Mark Frost's Contributions to TP:TR (Speculation)

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

claaa7
Great Northern Member

Re: Mark Frost's Contributions to TP:TR (Speculation)

Post by claaa7 »

IcedOver wrote:I'm also not familiar with Frost's novels, but for certain Freddie is his creation. Frost was one of a team of writers on the 2005 and 2007 "Fantastic Four" movies, so obviously he has at least some connection to comic book properties. Freddie's dialogue in the Great Northern scene just doesn't feel like something Lynch would have written. Too bad he didn't develop the character more for him to play such a crucial role.
agree about the Freddie thing most likely being almost purely a Frost creation.. even more reminiscent of a Fantastic Four type of movie, his dialouge with James and the end scene with VolleyBOB is reminiscent of the Paladin Prophecy. i picked up the first volume in the series a few years back on the strength of Frost's name and the plot bears some striking similarities to Freddie.. in broad strokes it's about an ordinary kid without any extreme focus in his life who is suddenly clued in by what seem to be supernatural forces that he has a destiny to fulfill. there's a climactic battle between the good guys and the baddies at the end, and if i remember right there's even some sort of magickal power glove of iron that plays a part in the outcome. i need to dig that up to confirm though, i'll try to do that later today if i find the book.
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

i think what some people forget are that Frost is not only credited as the writer of the series, he's also credited as the creator and the executive producer, highlighting his name first in both cases. it wasn't like he handed in the script and Lynch blocked his call, i would think he was around for most of the pre-, production and post-production
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

We certainly know that he was walking his dog around the set :-D
powerleftist
Roadhouse Member

Post by powerleftist »

Sheer speculation on my part:

- Freddie

- Atomic bomb

- All the stuff about coordinates, vortexes, dates, etc.

- Tulpas

- Buckhorn

- Major Briggs stuff

- Hawk's map

- The black box in Buenos Aires
AgentEcho
RR Diner Member

Post by AgentEcho »

I'm also not seeing a connection between Mark Frost's comic book screenplay and Freddie. Freddie seems like a parody of comic book tropes, one of a series of choices that seemed interested in subverting expectations... in this case the expectation of a big showdown or battle between the good forces and evil. We were all expecting it, but they gave it to us startlingly quickly after a really long build up and it came in an absurdly silly manner (which naturally led to many criticisms that it was anticlimactic, which was almost assuredly the point). As I imagine Lynch being very much the driver of this interest in subverting expectations I'd expect he fully embraced Freddie no matter who first thought of the character.
AgentEcho
RR Diner Member

Post by AgentEcho »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:The fact that he took a well-paying gig doesn't mean he's super passionate about the subject matter, and I've never seen him express any interest in superheroes or comic books.
I'm pointing this out more for the amusing timing than to refute your point, but an hour ago Frost referenced The Joker and Arkham Asylum in a anti-Trump tweet.
douglasb
RR Diner Member

Post by douglasb »

Man, imagine having the opportunity to work on a well-loved TV show after 25 years and make it deliberately "anti-climactic". What a thrill that would be.
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

claaa7 wrote:i think what some people forget are that Frost is not only credited as the writer of the series, he's also credited as the creator and the executive producer, highlighting his name first in both cases.
The fact that he's listed first is likely because of alphabetical order.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

IcedOver wrote:
claaa7 wrote:i think what some people forget are that Frost is not only credited as the writer of the series, he's also credited as the creator and the executive producer, highlighting his name first in both cases.
The fact that he's listed first is likely because of alphabetical order.
Nah, this has just always been their arrangement from the beginning of TP. I've always taken it as an act of deference by DKL (obviously the more famous of the two) to show his respect and appreciation for Mark's contributions. For contrast, see DKL being credited before Bob Engels on the writers' credit for FWWM.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Sabrina Southerland just confirmed in her AMA that DKL did continue writing more scenes solo while Mark was writing TSHoTP. Those scenes were sent to Frost for approval and he didn't change anything. She won't say which scenes. The Roadhouse townies are a very obvious candidate for me.
DoppelBocker
Roadhouse Member

Post by DoppelBocker »

I just read that quote from Sabrina Sutherland.

Every single source beyond speculation seems to put Frost in the backseat of the creative process on Season 3. He doesn't change a thing that David puts in seems obvious who was in the driver's seat the whole time.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

DoppelBocker wrote:I just read that quote from Sabrina Sutherland.

Every single source beyond speculation seems to put Frost in the backseat of the creative process on Season 3. He doesn't change a thing that David puts in seems obvious who was in the driver's seat the whole time.
I disagree. I think DKL sending the sides to Mark shows that he respected the partnership and wanted Frost's approval. Frost not changing anything indicates that he was fine with what David did. There was nothing stopping Frost from writing more material too if he had wanted to.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

She literally says the exact opposite of this in black and white.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
DoppelBocker
Roadhouse Member

Post by DoppelBocker »

N. Needleman wrote:
She literally says the exact opposite of this in black and white.
What she said didn't give me the impression Frost's contributions were moreso from a story standpoint than David Lynch's or that their input was about the same. This thread is about Frost's level of contribution. There seems to be some qualms with the story direction at certain points and speculation his hand was behind much of it. I think it's obvious he was working with Lynch but there's no hard sources to indicate he had near the level of influence on certain things as some on this thread suggest.

Nothing wrong with speculating just saying I don't find any hard sources to corroborate this and have listed in previous post numerous things I see as making me doubt his influence was all that great; his book not being read by David Lynch being 1 example.

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
I disagree. I think DKL sending the sides to Mark shows that he respected the partnership and wanted Frost's approval. Frost not changing anything indicates that he was fine with what David did. There was nothing stopping Frost from writing more material too if he had wanted to.
Is there any source to suggest Frost was behind Season 3 moreso than Lynch was in any sort of source involved with the production process though? (him being sent material showed he respected Lynch's direction and going along with providing input where needed). I'm just under the impression he wasn't really behind a lot of the qualms people have with Season 3 from a story standpoint and that he was moreso in the passenger seat for season 3. I respect that you disagree though I just have another impression based on numerous things I've read
Manwith
RR Diner Member

Post by Manwith »

Nonsense. If Frost liked what Lynch wrote he would have no reason to ask for changes.