So is there anyone else who prefers The Return to the original?

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Skip Bittman
Roadhouse Member

Re: So is there anyone else who prefers The Return to the original?

Post by Skip Bittman »

Now that the dust has settled and I've had some time to think: yep, still think it's better than the original run by far. Pure A/V magic and I sure hope they cast another spell. My original "!" has settled into "!!!" after a rewatch burst.
The Gazebo
RR Diner Member

Re: So is there anyone else who prefers The Return to the original?

Post by The Gazebo »

Time elapsed might be the essence here.

Just as those of us who prefer the original series could be accused of cozying up in the warmth of our familiar blanket, having grandma read our favourite bedtime story for the umpteenth time, so could The Return's hallelujah crowd be somewhat susceptible to the old adage of 'familiarity breeds contempt' - that no matter what we'd been given in The Return, it would have been deemed as superior to the original.

Having said that, I have no problems with the premise of this thread, and even though I don't agree, I can fully understand why some might prefer The Return. Less fluff, more challenging - in essence, more Lynch. In my view, these are two different shows that have almost nothing in common, so of course plenty of people will prefer this one to the oldies' thing that even your grandparents spent time watching back when Norman Schwarzkopf Jr. was all the rage.