Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Satisfied Support Group (SPOILERS)

Moderators: Annie, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne, Brad D

Kilmoore
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:20 pm

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Satisfied Support Group (SPOILERS)

Postby Kilmoore » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:17 pm

chalfont wrote:As I understand, people that enjoyed season 3 are practically banned fromtrying to spreading any positivity in that thread, so......... :?:

You know what is a good place for that? Every single other TP related conversation on the internet.
chalfont
Posts: 84
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:57 am
Location: Norway

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Satisfied Support Group (SPOILERS)

Postby chalfont » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:33 pm

Kilmoore wrote:
chalfont wrote:As I understand, people that enjoyed season 3 are practically banned fromtrying to spreading any positivity in that thread, so......... :?:

You know what is a good place for that? Every single other TP related conversation on the internet.

My point is that maybe some of us would like to try and discuss parts of season 3 here (and I am by no means a wholehearted defender of the entire season) WITHOUT immideatly getting slammed down with "It is all utter shit!" by anyone who has profound wish to send David Lynch to Gulag.
Kilmoore
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:20 pm

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Satisfied Support Group (SPOILERS)

Postby Kilmoore » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:40 pm

chalfont wrote:My point is that maybe some of us would like to try and discuss parts of season 3 here (and I am by no means a wholehearted defender of the entire season) WITHOUT immideatly getting slammed down with "It is all utter shit!" by anyone who has profound wish to send David Lynch to Gulag.

And I would like to discuss season 3 without being told I just don't understand art or that it's impossible to dislike S3 and still like some of Lynch's work. But what are the odds of that happening?
User avatar
N. Needleman
Posts: 1681
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:39 pm

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Satisfied Support Group (SPOILERS)

Postby N. Needleman » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:46 pm

chalfont wrote:
Kilmoore wrote:
chalfont wrote:As I understand, people that enjoyed season 3 are practically banned fromtrying to spreading any positivity in that thread, so......... :?:

You know what is a good place for that? Every single other TP related conversation on the internet.

My point is that maybe some of us would like to try and discuss parts of season 3 here (and I am by no means a wholehearted defender of the entire season) WITHOUT immideatly getting slammed down with "It is all utter shit!" by anyone who has profound wish to send David Lynch to Gulag.


I abandoned it about 90 pages back, after we began to host the 4th or 5th Grant Morrison cosplayer attempting to channel his inner outsider journalist to explain why anyone who liked Season 3 is actually a fascist in denial. That's not intelligent critique or discussion, it's just rage.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
User avatar
N. Needleman
Posts: 1681
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:39 pm

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Satisfied Support Group (SPOILERS)

Postby N. Needleman » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:48 pm

I'm the Muffin wrote:
Xavi wrote:Almost all activity and attention is sucked up by this very negative "force" called TPDSG


As long as that thread exists, this long-standing forum is dead. But at this point, one can only assume that the forum admin is one of these 'profoundly disappointed', and wants it there.


LOL. If you think this forum is deader than it was five or ten years ago I don't know what to tell you. Maybe we're all just catching our breath. I know I am.

The folks who are unhappy have a right to their thread. I see no endorsement from Jerry or Dugpa beyond acknowledgement of that.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
User avatar
laughingpinecone
Posts: 695
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:45 am
Location: D'ni
Contact:

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Satisfied Support Group (SPOILERS)

Postby laughingpinecone » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:42 am

Speaking for myself, but the multiplicity of very basic opinions/readings of the new show is a much bigger deterrent than any active negative thread will ever be.
Naturally, all fandoms get some divisive theories, points of view, interpretations. But Twin Peaks is ambiguous by design so it's exhausting. I don't really feel like prefacing each and every thought I might want to share with a slew of "this is my hot take on the frocust's parasitic relationship with Sarah, as it pertains Cooper's arc, whereas this is how Tammy's position in the narrative relates to it, and also I'm considering this connection between Carrie and Laura, and by the way Frank's a tulpa and Phillip and Windom did drugs together". Too many premises, and I certainly don't feel like argumenting and possibly having to defend each and every one of them when in the end I just wanted to make a brief point about Nadine. So I just lurk around and stick to like-minded friends.
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
User avatar
Xavi
Posts: 164
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:23 am

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Satisfied Support Group (SPOILERS)

Postby Xavi » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:40 am

Kilmoore wrote:
Xavi wrote:Here is a start. Dale Cooper died at 2:53.

