Ep 18 - the only time we properly returned to TP - previous 17 episodes all exist in compressed time and space

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

tmrbhtt

Ep 18 - the only time we properly returned to TP - previous 17 episodes all exist in compressed time and space

Post by tmrbhtt »

Was Episode 18 is the only time we properly returned to TP... Did the previous 17 episodes all exist in a compressed time and space(consider the Irony of almost an entire season filled with loooooong takes of majestic sweeping, eating cake and Dougie bouncing through Vegas like a Pinball

There's stuff is S3 that I still have to come to terms and my thoughts are ever changing as I think about it...

Was the town of TP ever the same once Good Coop went in and DoppleCoop came out? did part 18 give us the real TP , and not some nostalgic Hotchpotch where Norma made the best pies, Shelly always went for the wrong guy, where we had a Briggs in Uniform and where music always played to round out the day. In S3 we were presented echo's of a town and I have the same feeling about S3 as when I wake up after a dream (there's that word again) and try to remember what it was about

but I believe Coop and Laura are now in a different plane of existence, not in a post flashpoint s1 s2 reality but something just to the side of it... also the scream at the end is realisation by Laura of her memories flooding back... and realign S1 and S2 right back in with this reality... another few seconds and we may well have seen both of them blip out of this world and return to the black lodge/waiting room or coop returning to TP in the 2.53 hanging moment... maybe they did... ;-)

Also I believe that Coop was aware of everything going on in S3 (he knows Truman has the Key to his room, he knew Jane E and Sonny Jim and he knows Freddie with the green glove, I therefore also believe he knows that something is up with Sarah, or even knows that she is possesd by Judy/Mother and that he saving/returning Laura to her home would force a showdown that is the "two birds with one stone", save Laura from being killed by bob, destroy Judy who I guess used bob to kill Laura. When Sarah/Judy/Mother is going batshit crazy and smashing her photo it is when she senses Laura has been rescued... and that her plan has been compromised in some way --- what is Judy's plan, well were not gunna talk about Judy's plan :-)... maybe its to watch the boxing match on repeat while perfecting a bloody Mary... maybe it was to keep the town of TP in the fugue state that it had been presented in S3... I thought nothing of the seat switch in the RR at the end of episode 7 where a man comes running in looking for billy... I think it has to be considered significant... wait is the guy that runs in the same guy how starts a fight during Audrey's dance?... ok descending into stream of consciousness territory....must switch to a Word document and spew out on to that first as it’s all going a little episode 18 in my head
floyd2024

Re: Ep 18 - the only time we properly returned to TP - previous 17 episodes all exist in compressed time and space

Post by floyd2024 »

I had a thought that maybe the entire Season besides Episode 18 was showing what Laura was whispering into Cooper's ear in the Red Room. Maybe it was to encourage him to enter the other dimension and find Laura so that she can finally defeat Judy.
tresojos
Roadhouse Member

Re: Ep 18 - the only time we properly returned to TP - previous 17 episodes all exist in compressed time and space

Post by tresojos »

im standing by my theory, that the first time cooper actually left the red room, or the black lodge, was in episode 18. after he exits glastonbury grove and meets diane.
donna madonna mañana fofana osama bin laden hayward
Mystery Roach
Roadhouse Member

Post by Mystery Roach »

tresojos wrote:im standing by my theory, that the first time cooper actually left the red room, or the black lodge, was in episode 18. after he exits glastonbury grove and meets diane.
That's interesting because the one thing I feel pretty sure of is that when he steps out into Glastonbury Grove with Diane he is not back in reality. I'm currently of the mind that the final episode is a journey through shifting realities or realms to find Laura where she's hidden. Whether he's just trying to get her back to the Fireman or to confront Judy I'm not really sure, but when he asks what year it is I think that's him realizing that he doesn't know because he isn't actually in the real world.
Troubbble
RR Diner Member

Post by Troubbble »

tresojos wrote:im standing by my theory, that the first time cooper actually left the red room, or the black lodge, was in episode 18. after he exits glastonbury grove and meets diane.
I find this intriguing, mostly because the version of Cooper who appears past this point more closely resembles the darker, "haunted" version many were expecting to see in The Return--unlike the miraculous reproduction who appeared in place of Dougie. Makes you wonder...
referendum
RR Diner Member

