Ronette and American Girl

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

douglasb
RR Diner Member

Ronette and American Girl

Post by douglasb »

Although Phoebe A played 'American Girl' there's nothing in the plot that suggested she was actually Ronette.

Now that Naido has been revealed as Diane does this change things at all? There is the suggestion that BadCoop must have killed the 'real' Diane or at least taken her to the Red Room (and by implication the Mauve Room) but as far as we know Ronette is still alive. So is there *anything* in the story that suggests who AG is?
OrsonWelles
Roadhouse Member

Re: Ronette and American Girl

Post by OrsonWelles »

douglasb wrote:Although Phoebe A played 'American Girl' there's nothing in the plot that suggested she was actually Ronette.

Now that Naido has been revealed as Diane does this change things at all? There is the suggestion that BadCoop must have killed the 'real' Diane or at least taken her to the Red Room (and by implication the Mauve Room) but as far as we know Ronette is still alive. So is there *anything* in the story that suggests who AG is?
Perhaps she's there because Cooper saved Laura? (I don't know if that would be consistent, though)
DoppelBocker
Roadhouse Member

Post by DoppelBocker »

By OrsonWelles:
Perhaps she's there because Cooper saved Laura? (I don't know if that would be consistent, though)
That's about the only explanation that makes sense outside of her dying for some unknown reason years after S2. Telephone pole number 6 seems to change location from FWWM to Season 3 then at end of Season 3. Something's going on here...
Manwith
RR Diner Member

Post by Manwith »

douglasb wrote:Although Phoebe A played 'American Girl' there's nothing in the plot that suggested she was actually Ronette.

She seems to say Judy is her mother so I don't think she's the same character. I think she's just a new character.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Manwith wrote:

She seems to say Judy is her mother so I don't think she's the same character. I think she's just a new character.
There's no way DKL didn't at least intend some symbolic resonance when he cast Augustine. He made a conscious effort of bringing her back whenever he directed on the original show, long after the other producers/writers had forgotten/stopped caring about Ronette. Her presence in that key scene of TR -- possibly THE strongest sequence of the show, once the dust has settled -- seems significant.

Also worth noting -- Dale and "Carrie" enter TP by driving over "Ronette's bridge," correct?
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:Also worth noting -- Dale and "Carrie" enter TP by driving over "Ronette's bridge," correct?
That's actually a walking bridge, although it did seem like the bridge in part 18 could have been chosen due to its visual similarity to Ronette's bridge. It's certainly what sprung instantly into my mind.

PsychoFox
Roadhouse Member

Post by PsychoFox »

OrsonWelles wrote:
Or perhaps Cooper cannot saved Laura, as we saw her vanishing just before Jack Rabbit's palace, which is an enter to the mauve location.

But perhaps Ronette could be saved ?

And in a way or another, she has been transported to the mauve place, instead of Laura.
Denise's Pieces
Roadhouse Member

Post by Denise's Pieces »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
Manwith wrote:
douglasb wrote:
Also worth noting -- Dale and "Carrie" enter TP by driving over "Ronette's bridge," correct?
The bridge they drove over is about a block from where Richard ran over the kid (TR) and where Gerard menaced Laura and Leland (FWWM). Going the other direction takes you to Reinig Road, home of Ronette's Bridge and the Twin Peaks sign.