What evidence are you basing that on? I mean, what did we see on screen that supports this?


1. Time stands still at 2:53
2. It is Cooper's number/time of completion - He run "Out of sand."
3. Death is "just a change."
4. This change is huge; the story changes from being fragmented to being converged
5. The multiplicity of characters are being eradicated
6. If life is a dream then waking up equals being dead.
7. Key 315, that is connected to the "hum," is a death-key.
8. Cooper/Dougie gets separated from "his family" while Badalamenti's theme "Farewell" fills the casino; a theme also heard when the hit-and-run boy died, and when the Log Lady died.
9. It explains why and when Cooper faced the Giant/Fireman/??????? - people are to "see" Him via a vortex (representation of a vision) or when dead (major Briggs).
10. Time-travelling requires the speed of light and beyond, no creature alive is able to. Cooper's after death-journey went into a wrong realm that was facilitated by Phillip Jeffries. Time-traveling disrupts the order of cause and effect; which results in chaos and madness. Exactly that is what Cooper and Carrie experience when entering "our real life reality." In a way this world of madness equals a world of uncertainty, a domain ruled by quantum mechanics where you can be Laura Palmer and Carrie Page, or Richard and Cooper, at the same time. "I am dead, yet I live." ~ forever and ever more.

YMMV
User avatar
Panapaok
Posts: 980
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:07 am

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Satisfied Support Group (SPOILERS)

Postby Panapaok » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:24 am

Twin Peaks was named the 2nd best film (!) of the year on Sight & Sound’s list of best films of 2017.
http://www.bfi.org.uk/features/best-films-2017/
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
Kilmoore
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:20 pm

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Satisfied Support Group (SPOILERS)

Postby Kilmoore » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:28 am

Xavi wrote:
Kilmoore wrote:
Xavi wrote:Here is a start. Dale Cooper died at 2:53.

what did we see on screen that supports this?


2. It is Cooper's number/time of completion - He run "Out of sand."
3. Death is "just a change."
6. If life is a dream then waking up equals being dead.
7. Key 315, that is connected to the "hum," is a death-key.
9. It explains why and when Cooper faced the Giant/Fireman/??????? - people are to "see" Him via a vortex (representation of a vision) or when dead (major Briggs).
10. Time-travelling requires the speed of light and beyond, no creature alive is able to.

Yeah, this is what I meant by "what did we see on screen". All this is just really far reaching speculation with nothing on screen backing it. You can do literally any theory - Cooper killed JFK - if you allow for leaps like these.

"our real life reality."

It's not our real life reality. The name of the person living in the Palmer house isn't Alice Tremond. This is something that we actually know because of what happens on screen.
User avatar
Xavi
Posts: 164
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:23 am

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Satisfied Support Group (SPOILERS)

Postby Xavi » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:59 am

Kilmoore wrote:
Xavi wrote:
Kilmoore wrote: what did we see on screen that supports this?


2. It is Cooper's number/time of completion - He run "Out of sand."
3. Death is "just a change."
6. If life is a dream then waking up equals being dead.
7. Key 315, that is connected to the "hum," is a death-key.
9. It explains why and when Cooper faced the Giant/Fireman/??????? - people are to "see" Him via a vortex (representation of a vision) or when dead (major Briggs).
10. Time-travelling requires the speed of light and beyond, no creature alive is able to.

Yeah, this is what I meant by "what did we see on screen". All this is just really far reaching speculation with nothing on screen backing it. You can do literally any theory - Cooper killed JFK - if you allow for leaps like these.

"our real life reality."

It's not our real life reality. The name of the person living in the Palmer house isn't Alice Tremond. This is something that we actually know because of what happens on screen.


Dale Cooper is dead. He died at 2:53. All evidence I presented to you, comes directly from the screen:

Image

http://twinpeaksseasonthree.blogspot.com
Kilmoore
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:20 pm

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Satisfied Support Group (SPOILERS)

Postby Kilmoore » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:04 am

Xavi wrote:Dale Cooper is dead. He died at 2:53.

Is this something everybody else here agrees with? Like, is this the theory that has around 90% of viewers behind it, and maybe some confirmation from Lynch/Frost? Or is this just another fan theory, arrogantly presented as the absolute truth?
User avatar
Mr. Reindeer
Posts: 1618
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:09 pm

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Satisfied Support Group (SPOILERS)

Postby Mr. Reindeer » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:10 am

Panapaok wrote:Twin Peaks was named the 2nd best film (!) of the year on Sight & Sound’s list of best films of 2017.
http://www.bfi.org.uk/features/best-films-2017/


I’m mixed on this. While it’s great to see the show get such a prestigious accolade, it raises questions about how BFI defines “film” going forward. Is S3/TR/LES more filmlike structurally than other seasons of television? I’m not sure that it is. This is a work edited into 18 distinct hours, with musical acts in many cases acting as very conscious punctuation marks. This wasn’t simply due to the realities of the distribution platform, as the Blu Ray will apparently present the work in the same format, with no option to watch as one long continuous piece. In fact, despite DKL’s protestations that this is a film, the Blu Ray/DVD box calls it a “series.”

Sure, it subverts TV structure in some brilliant and revolutionary ways...but the very fact that it is concerned with TV conventions reinforces the fact that it IS a TV series. While it is heavily serialized, I don’t think it is necessarily moreso than, say, your typical Netflix drama. (Hell, the first season of Top of the Lake exists in a UK version and a US version, with the same material but edited into a different number of episodes, demonstrating how arbitrary episode breaks have become in many circumstances.) Combined with the fact that two hours of the show were screened at Cannes, does this list demonstrate that we have entered an era where delivery mechanisms, and even the artist’s chosen presentation of the work divided into parts, ceases to be a meaningful distinction? I have been saying for years that the last decade and a half of cable drama is reminiscent of the revolution in cinema in the 1970s, and DKL has voiced similar thoughts, calling TV the new arthouse. If the best audiovisual work being done currently is on TV, and if distribution realities such as Netflix and streaming have impossibly blurred distinctions between “film” and “television,” is it time to just throw everything together in one category? If so, is it fair to evaluate an 18-hour work on the same level as a 2-3 hour film? Wouldn’t this be as silly as lumping feature films and shorts into the same category?

Also interesting/weird to note that, instead of listing the director as they do on the other works, they list L/F as creators. I’m always glad to see Mark get his due, but in the interest of consistency, if we’re looking at TR as a film, DKL directed the whole thing, and Mark is very much the equivalent of a producer/screenwriter on a traditional film.
mickeyfickey
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:03 am

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Satisfied Support Group (SPOILERS)

Postby mickeyfickey » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:16 am

Kilmoore wrote:
Xavi wrote:Dale Cooper is dead. He died at 2:53.

Is this something everybody else here agrees with?


Literally no-one. No offense to Xavi, but I think he's suffered some bumps on the ol' noggin.
User avatar
Xavi
Posts: 164
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:23 am

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Satisfied Support Group (SPOILERS)

Postby Xavi » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:26 am

mickeyfickey wrote:
Kilmoore wrote:
Xavi wrote:Dale Cooper is dead. He died at 2:53.

Is this something everybody else here agrees with?


Literally no-one. No offense to Xavi, but I think he's suffered some bumps on the ol' noggin.


Sorry, Mickey, but I prefer arguments, whereas you seem to find pleasure with an ad hominem.
User avatar
Xavi
Posts: 164
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:23 am

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Satisfied Support Group (SPOILERS)

Postby Xavi » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:35 am

TPS0301 [Giant] “Listen to the sounds.”

TPS03E17
"I am headed for Sheriff Truman's. It is 2:53 in Las Vegas, and that adds up to a ten, the number of completion."
Fact: In Cooper’s hospital room, Bushnell gets distracted and “guided away” by that same “hum” that filled the Great Northern Hotel.


TPS03E07
[Ben receives key from Beverly] "Room 315. Wait a minute. I think that was the room where Agent Cooper was shot."
Fact: As soon as Ben delivers key 315 to Frank Truman, the “hum” vanishes from the GNH.


TPS03E17
Fact: Key 315 unlocks the “boiler room,” which is a furnace. Mr C burns in the Waiting Room, at the same time MIKE proclaims his "Fire walk with me."
Fact: There is no way to explain how on earth Cooper could have possibly known that Sheriff Frank Truman got key 315 but to raise the possibility of Cooper’s omniscience.

Return to “Season 3 (2017) The Return (Spoilers)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests