Mark Frost's Contributions to TP:TR (Speculation)

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Re: Mark Frost's Contributions to TP:TR (Speculation)

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

The following thread contains to my knowledge Mark’s most extensive comments on S3 to date, and lots of info pertinent to this topic:

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=3935

He takes ownership or co-ownership of the commentary on materialism/the financial crisis (no surprise there), the Las Vegas setting, Wally, the Orpheus themes of Part 17 (as well as Cooper’s hubris in trying to change the past and his personality integrating his “shadow self” into his being), Dougie, and the “birth of evil” concepts in Part 8 (he says he and DKL always knew the atomic bomb sequence would be a 15-minute tour de force). On the other hand, the Audrey material that ended up in the show was scripted solely by DKL, but Mark likes it better than what they originally wrote.
Nikki Grace
Roadhouse Member

Post by Nikki Grace »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:The following thread contains to my knowledge Mark’s most extensive comments on S3 to date, and lots of info pertinent to this topic:

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=3935

He takes ownership or co-ownership of the commentary on materialism/the financial crisis (no surprise there), the Las Vegas setting, Wally, the Orpheus themes of Part 17 (as well as Cooper’s hubris in trying to change the past and his personality integrating his “shadow self” into his being), Dougie, and the “birth of evil” concepts in Part 8 (he says he and DKL always knew the atomic bomb sequence would be a 15-minute tour de force). On the other hand, the Audrey material that ended up in the show was scripted solely by DKL, but Mark likes it better than what they originally wrote.
I agree it's more exciting too.

I do wonder however whether there was any truth in Sherilyn Fenn "refusing" to film the scenes as originally written ie with her working at the salon, and Lynch wrote the new limbo-dream scenes for her instead?
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

Oh I love this. Can't even pick a fave. Maybe Coop's driving conflict being his inability to integrate his shadow self. Maybe "that time travel was an act of hubris" stated just like that. I feel like I'm sitting on coals waiting for that damn book to come out, but knowing that I find my views mostly aligned with his helps allay my fears. Back to Frost's contributions to TPTR specifically, this confirms (...obviously...) that he was involved with the ending.
Nikki Grace wrote: I agree it's more exciting too.

I do wonder however whether there was any truth in Sherilyn Fenn "refusing" to film the scenes as originally written ie with her working at the salon, and Lynch wrote the new limbo-dream scenes for her instead?
That was confirmed by Fenn herself in that Italian interview I posted in the articles thread!
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

laughingpinecone wrote:Oh I love this. Can't even pick a fave. Maybe Coop's driving conflict being his inability to integrate his shadow self. Maybe "that time travel was an act of hubris" stated just like that. I feel like I'm sitting on coals waiting for that damn book to come out, but knowing that I find my views mostly aligned with his helps allay my fears. Back to Frost's contributions to TPTR specifically, this confirms (...obviously...) that he was involved with the ending.

That was confirmed by Fenn herself in that Italian interview I posted in the articles thread!
I found the article. If true, that would be extremely hypocritical of Fenn. She has been complaining for years about how Maclachlan and Boyle derailed the plotline that was intended for her character. I don't know what to believe, since at the time Fenn was mostly voicing off about salaries and the size of the part. It would be interesting to read the original scenes - seems an odd choice to place Audrey in a hair salon.
Nikki Grace
Roadhouse Member

Post by Nikki Grace »

laughingpinecone wrote:Oh I love this. Can't even pick a fave. Maybe Coop's driving conflict being his inability to integrate his shadow self. Maybe "that time travel was an act of hubris" stated just like that. I feel like I'm sitting on coals waiting for that damn book to come out, but knowing that I find my views mostly aligned with his helps allay my fears. Back to Frost's contributions to TPTR specifically, this confirms (...obviously...) that he was involved with the ending.

Thanks, I had no idea there was an actual quote of her saying it! It's actually pretty good of Lynch to rewrite it for her. I guess in his mind her concerns came from the right place; in other words not from a position of vanity but rather a place of empathy where she felt an attachment to Audrey and did not feel the salon idea was "truthful". If it had been the former I think Lynch would have said goodbye to Fenn and offed her character to a place outside the story just like he did with Donna and the MFAP.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Well, all information, including his own accounts, indicates that MJA’s concerns were purely financial, and everyone besides Kyle got paid scale...so there wasn’t much to work with there. Based on LFB’s post-series track record with the franchise, I would hazard a guess that she would have refused to participate even they scripted her an Emmy-ready role (I’m surprised they even approached her — did anyone realistically expect her to be in this?). I would guess that Fenn was unique in that she had specific content-based objections, and I respect that (just as I respect her refusing to parade around in the Miss Twin Peaks contest). While some might term her behavior unprofessional, I appreciate her devotion to the character, and even Mark and David seem to feel that her stubbornness resulted in much more interesting material.

