Works That Influenced Twin Peaks: The Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mandrake

Re: Works That Influenced Twin Peaks: The Return

Post by Mandrake »

The work that TP:TR reminded me of more than anything else was David Foster Wallace's "minimalist" novel 'Infinite Jest'. Has anyone read it? It is probably my favourite novel although it's style and content would not be for everyone. It's an exploration of a disintegrating America shot through with surrealism, shocking violence and dark humour, with the only hope being in the compassionate acts of a few individuals. No idea if Lynch or Frost ever read it but Foster Wallace wrote one of the best articles about Lynch on the set of 'Lost Highway'. Also I just finished watching the humongous German series 'Berlin Alexanderplatz', directed with Rainer Werner Fassbinder. The last episode plays like a psychedelic mental breakdown, with footage of atomic bombs, angels, a murder in a forest and an ending in which the dying anti-hero seems to be placed in a time loop in which he is destined to repeat the suffering he experienced and inflicted before...hmmm!
Mandrake

Post by Mandrake »

By "minimalist" I wasn't trying to be sarcastic...I actually tried to write "maximalist", which is much closer to describing the style of all the works I was comparing.
Kinbote

Post by Kinbote »

Another Twilight Zone episode that comes to mind is "Spur of the Moment." I don't want to give the plot away if you haven't seen it, but I will say that someone meets someone again, 25 years later.
Fred
Roadhouse Member

Post by Fred »

Saturn's child wrote: There are also a couple of scenes -- Naido walking while feeling the wall (part 3) & Coop leading Laura (parts 17/18) -- that immediately reminded me of Jean Cocteau's Orphee (/Orpheus). There are also broader thematic connections, backwards scenes, mirrors, classical Greek statuary (/natuary), etc.
Yes, very similar to Jean Cocteau. Also, his films: "The Blood of a Poet" and "The Testament of Orpheus".
trismegistus
Roadhouse Member

Post by trismegistus »

Herman Hesse's Steppenwolf (1974)

Trust me on this.

The film was directed by Fred Haines who also cowrote the screenplay for Joseph Frick's Ulysses.

https://youtu.be/YwDGVP1tMTg[/youtube]

https://youtu.be/YQ8xjVASGX8[/youtube]