Cooper like Jeffries?

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

PandemoniumSeesaw

Cooper like Jeffries?

Post by PandemoniumSeesaw »

What I have often thought about Jeffries in FWWM (missing pieces included) is that he is someone that actually went beyond the threshold and is now lost in time and space. For a human mind this is an unbearable experience and that is why Jeffries looks lost and can't even find the words to express himself ("I want to tell you everything but I don't have a lot to go on"). Subsequently in FWWM we see a monkey whispering "Judy" and I interpret that as being Jeffries who is gradually losing his human nature and receding to a more primordial state.
To some extent this is also reinforced by him being a kind of machinery in S3.
One of the few things Jeffries manages to communicate is that "we live inside a dream", the same thing Cooper says after BOB is defeated.
After that, we se Cooper going back in time and trying to save Laura. And then again, Cooper with a different identity still trying to rescue Laura in an entirely different time and space.
I wouldn't be surprised if the next (offscreen) scene were Cooper appearing in the FBI headquarters confusedly saying that he "found something, in Odessa, at Judy's" and that "we live inside a dream!" and helplessly trying to convey his confusion to Gordon and Albert before disappearing and getting lost in time and space again.
DoppelBocker
Roadhouse Member

Re: Cooper like Jeffries?

Post by DoppelBocker »

Good detective work.

I thought the same thing about a week after the finale aired as sort of a what if season 4 never happens how can Cooper be imagined living out the rest of his life? He certainly blipped around after his dreamer face appeared at the Sherriff's station to give the impression he might find it troublesome to become fully grounded in reality living out his life again uninterrupted.

If a Season 4 will happen Lynch may try and prod him out of this fate similar to how he pushed him out of the ultimate fate suffered at the end of S2. Even then, I kind of see some sort of passing into the beyond leaving it to the audience to decide if he's become permanently lost or moved onto a higher plane of being once and if S4 finishes.
PandemoniumSeesaw

Post by PandemoniumSeesaw »

Unfortunately, I am not very hopeful of an S4 actually happening, but I think the same. Again, like after S2, we find Cooper in a state we cannot fully comprehend and we want him to be rescued some way, also, in the case of S3 we have doubts even on Laura's fate.
Mr. Jackpots
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Jackpots »

I am also on board with this kind of thinking when considering the existence or non-existence of Cooper and Jefferies.

It can be noted that I belive Chester Desmond has also found himself on this path.

But of course all these folks only live inside a dream. And where their "real" versions and "dream" versions begin and end is certainly up for debate.
ThumbsUp
RR Diner Member

Post by ThumbsUp »

Yeah, I think Coop is gone for good. Outside the Palmer house he makes that "door knob turning" gesture he made with such confidence earlier in the Lodge to open the curtains and bounce between realities, and you could tell he was having an "oh crap" moment after the Carrie Page thing didn't unfold like he obviously hoped.

When he makes that gesture outside the Palmer house, and then has the sobering realisation and says "what year is this?" it reminded me of a feeling you might get if you think you're in a dream or nightmare, and you try to will your mind into resetting the situation, or pinch yourself to wake up - but then it washes over you like freezing ice water: you are awake, this is real, there is nowhere to go and nothing you can do. Extremely unsettling.