All of the above
23%
I have no negative criticism
30%

Total votes: 73
George

Re: Poll: Criticism of The Return

Post by George »

I don't particularly care to ponder the show's weaknesses since it offers so much remarkable stuff to chew on.
But I definitely think the show is flawed and messy, but then, I tend to like lots of messy works of art. Like Boris Godunov by Mussorgsky. Or Age of Adz by Sufjan Stevens. Or Twin Peaks before The Return. ;)
Anyway, I'll shortly mention that my main criticism would be the plotlines that go nowhere interesting. Like, the guy who orders the hits, and the guy who works for him, what's his name...Robert? Their storyline ends with them being killed, and that's it. Richard Horne's storyline is a parade of misery that doesn't add up to anything. It was the weakest one in the show for me. And the 119 woman...I guess she was the definition of a moving painting, but I didn't think of it as a good one. Nothing of interest happened with her either. Also, it's disappointing how Matthew Lillard's wife went out. There are certainly moments where I felt that the story didn't move forward in the most interesting fashion. But then it always did soon enough in other ways.
That storylines weren't resolved and were kept hanging in the air...I like that, actually! I guess I could have done without the Audrey storyline being put on hold as an unresolved cliffhanger.

Edit: I want to add that I missed the slice of life quality of the original series. I wish the cast of characters would have been smaller so that we could have gotten to know certain characters better. Norma's storyline felt rushed, for example, and I would have loved to see more of the Briggs family. We got slice of life with the Jones family, certainly, but the original series managed to do it with the whole town. Yeah, I missed this. I guess I can't stop pondering this question after all! :?
Gotta take the good with the bad, though. And there's no other series that I looked as much forward to, that stayed in my mind as much and absolutely shook me to my core at the end. So, yeah...
Last edited by George on Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

Panapaok wrote:Dropped plotlines. I didn't really have any issue with the creative decisions such as many locales, different use of music or pacing.
This exactly. 100% same feeling here, needless to say I still loved every minute.
Ashok
Great Northern Member

Post by Ashok »

Needs an option for "It ended."
"Whatever happened, happened." -Daniel Faraday
Mr. Strawberry
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Strawberry »

Voted "Not enough Twin Peaks storylines".

I really enjoyed The Return, but wish that we could have spent more time in Twin Peaks. After a few Parts had aired, I began to worry that we wouldn't see enough of the original characters or what they've been doing with their lives, and my fears were eventually realized in that regard.

This isn't to say that I object to spending time outside of the original locations, because I think that expanding the geography adds something, not to mention that DoppelDale wouldn't have stayed put for a quarter of a century. Still, I'd have definitely preferred more of a balance.

Note: I don't view any of the Roadhouse performances as "spending time in Twin Peaks". To me they are a complete waste of time made up of musically dull showcasing that I will never rewatch. In fact, I would have voted "The Roadhouse performances" had that been a choice in this poll.
Troubbble
RR Diner Member

Post by Troubbble »

The dropped storylines are the only thing that bothers me. And not because I think it reflects carelessness on Mark and David's part, either.

I feel like there was a lot of purpose behind everything they did, and since I can't understand their intentions with these side-stories, it's making me feel like I've missed something important.