As far as hypocrisy allegations go, I get the sense that Fenn would have been less vocally outraged at Kyle’s behavior in S2 if she believed his stated motives (defending Coop’s character). Obviously, she — correctly or incorrectly — believes that it was motivated more by behind-the-scenes hanky panky than artistic interest, and therein lies the rub. Fenn may be a bit colorful (to put it charitably...and aren’t we all?), but I wouldn’t call her a hypocrite. It’s not like she was jockeying for some sexy, glamorous material in S3. She just wanted something that was truer for the character, to her mind.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Nevertheless, she meddled behind the camera. And she tweeted some stuff that was rather insulting to some fellow cast members, to Kimmy Robertson, for instance (something about her attire, I don't remember exactly). Plus, she enviously directed her anger at MacLachlan for being the one with the largest part in promoting the series pre-release. And, worst of all, she continuously encouraged her social media groupies to start a crusade against how badly she was supposedly treated by the-powers-that-be, her otherwise beloved DKL not excluded. All jolly bad behavior.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Agent Earle wrote:Nevertheless, she meddled behind the camera. And she tweeted some stuff that was rather insulting to some fellow cast members, to Kimmy Robertson, for instance (something about her attire, I don't remember exactly). Plus, she enviously directed her anger at MacLachlan for being the one with the largest part in promoting the series pre-release. And, worst of all, she continuously encouraged her social media groupies to start a crusade against how badly she was supposedly treated by the-powers-that-be, her otherwise beloved DKL not excluded. All jolly bad behavior.
Yes, I agree that a lot of her behavior in this process hasn’t been laudable. I didn’t mean to imply otherwise, although my prior post perhaps seemed to do so by omission.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

If it’s any consolation, they all get along pretty darn well now.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
Henrys Hair
RR Diner Member

Post by Henrys Hair »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:... and everyone besides Kyle got paid scale...
Is that the case for the whole cast? I've no reason to disbelieve it but it does seem a bit shitty for a lot of the returning cast who were such a big part of the original.
chromereflectsimage
RR Diner Member

Post by chromereflectsimage »

Agent Earle wrote:Nevertheless, she meddled behind the camera. And she tweeted some stuff that was rather insulting to some fellow cast members, to Kimmy Robertson, for instance (something about her attire, I don't remember exactly). Plus, she enviously directed her anger at MacLachlan for being the one with the largest part in promoting the series pre-release. And, worst of all, she continuously encouraged her social media groupies to start a crusade against how badly she was supposedly treated by the-powers-that-be, her otherwise beloved DKL not excluded. All jolly bad behavior.
She cleared up the Kimmy thing was a misunderstanding, and she quoted that person because she thought it was a post in support of Audrey, not cause of the comment about Kimmy's dress attire.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Henrys Hair wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:... and everyone besides Kyle got paid scale...
Is that the case for the whole cast? I've no reason to disbelieve it but it does seem a bit shitty for a lot of the returning cast who were such a big part of the original.
I think this is what people in the know said, and no one has contradicted it. It doesn’t seem unreasonable to me, given that pretty much every actor’s scenes could have been shot in a couple of weeks tops. Other than maybe Naomi Watts and a few others, no one was putting in a particularly significant amount of time on this project.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

I especially like the shadow self quote. In no small part because it feels good knowing I was on the right track in feeling the finale was integral to the central thrust of the narrative, as the finale revealed that it had actually been about Cooper's identity all along. It really tied everything together for me and led me to understand all of the multiple Coopers differently, and solidified that Mr. C was indeed part of Cooper (and not just his opposite) all along. So I love Frost's quote.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

Mr. Reindeer wrote: Based on LFB’s post-series track record with the franchise, I would hazard a guess that she would have refused to participate even they scripted her an Emmy-ready role
I disagree.
Hester Prynne
RR Diner Member

Post by Hester Prynne »

eyeboogers wrote:- seems an odd choice to place Audrey in a hair salon.
Yeah - this is about as odd as Hawk quitting the Sheriif's Department and opening a pizzeria or Andy going to medical school and becoming the area's preeminent brain surgeon.

The Audrey I remember from the first season would have stopped at nothing to hunt Mr. C's worthless ass down (to her, Cooper) and she probably would have used her father's money to do it. Then, she'd probably find a way to make a hostile takeover of her father's business eventually if she was that ticked off at him based on the retcon. - What great possibilities these or others would have been to explore Audrey's dark side.

But, I'm sure she makes great perms.