TP:TR. Full 18-hour experience

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Re: TP:TR. Full 18-hour experience

Post by yaxomoxay »

Soolsma wrote:Yaxomoxay, can I convince you to squeeze in watching the "Between Two Worlds" featurette from the Entire Mystery DVD, just before watching S3. clickClick!
Good suggestion! I never watched it. I added it to the list.
I have to ask though, are you deliberately not watching season 2?
It's mainly a matter of available time; I don't think I'll be able to watch S2. However, if I am able to free some time I'll try to squeeze in a few crucial episodes from S2. On a related note, about a year ago I watched all S1 and S2 within a month.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

yaxomoxay wrote:It's mainly a matter of available time; I don't think I'll be able to watch S2. However, if I am able to free some time I'll try to squeeze in a few crucial episodes from S2. On a related note, about a year ago I watched all S1 and S2 within a month.
In an ideal world, my preferred method of watching the original series is one episode a day, following Cooper’s month-long journey with him in “real time.” Extra awesome to do on the actual dates of the show (beginning on 2/24). I’m thinking I’ll try to do this again in 2023, the next opportunity when the days of the week match up to the 1989 calendar. (TP was never much for mentioning the days of the week, but I can think of at least a few episodes where it comes up.)
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

yaxomoxay wrote:My second 18-hour long marathon of the entire TPTR is scheduled for Saturday July 6th, 2019.

Preparation:
[X] Watch Twin Peaks - International Pilot. Done.
[ ] Watch TP S1. In progress.
[X] Watch Fire Walk With Me fanedit with MP inserted into the movie. Done.
[ ] Read The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer. In progress.
[X] Listen to the Cooper audiotapes. Done.
[ ] Read Agent Cooper's Autobiography. Book ordered.
[ ] Read TSHOTP.
[ ] Read The Final Dossier.
[ ] Watch Between Two Worlds" featurette from the Entire Mystery DVD.
[X] Order Douglas Fir scented candle. Done.
[X] Order Organic Douglas Fir tea. Done.

More to come.
You're back!
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

mtwentz wrote: You're back!
Oh no, I am the much better looking doppelganger :)
All joking aside, yes I am back. For the record, I never stopped thinking about TP. Every. Single. Day. I also lurked a bit without logging in.
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

Done.
Amazing, just amazing. To be honest, this time was even better than two years ago.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

yaxomoxay wrote:Done.
Amazing, just amazing. To be honest, this time was even better than two years ago.
Did you watch it with the family again? Any particular new insights/interpretations?
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

mtwentz wrote:
yaxomoxay wrote:Done.
Did you watch it with the family again? Any particular new insights/interpretations?
Family is in europe to visit relatives, so I watched it with a friend of mine who also loved TP.

I’d say that I am more and more convinced that Earle killed the body of Dale Cooper in the Lodge. What we see in TPTR is the soul of Dale having to deal with his bardo’s, where he tries to fix his karma. That doesn’t make things less real, as reality is a dream, but it makes them prone to spirituality so to speak.
I believe that Jeffries has reached the level of yogi, so he’s sort of a superior mind/being, and I think that he tricks both Mr C and Cooper as he needs to “eliminate” both of them in order to rebalance everything after Dale’s bad incarnated karma (the doppelgänger). Cooper is unaware of the plan because Jeffies needs Laura’s bad karma liberated (knowledge of the previous life). One thing that leads me to believe that Jeffries tricked both of them is Naido. When Cooper awakens he is very assertive, he has a clear plan (he even said so to Gordon before disappearing), he knows Freddie whom he never met before, and he even explains to everyone that things are going to change. However, when he sees Naido he’s clearly surprised, we start to see his face superimposed, and he seems a bit lost (he yells “Gordon!” almost in fear). I think that at 2:53 (10) he realizes that *he* is completed, that he has to accept death, and that Diane and Gordon (his previous life) can only go with him up to a certain point. Then his soul has to embrace “death” by closing the door behind him and be sailed to his next life (“chants within two worlds”). Jeffries, being Cooper’s yogi, simply asks him what he wants in order to get rid of the last trace of karma from his previous life (without telling him that he can’t actually do that).
When he wakes up as Richard, he’s at the last step, together with Carrie/Laura. They go hand in hand toward the total destruction of what was their previous life (which was badly affected by Judy, or evil). Hand in hand they face the unknown (homeowner), and hand in hand (but alone) they have face the last step, the total destruction of the world they once knew but that it’s now forever changed by the passing of time and the ever present movement of the events.
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

yaxomoxay wrote:I’d say that I am more and more convinced that Earle killed the body of Dale Cooper in the Lodge.
You think that the ep,29 stabbing is a new wound? I always assumed that it was just a devilish replay of the Philadelphia incident (which is what Cooper sees when he turns the corner in the red room). Also, if Dale Cooper is actually dead there is also those four gunshots at the end of season one to consider.

It is a well thought out theory - and it certainly fits with the working title of "Dead Man's Journey", but it contradicts everything Mark Frost has said and written since that early point of season 3 development.
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

eyeboogers wrote:
yaxomoxay wrote:I’d say that I am more and more convinced that Earle killed the body of Dale Cooper in the Lodge.
You think that the ep,29 stabbing is a new wound? I always assumed that it was just a devilish replay of the Philadelphia incident (which is what Cooper sees when he turns the corner in the red room). Also, if Dale Cooper is actually dead there is also those four gunshots at the end of season one to consider.

It is a well thought out theory - and it certainly fits with the working title of "Dead Man's Journey", but it contradicts everything Mark Frost has said and written since that early point of season 3 development.
I am not sure if the stab was symbolic, literal, or as you say a reminder of Philadelphia. I am more inclined to think that it was a combination of factors, including the fact that Coop’s courage was not so perfect. He also basically gave up his life for Annie, in my opinion both in spiritual and physical sense.
The gunshot wounds were explained by the bulletproof vest, I don’t really buy the theory that he died there but I think that he had a first close encounter with death which clarified his dharma to him (similar to how many people change their behavior completely after a serious injury or illness).

As for MF, I don’t think that there is much contradiction because we’re talking about different planes of existence and different realities so to speak. MF writes about one point of view among the many. If you come from the idea that the soul is immortal, it is true that Cooper never died. But that doesn’t mean that Cooper is alive as we knew him. This is even truer if you come from the reincarnation and dream perspectives. Heck, in Vedic philosophy you can even create a planet!
kitty666cats
RR Diner Member

Post by kitty666cats »

mtwentz wrote:
yaxomoxay wrote:My second 18-hour long marathon of the entire TPTR is scheduled for Saturday July 6th, 2019.

Preparation:
[X] Watch Twin Peaks - International Pilot. Done.
[ ] Watch TP S1. In progress.
[X] Watch Fire Walk With Me fanedit with MP inserted into the movie. Done.
[ ] Read The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer. In progress.
[X] Listen to the Cooper audiotapes. Done.
[ ] Read Agent Cooper's Autobiography. Book ordered.
[ ] Read TSHOTP.
[ ] Read The Final Dossier.
[ ] Watch Between Two Worlds" featurette from the Entire Mystery DVD.
[X] Order Douglas Fir scented candle. Done.
[X] Order Organic Douglas Fir tea. Done.

More to come.
You're back!

I forget if I've ranted and raved about this on Dugpa before, but during constant rewatches of S1 and S2 prior to The Return, I would always light up a stick of this incense before sitting down to watch. The "wood-y" scent really added to the experience for me. So - 1: I like your style! Scent is quite the sense, can really elevate the atmosphere! 2: If you're looking to try another one, look into the stuff in the picture above :)