Eddie Vedder
3%
Julee Cruise
3%

Total votes: 100
a whole damn town

Re: Poll: Worst Roadhouse performance

Post by a whole damn town »

MysteryMan14 wrote:For me the worst was Sharon Van Etten and Im a little suprised that she has only two votes including mine. Her song was off for me and out of TP world. On the other side this one performed by Lassie was good for me.
Since the thread title isn't particularly specific, people might be judging the performances by different criteria. Sharon Van Etten's song was definitely my least favorite, but I voted for Lissie based on her on-screen performance.
I'm not just three men on a fishing trip.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

a whole damn town wrote: Since the thread title isn't particularly specific, people might be judging the performances by different criteria. Sharon Van Etten's song was definitely my least favorite, but I voted for Lissie based on her on-screen performance.
OP here. When it comes to "performance" I usually look at the song and the stage performance.
For instance, I wasn't crazy about the NIN song but I think they did a great performance on stage. My vote went to Cactus Blossoms, the song and their performance was pretty boring IMO.

But of course, we all have different criterias to judge and that's fine.
Aqwell
RR Diner Member

Post by Aqwell »

Why Audrey's Dance is not in the list? It was one of the most awkward moments of TPTR.
Poor Sherilyn Fenn, her character deserved better than that.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

Aqwell wrote:Why Audrey's Dance is not in the list? It was one of the most awkward moments of TPTR.
Poor Sherilyn Fenn, her character deserved better than that.
I wouldn't call the most awkward moment of TR (Bubble BOB still takes the cake) but the dance didn't work for me either.
Anyway, I was only considering the band performances.
pixletwin
Roadhouse Member

Post by pixletwin »

Hands down, NIN. Felt forced and out of place.
Trudy Chelgren
RR Diner Member

Post by Trudy Chelgren »

I'll take every opportunity to say it, but Au Revoir Simone. A gutless, trendily disinterested group without weight or substance.

The only act that was perfect for me, was the Chromatics. It was so beautiful. I like the Eddie Vedder song too, and it encapsulated the show's themes really well.

The self-referential material, like James and Julee Cruise and 'Audrey's Dance', I don't have a problem with. James' performance was interesting to me. He was still singing the same song, in the same way; like little had changed in his feelings for the past. But, he made his crush cry with it's poignancy. It's untouchable, and privately moving. It's also pathetic and inexcusable. I like what that scene says about James, and maybe how he sees Renee. The fact that he sung the song in public resonates too. What was he trying to say to everyone? 'Audrey's Dance', I read someone's post where they articulated this in a much better way, felt like that bottomed-out dread when you know you're dreaming. I thought that was amazing. Awkward and forced too, but it's discomfort was at the forefront of the scene. It was wrong. I liked 'The World Spins' enough, but it didn't resonate as heavily as the "I'm so sorry" scene. It was perfectly placed, but the initial shock of the song's sadness isn't there anymore. Maybe a new song could have closed that scene.
BOB1
RR Diner Member

Post by BOB1 »

I don't know how to vote here - for me by far FAR the worst Roadhouse sequence was the Julee Cruisse one. But it wasn't "the worst performance", it wasn't a performance at all, it was... what, a big middle finger to Julee and that's all I have to say about it.

The performance as such that I liked the least (performance, not scene) was either Sharon van Etten or the second Chromatics one (while the first was very nice).
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

MysteryMan14 wrote:For me the worst was Sharon Van Etten and Im a little suprised that she has only two votes including mine. Her song was off for me and out of TP world. On the other side this one performed by Lassie was good for me.
I’m in agreement; awful song/performance finishing an awful episode!
mickeyfickey
Roadhouse Member

Post by mickeyfickey »

Two people voted for The World Spins? Wow.
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

mickeyfickey wrote:Two people voted for The World Spins? Wow.
yeah i seriously can't understand the hate for Julee Cruise's performance either. i wonder if perhaps some people couldn't see it in anything but negative light after seeing Julee herself was not happy with it.

i just don't get it though, Julee cruise performed one of the classics from the original show, evoking one of the most poignant moments in all of Twin Peaks and the way she was faded in to from the woods as if she and the band exist as spirits in the woods within some kind of metaphysical space. it would have been a terrible idea to cut back to the Roadhouse with an establishing exterior, etc. it also didn't need to play for its entire 6 minutes although i agree that 2:30 was a bit on the "too short"-side. very happy with Julee's performance and cool to see her on stage with Chromatics.

case in point:

Mistertom
Roadhouse Member

Post by Mistertom »

Can’t believe Lissie is getting the most votes ! First off ... lynch has said many nice things about her and is a big fan. Secondly I’ve met Lissie a couple of times, been to 6 shows of hers.. she always plays the twin peaks theme in the house while we wait for her to come on she’s a huge fan of the show. Also she’s so down to earth , and really cares about her fans. . . So much so that she followed me on twitter and Instagram , and gave me her cell phone number Incase I ever needed help getting into a show of hers. She’s the real deal.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Mistertom wrote:Can’t believe Lissie is getting the most votes ! First off ... lynch has said many nice things about her and is a big fan. Secondly I’ve met Lissie a couple of times, been to 6 shows of hers.. she always plays the twin peaks theme in the house while we wait for her to come on she’s a huge fan of the show. Also she’s so down to earth , and really cares about her fans. . . So much so that she followed me on twitter and Instagram , and gave me her cell phone number Incase I ever needed help getting into a show of hers. She’s the real deal.
That’s super to hear. I just rewatched Part 14 and posted many thoughts in that thread. I closed out by saying that while I felt the song was way wrong for the show to begin with, I really love it now. It’s such a joyous scene, and you can tell she gives 100% in her live performances.
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

Mistertom wrote:Can’t believe Lissie is getting the most votes ! First off ... lynch has said many nice things about her and is a big fan. Secondly I’ve met Lissie a couple of times, been to 6 shows of hers.. she always plays the twin peaks theme in the house while we wait for her to come on she’s a huge fan of the show. Also she’s so down to earth , and really cares about her fans. . . So much so that she followed me on twitter and Instagram , and gave me her cell phone number Incase I ever needed help getting into a show of hers. She’s the real deal.
Lissie is the real deal - also the song is great. I really, really don't understand the outcome of this poll.
Mistertom
Roadhouse Member

Post by Mistertom »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
That’s super to hear. I just rewatched Part 14 and posted many thoughts in that thread. I closed out by saying that while I felt the song was way wrong for the show to begin with, I really love it now. It’s such a joyous scene, and you can tell she gives 100% in her live performances.
Honestly I was surprised they chose that song of hers to play. I was kind of thinking it would be “everywhere I go” , check it out if you liked the song she performed on twin peaks ! I agree it was an odd choice for the show. Highly recommend seeing her live in person if she comes your way sometime !
Mb3
RR Diner Member

Post by Mb3 »

I also voted for Au Revoir Simone even though I loved their second song (can't remember the name right now), Lark was my least favorite track and also performance of the Return.