Lynch sets record straight on Bowie dub

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Rik Renault
Roadhouse Member

Lynch sets record straight on Bowie dub

Post by Rik Renault »

https://pitchfork.com/thepitch/david-ly ... win-peaks/

"We got permission to use the old footage, but he didn’t want his voice used in it. I think someone must have made him feel bad about his Louisiana accent in Fire Walk With Me, but I think it’s so beautiful. He wanted to have it done by a legitimate actor from Louisiana, so that’s what we had to do. The guy [voice actor Nathan Frizzell] did a great job."

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Re: Lynch sets record straight on Bowie dub

Post by mtwentz »

Rik Renault wrote:https://pitchfork.com/thepitch/david-ly ... win-peaks/

"We got permission to use the old footage, but he didn’t want his voice used in it. I think someone must have made him feel bad about his Louisiana accent in Fire Walk With Me, but I think it’s so beautiful. He wanted to have it done by a legitimate actor from Louisiana, so that’s what we had to do. The guy [voice actor Nathan Frizzell] did a great job."

Well, they would have needed a new voice actor for the new scenes anyway, so in a way it makes sense to overdub the FWWM scenes too.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
trismegistus
Roadhouse Member

Post by trismegistus »

mtwentz wrote:
Rik Renault wrote:https://pitchfork.com/thepitch/david-ly ... win-peaks/

Well, they would have needed a new voice actor for the new scenes anyway, so in a way it makes sense to overdub the FWWM scenes too.
Unless it was never intended to have Jefferies on screen. I see no reason Bowie couldn't have gone in to record dialogue even if he was sick. It all could have been knocked out in a day. And Bowie even recorded private demos within the last month of his life according to Tony Visconti. I really believe he just didn't want his voice to be in there like Lynch stated.
BGate
RR Diner Member

Post by BGate »

is this the first time we've heard that he was doing a Louisiana accent?
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

BGate wrote:is this the first time we've heard that he was doing a Louisiana accent?
That caught my eye too haha. Definitely not what I got from it.
AgentEcho
RR Diner Member

Post by AgentEcho »

Bowie's accent was not authentic obviously, but it wasn't meant to be. I mean you don't hire David Bowie and ask him to speak in a Southern accent for authenticity. It's too bad he felt bad about it (if that was the case). I wonder if he thought hiring an actor from Louisiana would make it more authentic? The end result was an actor from Louisiana imitating an inauthentic Louisiana accent.