Post by referendum »

''tresojos wrote:
im standing by my theory, that the first time cooper actually left the red room, or the black lodge, was in episode 18. after he exits glastonbury grove and meets diane.''
the only problem with that is that the Diane he meets has a bright red wig ( i.e. is signalled as obviously artificial, or at least raises the question ) and at the motel sees her own copy.
''let's not overthink this opportunity''
lotjx2
Roadhouse Member

Post by lotjx2 »

Alright..as a comic book, Star Trek and Back to the Future guy, I got this.

Time Line A or as I call it The Who Killed Laura Palmer timeline. It is everything up to Diane, Cooper and Cole going into the Black Lodge. All of FWWM, Season 1-3 are in this world. That world still exists, will continue to exist even if neither one of them returns. The only time we may see this world again is when Dale/Diane go on their car trip. Maybe. The only other scene that can be in this timeline is Sara Palmer attacking the picture of Laura which is in a loop. So, that version of Judy is stuck there for now or all time. Who knows.

Time Line B or as I call The Where is Laura Palmer Timline. It is a world in which everything from FWWM happens til Dale pulls her out of time. Her disappearing will not stop that world from existing. Ronnette will be killed by Leland instead of being saved by Laura. He will place the B under her nail and Dale will still come to Twin Peaks. The biggest scene we won't get his the funeral. This world will go from minor to major changes. Mattie still shows up, so she will die at Leland's hands. James, Leo and Bobbie are still suspects. The entire Mill storyline including Dale being shot will still happen. The only massive change I see is with Laura being missing, Cooper will have to call in for backup, so we may get more agents and Wyndem Earl will either not go there or be eventually caught or killed before entering the Black Lodge. Thus Cooper never goes into the lodge and Where Laura Palmer will be the mystery that will last the entire run until she either returns or they move on to another case ie what Lynch wanted in the first place.

Time C or as I call it Shitty America 2017. Welcome to our world. Yep, where Laura, Diane and Coop land is our world. At least that is what David wants us to believe. We have the real homeowner and possibly even David Lynch reading her lines for the nice cash she got in real life. Every Texan has a gun. Check. So, that is what I think happens here. No Judy creating a timeline or tricking them. David is the dreamer, so he manifested them into our world by changing their names to fool the internet. Why Laura screams is because she realizes they are in the wrong timeline not the wrong time. Dale thinks they time traveled, Laura is the magician and she knows they crossed worlds, because she has done it before.

Time D or as I call it the Hub. Ok...hear me out. This is a timeline where all the other timelines meet. That is why we can have the real NIN and Eddie Vedder here. It is also why James can be in this place. You can entire this place and return to your timeline. So, if you are from Timeline C, you can go back to Timeline C instead of being lost in the worlds between. However, you see people from your timeline and not who they are. James sees Donna not Renee, Renee sees James, but she calls him yet its someone else. Audrey is in the fight at the bar, but no one knows its her. James is too busy getting his ass kicked to see her and Audrey never gets a great look at who is fighting. This is also the place I think Laura and Dale return to when Laura screams. Laura's scream knocks the power out of our world in a weird twist a fate while three real life hurricanes descend on this world. She and Dale are probably transported to the hub as it is the space between two worlds. Laura's scream has been known to send her away. I theorize it sends her to this place if we get Season 4. Spoiler...we are not getting Season 4.

I am pretty confident on Timelines A, B and C. D is a pet theory, but its the few that makes sense. I know people are saying Judy is in timeline C, but I am not sure I buy til Lynch comes out and says it. Judy maybe able to move to other worlds, but if she creates new worlds then why not create one where she wins a billion years ago.
bastia
Roadhouse Member

Post by bastia »

That is my thought too. It is one of the few things i am quite sure. The cooper that come out is the real cooper, changed by the 25 years locked up in the lodge ( tired and disoriented, but still him, a little like the bowie jeffries).
Coop could not possibly be like he was before.. That was him dreaming of his old self, the dream of the lodge. That is why he could always sees mike and the lodge. Cause he's never left it before episode 18.