An apologia for Sarah

Moderators: Annie, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne, Brad D

User avatar
Mr. Reindeer
Posts: 1487
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:09 pm

Re: An apologia for Sarah

Postby Mr. Reindeer » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:56 pm

Framed_Angel wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:What is BTW? Sorry I see others recognize it but I'm out of that loop. "Between Two WOrlds"? a documentary maybe?


Yep, Between Two Worlds! It's a feature on the Entire Mystery Blu Ray. DKL interviews each member of the Palmer family in character on their lives since the end of the original show, then more informally chats with the actors out of character. It's phenomenal, especially Sarah's, and perhaps helps bridge the gap very slightly to her S3 storyline (in an ambiguous way).
douglasb
Posts: 237
Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 1:51 pm
Location: Exiled in England
Contact:

Re: An apologia for Sarah

Postby douglasb » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:54 pm

I suppose asking why Sarah hasn't been arrested for killing a guy is just me not accepting S3's radical re-writing the rules of narrative. Then she could be in the cells when BadCoop came to town and, well, imagine the theories!
User avatar
N. Needleman
Posts: 1641
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:39 pm

Re: An apologia for Sarah

Postby N. Needleman » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:14 am

douglasb wrote:I suppose asking why Sarah hasn't been arrested for killing a guy is just me not accepting S3's radical re-writing the rules of narrative. Then she could be in the cells when BadCoop came to town and, well, imagine the theories!


No one saw her kill the guy.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
User avatar
mtwentz
Posts: 1361
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:02 am

Re: An apologia for Sarah

Postby mtwentz » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:07 am

N. Needleman wrote:I think what's going on with Sarah is pretty straightforward, myself - she is the host for Judy. Eye of the beholder, etc.


Possibly but I feel since FWWM that this idea of 'inhabiting spirits' has not been emphasized very much at all (at least in the sense that the 'host' is the innocent victim).
claaa7
Posts: 638
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:47 am

Re: An apologia for Sarah

Postby claaa7 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:54 pm

mtwentz wrote:
N. Needleman wrote:I think what's going on with Sarah is pretty straightforward, myself - she is the host for Judy. Eye of the beholder, etc.


Possibly but I feel since FWWM that this idea of 'inhabiting spirits' has not been emphasized very much at all (at least in the sense that the 'host' is the innocent victim).


I think the trucker/bartender scene made it clear she wasnt an innocent victim who didnt know what she had done
writersblock
Posts: 113
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:03 am

Re: An apologia for Sarah

Postby writersblock » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:50 am

Personally my theory is that Sarah, after the death of Laura and Maddie, and finding out that her husband was the perpetrator of these acts (even if he was under the influence of Bob), left her with absolutely nothing. She became reclusive and found solace in alcohol and cigarettes and not much else.

And she let the darkness in to numb her - kind of like what Leland described when he let Bob inside him.

I don't think she is particularly conscious of it. She's mostly just numbed Sarah - probably thinking the alcohol is doing it's job. But there is something inside her - that comes out from time to time.

We see it in the bar and we see it lashing out at the picture of Laura. Whether that is the catalyst that takes Laura from Cooper at the end of Episode 17 - I don't know, however.

That's my take
User avatar
Mace
Posts: 74
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:25 am

Re: An apologia for Sarah

Postby Mace » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:25 am

I was hoping to see Sarah get a visit from Beth. But upon second thought Beth may still be struggling with the anger and grief related to Madeline's death at the hands of Uncle Leland. I'm sure there were some hard feelings between Sarah and Beth to say the least.
User avatar
PandemoniumSeesaw
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:34 am

Re: An apologia for Sarah

Postby PandemoniumSeesaw » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:09 am

writersblock wrote:Personally my theory is that Sarah, after the death of Laura and Maddie, and finding out that her husband was the perpetrator of these acts (even if he was under the influence of Bob), left her with absolutely nothing. She became reclusive and found solace in alcohol and cigarettes and not much else.

And she let the darkness in to numb her - kind of like what Leland described when he let Bob inside him.

I don't think she is particularly conscious of it. She's mostly just numbed Sarah - probably thinking the alcohol is doing it's job. But there is something inside her - that comes out from time to time.

We see it in the bar and we see it lashing out at the picture of Laura. Whether that is the catalyst that takes Laura from Cooper at the end of Episode 17 - I don't know, however.

That's my take


I fully agree on your take on Sarah, but I do not think her trying to smash Laura's picture is the cause of Laura disappearing from Cooper. I believe that Laura disappears from Cooper because "the past dictates the future", hence if Laura doesn't meet her fate that night then Cooper never goes to Twin Peaks, then Laura is never in the lodge, then Cooper never can save her (notice how Laura's scream that we hear when she disappears is the same we hear when she is sucked out of the lodge, I believe those two events happen at the same time).
I actually think that Sarah smashing Laura's picture is very related to Cooper trying to rescue Laura: she wants to remove her painful memories but they cannot be removed, as Cooper wants to undo her being killed but that is not possible as well.
User avatar
ThumbsUp
Posts: 280
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:05 pm

Re: An apologia for Sarah

Postby ThumbsUp » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:34 am


Return to “Season 3 (2017) The Return (Spoilers)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests