So is there anyone else who prefers The Return to the original?

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Nikki Grace
Roadhouse Member

So is there anyone else who prefers The Return to the original?

Post by Nikki Grace »

I'm not committing yet either way. I feel I'm weighting towards liking The Return more, but I need to revisit it in full and see how it works. Just thought I'd ask; I'd guess probably not given how negative the reaction is if you skim across the main threads here, but it would be interesting to see.
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Re: So is there anyone else who prefers The Return to the original?

Post by dronerstone »

I like both and while they're part of the same universe, I'd rather not compare the two.
Ashok
Great Northern Member

Post by Ashok »

Nikki Grace wrote:I'm not committing yet either way. I feel I'm weighting towards liking The Return more, but I need to revisit it in full and see how it works. Just thought I'd ask; I'd guess probably not given how negative the reaction is if you skim across the main threads here, but it would be interesting to see.
I think the negative reaction is coming from a vocal minority. Everybody I know in real life who watched The Return LOVED it and critical reception seemed quite positive as well. I really like the original series but may have to give a slight edge to Season 3. I definitely feel (unlike most revivals these days) that Season 3 was every bit as much Twin Peaks in its purest form as the original episodes.
"Whatever happened, happened." -Daniel Faraday
Novalis
RR Diner Member

Post by Novalis »

I find the two things strangely incomparable, despite them being part of the same continuity.

If you forced me at gunpoint to decide, I'd probably pick The Return over the original, if only because it is fresh out of the oven.
As a matter of fact, 'Chalfont' was the name of the people that rented this space before. Two Chalfonts. Weird, huh?
DirkG
RR Diner Member

Post by DirkG »

dronerstone wrote:I like both and while they're part of the same universe, I'd rather not compare the two.
Absolutely this. They are good for very different reasons. Personally I consider Season 1 to be sublime. But the specific way and manner TR is good in, the original show is not.
Deep Thought
RR Diner Member

Post by Deep Thought »

Novalis wrote:I find the two things strangely incomparable, despite them being part of the same continuity.

If you forced me at gunpoint to decide, I'd probably pick The Return over the original, if only because it is fresh out of the oven.
You've expressed my own sentiments perfectly, so I'll just plagiarize you. :D
There's your roast beef and cheese.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

dronerstone wrote:I like both and while they're part of the same universe, I'd rather not compare the two.
Agreed.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
DamnFineCreamedCorn
Roadhouse Member

Post by DamnFineCreamedCorn »

I'm grateful of course for all of it, but I prefer The Return. It was just what I wanted, even if everything about it was a surprise. I feel like I will be living with it for the rest of my life, and it will continue to challenge and reward.
I've already gone places. I just want to stay where I am.
Low Entropy
Roadhouse Member

Post by Low Entropy »

I prefer The Return by a thousand. The original series was Lynch tied into network television. The Return is both Lynch unleashed and Lynch matured.
Tailsun
Roadhouse Member

Post by Tailsun »

I love the original series with all my heart but I think I prefer The Return as a "complete work," warts and all.

One aspect of TR that doesn't get the recognition it deserves is its sense of humor. I'll admit that it's bone dry most of the time and occasionally irony drenched or even a bit mean spirited. But this thing got genuine howls of laughter out of me like no other show (or film) in recent memory.

I wouldn't fault anyone for being put off by the multiple drastic tonal shifts even within a single episode, but its ability to go from genuine excitement and horror, to total absurdity, and then back again really struck a chord with me. Masterfully done in my opinion. And if it wasn't intentional (which is an idea I would entertain), then I thank whatever stars had to align to make it happen.

So many scenes are absolutely perfect, subtle comedy. And sometimes it turns your expectations into a punchline, allowing you laugh at yourself and the insane, surreal improbability of the whole thing. I think these moments came across as alienating or even malicious for some viewers (which is fair enough), but I pretty strongly disagree with that angle.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Both have touched me deeply in very unique ways. Though I did make a poll thread to force users to choose (and voted TPTR there), when speaking in terms of art reflection; I find it very hard to compare such works to each other. There's really no telling which one I'd prefer. There's no way The Return could have done what the original did for me, and vice versa.

Same goes for FWWM vs the rest.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

It's a bit hard to compare- TP:TR is all Lynch directed and was written as one long 18 hour movie, so that gives it the advantage. On the other hand, the original series had more Ray Wise :-).
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
riesje
Roadhouse Member

Post by riesje »

The Return in a heartbeat, its a much more focussed piece of work then the original (and especially season 2).
Firewalkwithme91
Roadhouse Member

Post by Firewalkwithme91 »

I like the Return considerably more. Both incarnations are hard to compare though because the latter obviously wouldn´t exist with the foundation of the original show. But I think Lynch and Frost expanded upon their original vision and simply made everything better.
tresojos
Roadhouse Member

Post by tresojos »

i revoke this thread
donna madonna mañana fofana osama bin laden hayward