TP:TR. Full 18-hour experience

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Re: TP:TR. Full 18-hour experience

Post by Agent Earle »

TwistedFate_L4 wrote:Though the second half of season 2 is still shit...Anyone who says that's better than The Return definitely needs to spend an eternity re-watching it.
Count me in! If by re-watching you mean the latter part of season 2, that is. I wouldn't re-watch The Return if my life depended on it, though - probably not for a decade or two, if ever.
TwistedFate_L4
Roadhouse Member

Post by TwistedFate_L4 »

Agent Earle wrote:
TwistedFate_L4 wrote:Though the second half of season 2 is still shit...Anyone who says that's better than The Return definitely needs to spend an eternity re-watching it.
Count me in! If by re-watching you mean the latter part of season 2, that is. I wouldn't re-watch The Return if my life depended on it, though - probably not for a decade or two, if ever.
I said the same thing. But not everyone is open minded enough to simply give things a second chance. No problem.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

TwistedFate_L4 wrote:So I finally did it! I just finished watching my mega-marathon that included Seasons 1+2, Fire Walk With Me + The Missing Pieces, and of course "The Return", which took me five or six days but I finally got through all of it.
Thanks for reporting! I'm glad you had a good experience, and I'm very happy to hear it all fit together nicely.
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

TwistedFate_L4 wrote:
Agent Earle wrote:
I said the same thing. But not everyone is open minded enough to simply give things a second chance. No problem.
If he doesn’t like it, he doesn’t like it. It’s an 18 hour long commitment, plus analysis time. I wouldn’t spend extra time on it if I didn’t like it to be honest. I am quite merciless because I consider Time quite valuable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TwistedFate_L4
Roadhouse Member

Post by TwistedFate_L4 »

yaxomoxay wrote:
TwistedFate_L4 wrote:
Agent Earle wrote:
If he doesn’t like it, he doesn’t like it. It’s an 18 hour long commitment, plus analysis time. I wouldn’t spend extra time on it if I didn’t like it to be honest. I am quite merciless because I consider Time quite valuable.

He was responding to me and decided to share with me how much he hated it and wouldn't watch it again and I replied . I didn't go out of my way to tell him to commit to watching the show again -I was simply sharing (in response to him addressing me) why *I* decided to give it another shot and why I believed it deserved another shot from someone who hated it originally. Rather he does or doesn't- I couldn't care less. I was just responding to a comment addressed to me. So as I previously said, no problem. Not a big deal.
LateReg wrote:
TwistedFate_L4 wrote:So I finally did it! I just finished watching my mega-marathon that included Seasons 1+2, Fire Walk With Me + The Missing Pieces, and of course "The Return", which took me five or six days but I finally got through all of it.
Thanks for reporting! I'm glad you had a good experience, and I'm very happy to hear it all fit together nicely.
I am extremely surprised by what a great experience I had and I'm very thrilled considering my original thoughts just a few months ago! Haha.
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

TwistedFate_L4 wrote:
yaxomoxay wrote:
TwistedFate_L4 wrote:

He was responding to me and decided to share with me how much he hated it and wouldn't watch it again and I replied . I didn't go out of my to tell him to commit to watching the show again -I was simply sharing why *I* decided to give it another shot and why I believed it deserved another shot from someone who hated it originally(me). Rather he does or doesn't- I couldn't care less. So as I previously said, no problem. Not a big deal.
LateReg wrote:
I am extremely surprised by what a great experience I had and I'm very thrilled considering my original thoughts just a few months ago! Haha.
I understand how it went, I just disagree that it’s a matter of being open minded (or not). Sticking up with something you don’t like for 18 hours is open minded enough in my opinion. As you say, no biggie.

TwistedFate_L4
Roadhouse Member

Post by TwistedFate_L4 »

yaxomoxay wrote:
TwistedFate_L4 wrote:
yaxomoxay wrote:

He was responding to me and decided to share with me how much he hated it and wouldn't watch it again and I replied . I didn't go out of my to tell him to commit to watching the show again -I was simply sharing why *I* decided to give it another shot and why I believed it deserved another shot from someone who hated it originally(me). Rather he does or doesn't- I couldn't care less. So as I previously said, no problem. Not a big deal.
LateReg wrote:
I understand how it went, I just disagree that it’s a matter of being open minded (or not). Sticking up with something you don’t like for 18 hours is open minded enough in my opinion. As you say, no biggie.

"Open minded" was in reference to myself largely and others like me who may have watched it with a closed mind- If that's not him or you- that's fine. If it doesn't apply, let it fly. I had to allow myself to be open minded. This post was about me and my experience- I don't care about what he decides to do or does not do. So, hopefully that clears up any disagreement.
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

TwistedFate_L4 wrote:
yaxomoxay wrote:
TwistedFate_L4 wrote:

"Open minded" was in reference to myself largely and others like me who may have watched it with a closed mind- If that's not him or you- that's fine. If it doesn't apply, let it fly. I had to allow myself to be open minded. This post was about me and my experience- I don't care about what he decides to do or does not do. So, hopefully that clears up any disagreement.
Understood.
The implication of what you’re saying is that those who are not behaving like you are not open minded. I am not saying that you wanted to insult him (you clearly didn’t want to), but it’s an easy conclusion to draw from the “not everyone is open minded enough” of yours.

