Mark Frost's Contributions to TP:TR (Speculation)

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

squealy
Roadhouse Member

Re: Mark Frost's Contributions to TP:TR (Speculation)

Post by squealy »

"I felt you can’t just hint endlessly at something just beyond your reach."

Tell that to David Lynch!
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

The thing I have loved in these interviews is the confirmation that Mark Frost has indeed pushed for logical underpinnings to each aspect of the story, but he then very cautiously leaves room for ambiguity. That is exactly how my prejudice assumed that he worked.

I also think that Lynch is much more rational about some aspects of the story than people might assume, but that's a hunch that will never be confirmed.

These interviews are making my fairly literal/straightforward reading of the story feel more correct to me. I still haven't read The Final Dossier (it is taking ages to reach Australia), so I read each of these interviews will a mild panic in case I see a spoiler.
Poiuyt
Roadhouse Member

Post by Poiuyt »

I actually cancelled my Facebook account after the events of the last year, but give them my best regards. [laughs]
hey, so did i! me and mark frost, we're like this, man.

that "deus ex machina" answer in regards to freddie and bob was pretty interesting. more ancient mythology, if you stretch the meaning a bit. (a deus ex machina is essentially an evolution of the divine intervention, according to good ol' tv tropes.)
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Post by Wonderful & Strange »

The Final Dossier and Frost's interviews back up most of my theories on the show.
Spoiler:
All the alternative Twin Peaks' timelines stuff is wrong: there's just one primary timeline that's been revised by Cooper's actions. The people of Twin Peaks now believe Laura disappeared. The chronology of the show is not moving back and forth between different versions of Twin Peaks; when the chronology is slightly off, this isn't an in world phenomenon, but just the formal construction of the narrative.

Also, many of us speculated that Audrey was mentally ill in some way. And it turns out that she became agoraphobic and then deteriorated such that she needed private care. This was the result of what Mr. C did to her, but also the difficulty she must have had in raising an evil child.

Of course, Frost hints that people falling into addiction and madness begin to put one foot into the the Black Lodge. But this entrance is from physical deterioration. I love this idea.

Maddy also didn't die because of Cooper's actions, which is great news. I didn't predict this, but it makes me happy. :D
I'm even more thrilled with S3 now than I was when watching it.
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

Poiuyt wrote:
I actually cancelled my Facebook account after the events of the last year, but give them my best regards. [laughs]
hey, so did i! me and mark frost, we're like this, man.

that "deus ex machina" answer in regards to freddie and bob was pretty interesting. more ancient mythology, if you stretch the meaning a bit. (a deus ex machina is essentially an evolution of the divine intervention, according to good ol' tv tropes.)
In screenwriting terminology Deux Ex Machina/God in the machine refers to breaking one of the cardinal rules. If you throw something in from out of left field, at the 11th hour at the moment of our characters being most at risk, which magically saves the day, audiences will feel cheated and unfulfilled. With "The Return" it seems that Lynch/Frost have strived to break all of those cardinal rules. Another being "show don't tell" - and remember how all of the most important information is simply given by Cole calmly speaking in uninterrupted monologues in his hotel room. Add to this puncturing the "Hero's Journey" framework by infantilizing Cooper for most of the season and there is definitely a pattern to this. How do you revolutionize and alter a medium: by breaking all of its rules. Some of these experiments worked better than others, but it has been very rewarding to watch the attempts.
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

I went through Wikipedia's Deus ex machina page after his reply and I found a couple of interesting quotes to mumble over, in addition to the basic confirmation of the fact that Freddie's intervention (or the Fireman's trough Freddie, if you will) was intentionally jarring and out of left field:
Aristotle praised Euripides, however, for generally ending his plays with bad fortune, which he viewed as correct in tragedy, and somewhat excused the intervention of a deity by suggesting that "astonishment" should be sought in tragic drama:[17]
Irrationalities should be referred to what people say: that is one solution, and also sometimes that it is not irrational, since it is probable that improbable things will happen.
Other champions of the device believe that it can be a spectacular agent of subversion. It can be used to undercut generic conventions and challenge cultural assumptions and the privileged role of tragedy as a literary/theatrical model"
"However, other scholars have looked at Euripides' use of deus ex machina and described its use as an integral part of the plot designed for a specific purpose. Often Euripides' plays would begin with gods, so it is argued that it would be natural for the gods to finish the action. The conflict throughout Euripides' plays would be caused by the meddling of the gods and therefore would make sense to both the playwright and the audience of the time that the gods would resolve all conflict that they began.
Some 20th-century revisionist criticism suggests that deus ex machina cannot be viewed in these simplified terms, and contends that the device allows mortals to "probe" their relationship with the divine.[24] Rush Rehm in particular cites examples of Greek tragedy in which the deus ex machina complicates the lives and attitudes of characters confronted by the deity, while simultaneously bringing the drama home to its audience.
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
AgentEcho
RR Diner Member

Post by AgentEcho »

Mark Frost drops the most amount of detail yet about the process from which the new season developed in the Sam Esmail conversation. One very relevant note was that they did keep talking out the story until it made sense to both of them, and he very much paints a picture that Frost is totally on board with every aspect of the new season.
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

I wonder who was more influential in setting a large portion of the show in Las Vegas specifically.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
Xavi
RR Diner Member

Post by Xavi »

Frost's cameo was prominent, huge or should I write gigantic?