'm content with what we've got. I've lived through the whole of Twin Peaks. Feel very priviliged.

Anyway. COFFEE TIME!
Novalis
RR Diner Member

Post by Novalis »

Johnsusername wrote:
WHO WAS THE MAN BEHIND THE DOOR??
I'm pretty certain it was Tim Reber judging from what he says in this interview.

As a matter of fact, 'Chalfont' was the name of the people that rented this space before. Two Chalfonts. Weird, huh?
Poiuyt
Roadhouse Member

Post by Poiuyt »

Johnsusername wrote:I'm as much a fan of Lynch as I am TP.
you pretty much have to be now :lol:
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

Novalis wrote:
Johnsusername wrote:
WHO WAS THE MAN BEHIND THE DOOR??
I'm pretty certain it was Tim Reber judging from what he says in this interview.

yep. watched that interview yesterday, really seems like nice people and the impression i get is that they were big fans of the show before moving into the house, right? pretty cool being huge TP fans, deciding to buy the Palmer house and a couple of months later David Lynch knocks on the door asking you to be a part of The Return.. wow!

in episode 12 when we see Hawk at Sarah's doorstep and there's a sudden crash somewhere inside the house wouldn't it be neat if it was actually the Reber's we heard (on instructions from Lynch) as it would imply it was somehow The Tremonds we heard.
Xavi
RR Diner Member

Post by Xavi »

claaa7 wrote:

in episode 12 when we see Hawk at Sarah's doorstep and there's a sudden crash somewhere inside the house wouldn't it be neat if it was actually the Reber's we heard (on instructions from Lynch) as it would imply it was somehow The Tremonds we heard.
Almost as if a sliver of reality already permeated through the Palmer's house, maybe?
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

Xavi wrote:
claaa7 wrote:

Almost as if a sliver of reality already permeated through the Palmer's house, maybe?
yes something like that is what i'm thinking.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Ultimately, what I really loved about The Return is that it got me back into full philosophical mode, wondering what the next phase of human existence looks like and what is the ultimate nature of 'reality'? Is the real world really 'real' or are we living inside a dream?

Thus, ss far as consciousness-expansion, I would rank The Return above the original series and even Fire Walk With Me. This really was a pleasurable, head twisting mind fuck, much like '2001', 'Waking Life' and a few others films that have had the same effect on me.

At the same time it was a mind fuck, it also had a fairly linear storyline and social commentary on modern America to boot. The reason I think some fans of the old series didn't quite take to The Return is that it completely stripped away the soap opera elements of the original show. As time passes, I suspect many will stop focusing on the soap opera that isn't there, and start appreciating the work of surrealistic art that IS there.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly