Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Satisfied Support Group

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Satisfied Support Group (SPOILERS)

Post by IcedOver »

claaa7 wrote: yep. watched that interview yesterday, really seems like nice people and the impression i get is that they were big fans of the show before moving into the house, right? pretty cool being huge TP fans, deciding to buy the Palmer house and a couple of months later David Lynch knocks on the door asking you to be a part of The Return.. wow!
Oh damn, I guess I never got around to looking up Mary Reber. I assumed she was an actress, as she looks like someone who has been in movies before. The fact that she's just the owner of the house adds a level to that scene I wasn't aware of.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
Xavi
RR Diner Member

Post by Xavi »

Did anything surprise you or excite you about how actively engaged viewers were?

Lynch: "No. That was really, really good. I'll tell you, it was a total blessing how it went in the world. Sometimes it doesn't go that way. And this was really, really great."
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/fien- ... ew-1053029
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Xavi wrote:
Did anything surprise you or excite you about how actively engaged viewers were?

Lynch: "No. That was really, really good. I'll tell you, it was a total blessing how it went in the world. Sometimes it doesn't go that way. And this was really, really great."
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/fien- ... ew-1053029
And do you view the ending as being a cliff hanger or do you view it as a broader, philosophical question that maybe doesn't require answering?

"I don't really say things like that. But you know, I always say that there should be some room to dream."

Amen Mr. Lynch. After the ending initially felt like a punch in the gut, I have really grown to love it in its delicious ambiguity.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

And what better way to spur daydreaming than an open downer ending, huh!
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

laughingpinecone wrote:And what better way to spur daydreaming than an open downer ending, huh!
It's open to interpretation, but I don't think it was really a downer, just somber and reflective ending. Far from the singing robins of Blue Velvet's ending, to be sure, but Coop and Laura were still alive at the end (perhaps ready to face their personal demons and come to terms with what life had taught them).
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

mtwentz wrote:
laughingpinecone wrote:And what better way to spur daydreaming than an open downer ending, huh!
It's open to interpretation, but I don't think it was really a downer, just somber and reflective ending. Far from the singing robins of Blue Velvet's ending, to be sure, but Coop and Laura were still alive at the end (perhaps ready to face their personal demons and come to terms with what life had taught them).
There’s a potentially interesting thread/poll to be had in ranking the endings of DKL’s major works from “happiest” to “unhappiest.” I mean, we’re talking about a guy whose first film ended with infanticide as a gateway to nirvana. There’s a lot of ambiguity/subjectiveness, and most of his “happy” endings involve a sacrifice. Even BV — one of his only traditionally happy endings (and possibly my least favorite due to its unearned nature) has been characterized by some as deliberately artificial/cynical, with its blatantly fake “robin” effect (not saying I agree that this was DKL’s intent, but the interpretation is valid and arguably more consistent with the rest of the film).

Off the top of my head, I think the ending of this season would rank as one of DKL’s less redemptive/happy endings, with only MD and maybe LH (perhaps The Grandmother) topping it. I would rank it as “less dark but more of a downer” than the TP S1 and S2 endings, which seems contradictory — but leave it to L/F! While S1 and S2 ended with many characters, particularly Coop, in dire circumstances, the execution of (relatively conventional) cliffhanger scenarios was positively gleeful. Whereas the ending of this season feels like something not quite like anything else in his, or anyone’s work — open-ended and yet conclusive, pregnant with both redemption and damnation as you turn it around in the light, but never letting you know which one wins out. It’s interesting that Mark has compared it to the ending of The Sopranos. I see what he means, in terms of the fact that it’s an anti-cliffhanger — a frozen monent that defies resolution.
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profounidly Satisfied Support Group (SPOILERS)

Post by laughingpinecone »

mtwentz wrote:
I think our interpretations are roughly the same? It's chilling to see them both so lost, and, personally, any ending I've bawled over for more than one hour total counts as a downer :lol: but! It's open! Like you say. I think the fundamental difference from a regular downer ending is that their story goes on. There's so much ahead of them. And it's open but not too open, there's just a lil bit of railroading, and that's what does the trick for me. I have all the intentions of imagining plenty of steps of their supernatural road trip toward facing their personal demons (and getting Laura back to her angels)! Evocative and engaging.
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
Saturn's child
RR Diner Member

Post by Saturn's child »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:Even BV — one of his only traditionally happy endings (and possibly my least favorite due to its unearned nature) has been characterized by some as deliberately artificial/cynical, with its blatantly fake “robin” effect (not saying I agree that this was DKL’s intent, but the interpretation is valid and arguably more consistent with the rest of the film).
The way Dennis Hopper talked about Lynch's love of the artificial robin in the 'Mysteries of Love' doco makes me think there's something to this. Even if it's the idea that we need to construct our own imagined happiness in order to get by. But yeah, I guess if this is the case, the happy ending of BV doesn't necessarily feel unearned to me since it's somewhat hollow (or at least close to crumbling) anyway.
Definitely agree that MD & LH end with much direr circumstances for the protagonist! Whenever I think of Cooper & Laura's fate now I just kind of hear Dark Space Low playing in my head. Can't say that's a bad thing.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Mr. Reindeer wrote: Off the top of my head, I think the ending of this season would rank as one of DKL’s less redemptive/happy endings, with only MD and maybe LH (perhaps The Grandmother) topping it. I would rank it as “less dark but more of a downer” than the TP S1 and S2 endings, which seems contradictory — but leave it to L/F!
That's pretty close to my take. I see The Return as sandwiched in between LH and MD on one side, and BV and WAH on the other. Since it's so ambiguous as to what the ending means, I can't really say it's depressing (Judy may very well have been defeated or contained as Laura screams). On the other hand, even if Judy has been stopped, you get the feeling that the lives of Cooper and Laura have been forever altered to the point where you wonder they will ever be able to find personal happiness for themselves. Cooper has wasted nearly his entire youth in the Lodge, and Laura's best years have also been lost.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Xavi
RR Diner Member

Post by Xavi »

Almost all activity and attention is sucked up by this very negative "force" called TPDSG.

C'mon people, Twin Peaks Season 3 is a journey, an adventure, a trip, with unknown paths, tracks, threads, symmetries, echoes, repetitions, congruences, hints, indications, revelations, questions, mysteries, etc, etc. We are like that spider and we must explore this L/F-web to increase our understanding, mustn't we?

Here is a start. Dale Cooper died at 2:53.

http://twinpeaksseasonthree.blogspot.com
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Xavi wrote:
C'mon people, Twin Peaks Season 3 is a journey, an adventure, a trip, with unknown paths, tracks, threads, symmetries, echoes, repetitions, congruences, hints, indications, revelations, questions, mysteries, etc, etc. We are like that spider and we must explore this L/F-web to increase our understanding, mustn't we?
No offense, but you could say that about any number of shitty movies/TV shows and use it as an excuse for its/their shittiness. :) Under that banner, practically anything goes.
Xavi
RR Diner Member

Post by Xavi »

You know, people -- we're all detectives. We all have intuition. We're all sensing more than what meets the eye, deciphering things, figuring things out. So beautiful for the human being. It's part of it, it's part of us. Some films can be great, they're entertaining, you love 'em, but that's it. You're on to the next thing. And others, you can roll 'em around, you can think about them, live with them. And if you like that world that you get to go into, that's a beautiful thing. You can visit that world again, and go in and, in a way, get lost, like Chet Baker -- "Let's Get Lost." You get lost in a dream, and there's indications of things, that you can put it all together. It's all there. ~ David Lynch
I'm the Muffin
Roadhouse Member

Post by I'm the Muffin »

Xavi wrote:Almost all activity and attention is sucked up by this very negative "force" called TPDSG
As long as that thread exists, this long-standing forum is dead. But at this point, one can only assume that the forum admin is one of these 'profoundly disappointed', and wants it there.
chalfont
Roadhouse Member

Post by chalfont »

Agent Earle wrote:
Xavi wrote:
No offense, but you could say that about any number of shitty movies/TV shows and use it as an excuse for its/their shittiness. :) Under that banner, practically anything goes.
As I understand, people that enjoyed season 3 are practically banned from trying to spread any positivity in that thread, so......... :?:
I miss the days when this forum was exciting to read, yeah, season 3 in general wasn't what I was expecting/hoping, but there was still a lot of fascinating stuff most fans should find interesting.
Last edited by chalfont on Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kilmoore
RR Diner Member

Post by Kilmoore »

Xavi wrote: Here is a start. Dale Cooper died at 2:53.
What evidence are you basing that on? I mean, what did we see on screen that supports this?
Last edited by Kilmoore on Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.