Creepiest/scariest scene(s) [Spoilers]

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

alreadygoneplaces
RR Diner Member

Re: Creepiest/scariest scene(s) [Spoilers]

Post by alreadygoneplaces »

Gordon and co meet the doppleganger in prison.
All Sarah Palmer's scenes (except for maybe the face removal/murder)
Detonation and zoom in on the atomic bomb
First glimpses of the convenience store in episode 8.
Framed_Angel
RR Diner Member

Post by Framed_Angel »

Woodsmen appearing, & surrounding Doppelcoop's body and performing ritualistic acts while Ray watches, screaming. Not understanding what they were doing (therefore very unsettling) but Ray's reaction underscored the scariness. Music was eerily effective. The woodsmen didn't have much creepy-effect on me any of the other times, though.

"Gotta light" dude had such precision in his delivery. The way the pinky on his one hand, as he grasped the car windowsill for example, would do this little involuntary bending-motion. The frog-moth as it entered Girl 1956's mouth bent its one leg in a way, to balance itself getting inside, similar to GottaLight's curled finger.. All of his motions were so deliberate in execution yet seemed arbitrary in how this character was conceived. His vocals with simple repeated lines I knew the voice was exaggerated some, it worked well; but I've thought about re-watching without sound, just to see if it has the same impact.

When I did rewatch once, I noticed the young man who'd just said farewell & kissed the young girl then turned to walk away and onward - - it showed this young man from behind, ascending a hill, and the next moment with the appearance of the radio station, we see not the young man but the Gotta Light dude as he beholds the same station in the distance. THAT creeped me out and I didn't see it mentioned much, but hadn't found any further significance for that timing. At first I thought young man was being pursued by GottaLight. The dark resolution of the filming made it so ambiguous.

The noises made during Cooper's encounter with Naido in the mauve room. Her obscured vocals fascinated me, and the banging on the other side of the door was powerful for me, and I like to contrast that with wondering "who's on the other side of that door" of the Palmer house as current occupant "Ms. Tremond" keeps turning to look at some unidentified person (or thing?..) out of view while she speaks with Cooper. In and of itself quite creepy.
YANA

Post by YANA »

Final scene hands down. Possibly the most unsettled I've been by anything Lynch has done. Whilst my thoughts still aren't clear, the atmosphere of Part 18 has haunted me since broadcast.
Jacob
Roadhouse Member

Post by Jacob »

Now I think about it, the final scene is a lot similar to the one with Laura Dern in the snow with the prostitues in INLAND EMPIRE.

It's funny because the day before the finale aired, I was telling a friend how this scene had upset me when I watched INLAND EMPIRE for the first time. I almost cried, because like Dern, who is waking up in a world she doesn't understand, speaking to people who don't recognize her ("don't you recognize me ?" so haunting...) I was completely lost while watching the movie and had the impression I'd been in the cinema for fucking 10 hours.
So I'm thinking Lynch may have think Part 18's finale scene the same way -- and it must be even more powerful when you're watching the 18 parts back-to-back like one movie.

Anyway, the creepiest scene to me is by far Sarah Palmer's face on the Jumping Man. Not really a scene though.
Mr. Jackpots
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Jackpots »

Sarah Palmers face removal.

The kids getting killed by the box experiment.

The assassination of Lorraine.

The Woodsmen or dirty bearded men resurrecting Mr.C, especially in Ep 8.

And for sure a whole bunch of others.

And the creepiest moment without a doubt for me. Is the look on Cooper's face when the end credits role during the finale. It strikes me as a look of pure terror and heartbreak. Like, here's this guy, who's having maybe his only lucid moment of self realization in 25 years. And his life is gone. He's been stuck in this room, with Laura whispering in his ear something he can't remember.
homieonice
Roadhouse Member

Post by homieonice »

"Starring Kyle MacLachlan" over the slowed down Laura whispering in Coop's ear. I was frozen. Absolutely shocking sequence leading up to that.

And the car ride back to twin peaks in the dark.

"Is someone following us?"

This was the best scene for me in the whole Return. it really felt like we were stuck frozen in time for the duration of that sequence. pretty amazing stuff
There they are Albert... Faces of stone!
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

All things Sarah. Each succeeding scene was creepier than the last. All respect and love to Kyle, Zabriskie gets MVP.

Also the Woodsmen descending on DoppelCoop to slowed-down Beethoven. Kinda wish they hadn't repeated this in the sunny sheriff's station.

Surprised by the love for the "is someone following us?" sequence. I mean, I honestly expected a LOT of kvetching on this board that the lights of the car behind them looked very "poor man's process." It worked for me in a dreamlike way, but given how annoyed people were by Sky Ferreira's empty beer can foley, which I still don't quite notice, I figured this would be an uproar. Personally, I thought the sequence worked fine but wasn't a series high for me.
Novalis
RR Diner Member

Post by Novalis »

Apart from scenes in which 'something happens', I want to also give credit to those many scenes with very little action or dialogue, but which are particularly unsettling.

The silence in the car as Cooper and Diane drive in the dark; the long pauses in conversation between Richard and Alice; the flicking between shots of video cameras as Sam sits staring at the glass box. Each is accompanied by a low menacing drone of audio ambiance, which I think works so well in this series to create and maintain a hovering, sustained uneasy feeling. It occurs again in the woods during the final scene of Gersten and Stephen, where it works with a combination of tight and wide shots to great effect. The sound design is superbly creepy.
As a matter of fact, 'Chalfont' was the name of the people that rented this space before. Two Chalfonts. Weird, huh?
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

Actually, one of my biggest issues with TR is that I can't think of a single scene that comes close to the original series or FWWM in terms of creepiness.
Yes, there were some creepy moments, but nothing that scared the bejesus out of me like Ronette's nightmare with BOB, Maddy's murder scene, BOB crouching over the couch, Laura's Meanwhile scene in the Black Lodge, BOB caught searching for Laura's diary, etc.
Spacevessel

Post by Spacevessel »

Sarah Palmer, home alone at night, watching bloody animals on a big modern tv in slow motion was captivatingly creepy.
"I should have been a pair of ragged claws, scuttling across the floors of silent seas."
Jam Burglar

Post by Jam Burglar »

For me the most disturbing was the kid getting hit by the Truck. Too real.

Creepy would go to

Woodsman creeping up on the car.

Frog-fly.

The Experiment, although also maybe my favorite part of the return.
DoppelBocker
Roadhouse Member

Post by DoppelBocker »

I didn't think the season was creepy or scary really at all.

It was more a spectrum of feelings from disgust (guy hitting on Sarah in bar and weird frazzed out moment with ridiculous ring finger appearing from other side before bit the guy) to depressed and sort of feeling on another plane (after watching last 2 episodes).

There were definitely a few scenes that made me uncomfortable watching twice moreso due to way the scenes play out than anything (Hastings sobbing interview, Richard visiting his grandma, Mr. C's scene with Darya, Richard's sex scene with Linda in finale) while others just watched and sort of put off by (davenport's head on brigg's body, ike spike stabbing bit graphic but for some reason not notice on 1st watch probably since kind of tuned it out accidentally).

The creepiest thing I think I saw though was on youtube. Somebody freezeframed a scene where Mr. C visits the convenience store and the Jumping Man briefly appears with Sarah's face superimposed upon it. That I think would fit the creepy category best.

Edit: The scenes with Laura screaming as well as sounds of Sarah moaning before attacks picture both shades of something I guess could qualify as having some creep factor woven in.
Last edited by DoppelBocker on Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote:Actually, one of my biggest issues with TR is that I can't think of a single scene that comes close to the original series or FWWM in terms of creepiness.
Yes, there were some creepy moments, but nothing that scared the bejesus out of me like Ronette's nightmare with BOB, Maddy's murder scene, BOB crouching over the couch, Laura's Meanwhile scene in the Black Lodge, BOB caught searching for Laura's diary, etc.
Agreed. There were plenty skin-crawling moments in TR but the creepiness of the original series wasn't there for sure. I'm interested to see whether those moments will hold up in future viewings, like all the creepy stuff from the original.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
AgentEcho
RR Diner Member

Post by AgentEcho »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote:Actually, one of my biggest issues with TR is that I can't think of a single scene that comes close to the original series or FWWM in terms of creepiness.
I also agree with this. I'm actually going to differentiate creepiness and scariness, I think The Return did creepy quite well, but the levels of sheer white knuckle scariness it never reached the levels that the Lynch directed stuff in the show and FWWM achieved. I wouldn't call that an issue for me as I appreciated so much of The Return (including the creepiness), but the original TP material had some of the genuinely scariest scenes I've ever seen... and you sighted many examples.

But I don't think Lynch was interested in recreating that. With the possible exception of the glass box attack scene, I can't think of any scene in the return that seemed interested in creating a sense of terror.
OrsonWelles
Roadhouse Member

Post by OrsonWelles »

If the first and second series were scary, I guess you could call the third uncomfortable. There were a lot more scenes that combined fear with an uneasy feeling. Like the scene with Richard en the girl in the bang bang, or Richard and his grandmother, or the Lincoln Woodsman and the head, Cooper en Darya.