3%
Julee Cruise
3%

Total votes: 100
Taperecorder
Roadhouse Member

Re: Poll: Worst Roadhouse performance

Post by Taperecorder »

pixletwin wrote:Man... you guys are breaking my heart. The Sharon van Etten song is my favorite of the whole season.
Mine too. Almost tied with the Cactus Blossoms.
-
As above, so below.
-
SpookyDollhouse
RR Diner Member

Post by SpookyDollhouse »

I don't even remember the Lissie song. Blank as a fart!
Taperecorder
Roadhouse Member

Post by Taperecorder »

I had to vote Lissie because the poll was for worst performance. Her lip-syncing and on stage acting was terrible. If the poll was for worst song I would have probably went for the second Au Revoir Simone song or the horribly auto-tuned Rebekah Del Rio song.

Also - why was Hudson Mohawke not listed in the poll?
-
As above, so below.
-
BOB1
RR Diner Member

Post by BOB1 »

eyeboogers wrote:I also wish the headline for this thread could be "Best Roadhouse Performance".
I think there is place for both here?

Anyway here's the thread you might be looking for, perhaps. It's probably more positive than negative. I have to say that while I don't spend much time at all thinking about The Return or craving to come back to it, I do like to listen to those Roadhouse performances every now and again. I liked them.
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB
MasterMastermind
RR Diner Member

Post by MasterMastermind »

I liked all the songs but I have to go with Lissie because she had the weakest lip-sync.
ThumbsUp
RR Diner Member

Post by ThumbsUp »

I liked all the songs and don't really mind that a lot of them didn't fit the mood of the original TP. New show, new vibe.
TheAlien
RR Diner Member

Post by TheAlien »

I actually really, really loved how much of an absurd and ironic contrast the Lizzie song was to the rest of the episode, I actually genuinely enjoyed it even though I'm not a fan of that type of music :shock: :D

To put it bluntly, that music made me hysterical that week after that episode, it was actually a great pick and probably the most memorable besides Julee Cruise for this reason.

As far as song quality goes, I'd probably vote the Nine Inch Nails song as the best. Otherwise none of the other songs stuck with me that much (and people don't include Penderecki's amazing "Threnody For The Victims Of Hiroshima" for some reason :( )
For I am I: ergo, the truth of myself; my own sphinx, conflict, chaos, vortex—asymmetric to all rhythms, oblique to all paths. I am the prism between black and white: mine own unison in duality.
― Austin Osman Spare
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

I voted Sharon Van Etten. The song was the least appropriate for the show. As far as the worst physical performance, that would be Del Rio. I was annoyed by her facial expressions throughout. The song was way overwrought, but it may be the one that pertains to this show the most. It talks about the idealized past being full of stars, but today it's "no stars". So too is the original show idealized, but this current one, perhaps intentionally, was completely absurd nothingness, no stars present.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
Johnsusername
Roadhouse Member

Post by Johnsusername »

I can't believe Lissie got the most votes - I thought it was great! And it's probably one of my most played songs from the soundtrack. It might be joyous but it's not vapid - it has substance. I think it also acts of a kind of palate cleanser for the end of that episode. Also (and I know you can do this for any song really) but the lyrics could reflect the journeys of Cooper and Laura...(especially Dougie Cooper stuck out in Vegas, over in the west!)

Are you out there
To take away my fear?
I haven't lost my hope
Even though I am so far from my home
I've been living my life on the edge
Slip and fall if I take one more step
There's safety in numbers, I guess
But I'm going rogue in the wild, wild west
Johnsusername
Roadhouse Member

Post by Johnsusername »

Oh and I also love Mississippi by the Cactus Blossoms. I must be way out of whack with what everyone is thinking haha. I like it just as a song,l i don't see any deeper meaning (although there is the obvious "going down to the sea" / Laura/Teresa/Maddie link).
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

All of the performances we're fine- The Chromatics song most perfectly nailed the themes of The Return and is also rates up there with Questions In A World of Blue, Falling, The World Spins and Under The Sycamores as my personal favorites. "No Stars" is an excellent song as well.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Johnsusername wrote:I can't believe Lissie got the most votes - I thought it was great! And it's probably one of my most played songs from the soundtrack. It might be joyous but it's not vapid - it has substance. I think it also acts of a kind of palate cleanser for the end of that episode. Also (and I know you can do this for any song really) but the lyrics could reflect the journeys of Cooper and Laura...(especially Dougie Cooper stuck out in Vegas, over in the west!)

Are you out there
To take away my fear?
I haven't lost my hope
Even though I am so far from my home
I've been living my life on the edge
Slip and fall if I take one more step
There's safety in numbers, I guess
But I'm going rogue in the wild, wild west
The rogue in the wild, wild west part blows my mind, actually, but there's also:

"There's a world where you can...
All that you lost you get back"

It doesn't get any more reflective of Coop's journey (and the way the show wrestles with nostalgia) than that!
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Apropos of nothing, in MLMT, Dale decides to pattern his life/personality/career after the 1960s TV show The FBI after rejecting other candidates Hawaii Five-0 and....The Wild Wild West.
NormoftheAndes
RR Diner Member

Post by NormoftheAndes »

Man oh man, this poll is ample proof that some Twin Peaks are quite conformist and tunnel-visioned in their viewpoints. Its just a handful of dimwits but Lissie has been voted for most why? Because her performance makes it obvious she is lip-syncing? Because its too pop-rock and kinda upbeat? Jeez Louise. Wild West fits season 3 damn well as some people above have been writing.

Some of the negative and dullard Peaks 'fans' here who just seem to want to bash season 3 here are real pains in the ass!
Teetotaling and prayer. Their hands touch yours and mine.
Mr. Strawberry
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Strawberry »

NormoftheAndes wrote:Man oh man, this poll is ample proof that some Twin Peaks are quite conformist and tunnel-visioned in their viewpoints. Its just a handful of dimwits but Lissie has been voted for most why? Because her performance makes it obvious she is lip-syncing? Because its too pop-rock and kinda upbeat? Jeez Louise. Wild West fits season 3 damn well as some people above have been writing.
Different strokes, that's really all it boils down to. Hey, while we're discussing the number of dimwits on the board, I believe that there are actually many more than just a handful of us.
NormoftheAndes wrote:Some of the negative and dullard Peaks 'fans' here who just seem to want to bash season 3 here are real pains in the ass!
A variety of opinions and perspectives on Season 3 is vastly more interesting and thought provoking than an echo chamber filled with unwavering devotion / steadfast disdain. By the way, if you view any expression of disheartened or unsatisfied reaction as "bashing", then you're already off to a biased start.