Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Poll: Worst Roadhouse performance

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Re: Poll: Worst Roadhouse performance

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

This is tough. Lissie has really grown on me. The reuse of the Julee Cruise track pales in comparison to Episode 14, but that doesn't seem a great reason to rank it as the worst. I guess I'll pick Au Revoir Simone. Even though I like their latter song a lot, I'm not crazy about "Lark," and their cutesy eye-rolling/shoulder-shaking shtick is a tad cringey. Still and all, I really like all the performances, looking back at it.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

Y'all leave Au Revoir Simone alone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PsychoFox
Roadhouse Member

Post by PsychoFox »

I bet this poll will turn very quicky into another James-bashing discussion...
The Archivist
Roadhouse Member

Post by The Archivist »

The performance I enjoyed the least was 'Lark' from Au Revoir Simone... but I loved 'A Violent Yet flammable world', so I won't vote 'against' them.

I really enjoyed Lissie and I am surprised by so much hate towards her.

Special mention to 'Axolotl' by The Veils, the whole sequence was great.
Novalis
RR Diner Member

Post by Novalis »

I didn't mind any of the new acts, and loved some of them. I have to say I'm slightly surprised at how frequently Lissie is being voted worst -- it's actually one of my favourites, as is the NIN song.

In my eyes (ears) it had to be either James or Cruise, both of which felt shoehorned in as unreconstructed examples of why direct self-citation would never have worked for S3. I suppose that could well have been the intention; If they were intended as showcasing the inevitable failure of nostalgic logic, then they succeeded in their purpose -- but these would not have been my picks for that. If they were meant with sincerity, then I apologise for what might seem a somewhat indignant opinion, but these particular songs didn't work for me the first time and they certainly don't work now (James especially). There are much better tracks from the collection that would have fit better here.

The passage of time, as always, might affect these preferences.
As a matter of fact, 'Chalfont' was the name of the people that rented this space before. Two Chalfonts. Weird, huh?
BGate
RR Diner Member

Post by BGate »

I was so happy when the James scene first started on the initial viewing, but I'm not sure it really works for me. And the original is one of my favorite scenes in Twin Peaks.

Most disappointing was Julee Cruise, tbh. Not because it's bad, or it doesn't work in the scene, but I guess I had unrealistic expectations for what her appearance would be (like I actually held out hope that she, David and Angelo would have gotten together to write a new song). And the fact that you can barely see her, and it's not even really "in" the Roadhouse. Again, on it's own there's nothing wrong with it, but I made the mistake of having an expectation, which is something I managed to not do with pretty much anything else in The Return.
powerleftist
Roadhouse Member

Post by powerleftist »

I voted Lissie not because the song is bad, but because is too rock&rolly and cheerful for Twin Peaks. I like disturbing and/or dreamy songs in this show. Songs that scare you or give you peace or are mysterious and stylish. "Wild West" is too straightforward.
Mr. Jackpots
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Jackpots »

BGate wrote:I was so happy when the James scene first started on the initial viewing, but I'm not sure it really works for me. And the original is one of my favorite scenes in Twin Peaks.

Most disappointing was Julee Cruise, tbh. Not because it's bad, or it doesn't work in the scene, but I guess I had unrealistic expectations for what her appearance would be (like I actually held out hope that she, David and Angelo would have gotten together to write a new song). And the fact that you can barely see her, and it's not even really "in" the Roadhouse. Again, on it's own there's nothing wrong with it, but I made the mistake of having an expectation, which is something I managed to not do with pretty much anything else in The Return.
I had this issue with the Julee Cruise performance aswell. I was too psyched up for it, and was left feeling a little disappointed with it.

But I voted for the chromatics because they were even lamer.

I think Lissie was my favourite. Which seems to place me in the minority for this poll.

On a side note. I watched the latest star wars last week. Rogue One. And my expectations were so low that I actually wound up enjoying it immensely.
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

this is a tough one for me because although i didn't care much for a few of the songs performed they all have grown a lot on me via the soundtrack. as part of the show i didn't care too much for The Cactus Blossoms, Au Revoir Simone and Lissie. they all felt tacked on in my opinion and didn't jive with the rest of the episode. especially compared to the performances by Chromatics ("Shadows"), Trouble, Nine Inch Nails, Rebekah Del Rio and Julee Cruise.

"The World Spins" worked wonders for me, i thought it was incorporated just right and blended in with the tone and atmosphere of the episode preceding it just right.. the song has mystical and etheral qualities and fading in to the performance from the woods (the woods hold many spirits which is alluded to so many times in The Return) and only showing the stage without an audience and kind of hidden in shadows really added to how poignant that ending was. i think a lot of that vibe would've been ruined had it cut from the woods to the announcer at the Roadhouse before kicking off Julee's performance intercut with shots of the crowd swaying side to side. just thinking about it, that might have been as bad of a blow to episode 17 as the VolleyBOB match with Green Lantern.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

The Cactus Blossoms was probably my least favorite song. Not a bad performance, just not my kind of music and the least TP-esque, I think.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
MysteryMan14
Roadhouse Member

Post by MysteryMan14 »

For me the worst was Sharon Van Etten and Im a little suprised that she has only two votes including mine. Her song was off for me and out of TP world. On the other side this one performed by Lassie was good for me.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Panapaok wrote:The Cactus Blossoms was probably my least favorite song. Not a bad performance, just not my kind of music and the least TP-esque, I think.
I agree that it's one of the less TP-ish tracks, but it fits comfortably with the larger Lynchian soundtrackscape, with its '50s Everly Bros.-type style. Whereas I think Vedder's song might be the least Peaksian track stylistically to me. I like it a lot, it works great in the scene, and the lyrics resonate with Cooper and Audrey's situations beautifully, but it feels the least like a traditional TP song to me.

Actually, my least favorite is probably Hudson Mohawke, which isn't an option in the poll, and I understand why. His track is more soundscape than song, and unlike all the other tracks, I don't believe it was ever released anywhere outside the show, so it's tough to evaluate it properly as a standalone piece of music. However, within the show, it really didn't do much for me.
Novalis
RR Diner Member

Post by Novalis »

Maybe it's a bit too obvious / unsophisticated for some, but I find that the lyrics of Mississippi work as a really poignant elegy for Laura Palmer. True, she didn't drown herself, but the open secret in Twin Peaks is that, on some level, she did want to die. As FWWM showed all too clearly, she was in deep water metaphorically and despite moments of clarity she did let herself drown in it. Of course, she never asked to be betrayed by her own caregivers, abused from an early age or brutally murdered: this is something else entirely. You could say that she was longing for some deep, 'transcendental', experience of togetherness which she could only badly approximate by the 'limit experiences' offered by drugs and sexual self-abandonment, and ultimately reached a point where above all else she desired some selfless act that would release her from an isolated existence (while, incidentally, saving Ronette): she wanted to be with the angels that were disappearing from the world.

The official music video by the Cactus Blossoms, which can be found on youtube, really drives this home, featuring a scene in which the singers are shown lying face up in water as they sing -- a touch that really only lacks the plastic wrapping for it to seem customised for the job. So, for me at least, the song is a great fit and has become one of those most frequently played. Lissie's Wild West too, but for contrasting reasons.
As a matter of fact, 'Chalfont' was the name of the people that rented this space before. Two Chalfonts. Weird, huh?
asmahan
RR Diner Member

Post by asmahan »

I've listened to Wild West a bunch of times but I still can't get myself to like it, it sounds so generic.