TwistedFate_L4
Roadhouse Member

Post by TwistedFate_L4 »

yaxomoxay wrote:
TwistedFate_L4 wrote:
yaxomoxay wrote:

Understood.
The implication of what you’re saying is that those who are not behaving like you are not open minded. I am not saying that you wanted to insult him (you clearly didn’t want to), but it’s an easy conclusion to draw from the “not everyone is open minded enough” of yours.

Fair enough.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

yaxomoxay wrote:
TwistedFate_L4 wrote:
yaxomoxay wrote:

LateReg wrote:

I just think it depends on the type of person you are. You talk about valuing time...fine and good. But the type of person I am, I value time as well as art, which I assume most of us do, and I don't want to miss anything. So for me that means that if a true artist makes something that a lot of people are saying is great, but I didn't get it, I ALWAYS am eager to dive back in. I think we owe that to art, and especially to challenging works of art, which time and time again have proven to get better with age, to reveal themselves over time, to feel less and less alien over time. That's my personality, though. That's how I look at things. For me it's a respect thing...but it's a respect thing because of how much I respect an artist, especially one whose work clearly needs multiple viewings to come to terms with. It is a task and not everybody is up for it, and sticking with it once, as you say, is something. But - and once again, this is just me, though I'd lying if I said I didn't think it was the correct way to go about life, lol - I do feel that something this colossally ambitious and unique and expectation-defying and praised not only deserves but demands a second look. I simply have never rested after disliking something that others have liked; I've always doubled down and dug deeper. Again, that's just me. I understand that very few others - people with lives and wives and kids and other interests beyond film - may have obvious reasons to feel differently.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

TwistedFate_L4 wrote:
yaxomoxay wrote:
TwistedFate_L4 wrote:
Understood.

Fair enough.

Yeah, fair enough. S'all good, guys. :)
Glad there's some of you who retrospectively don't feel The Return's been a giant waste of time and effort (on viewers' part), even though you felt that way a few months ago. As I'm glad there's those who've been The Return's fans from the start and are willing to drop a kind word on behalf of those (of us) who continue to feel they've been burned by it (I mean you in the present case, yaxomoxay). And I'm glad I still have my beloved S 2 no matter what, warts 'n' all. :D
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Oh, and LateReg, I don't have kids nor what the mainstream majority would consider much of a "life" - books, movies, TV and videogames are my life, or, if you'd rather, the reason why I enjoy my life and am perfectly content and wouldn't have it any other way. So I'm willing to waste hours on end on multiple repeated viewings, readings and dozens of "meaningless" musings and discussions about it all - and this goes for the stuff I think it's amazing (obviously) as well as the stuff I find, let's say, difficult and not to my tastes in general. Twin Peaks, though, is something different, simply because the old one was on my personal pedestal of Art for so long and so I feel the new one sucked - or tried to suck - the soul out of it. Hence, I don't want to have anything to do with it until I cool off and am able to approach it from the emotional distance - which, the way I feel now, will take a very, very long time.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Agent Earle wrote:Oh, and LateReg, I don't have kids nor what the mainstream majority would consider much of a "life" - books, movies, TV and videogames are my life, or, if you'd rather, the reason why I enjoy my life and am perfectly content and wouldn't have it any other way. So I'm willing to waste hours on end on multiple repeated viewings, readings and dozens of "meaningless" musings and discussions about it all - and this goes for the stuff I think it's amazing (obviously) as well as the stuff I find, let's say, difficult and not to my tastes in general. Twin Peaks, though, is something different, simply because the old one was on my personal pedestal of Art for so long and so I feel the new one sucked - or tried to suck - the soul out of it. Hence, I don't want to have anything to do with it until I cool off and am able to approach it from the emotional distance - which, the way I feel now, will take a very, very long time.
Good to know!

So...maybe tomorrow you'll restart The Return? Or Saturday? :)
BGate
RR Diner Member

Post by BGate »

Anyway...

it appears that the MOMA screenings will be DCPS and not just the blu-rays projected, which is great news for the people going and for potential screenings elsewhere in the future.
richsmith
Roadhouse Member

Post by richsmith »

Watching Episode 8, and to a lesser extent 11, on the big screen at MOMA among an almost-full house of Lynch aficionados was one of the more fun screening experiences in recent memory. The image quality of this series, when projected in DCP, is utterly stunning. And so far the experience of watching the first 11 episodes back to back, revisiting most of them for the first time, has made me appreciate the series so much more. Even the lesser episodes, such as 9 and 10, are a lot more interesting than I thought on first viewing, and what is surprising to me watching now, knowing exactly where the series is going, is just how completely in control Lynch is at every moment. Going back today for parts 12-18, and cannot wait for how that last hour is going to look.