Poll: Worst Roadhouse performance

Moderators: Annie, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne, Brad D

Worst Roadhouse performance

Chromatics
1
1%
The Cactus Blossoms
9
9%
Au Revoir Simone
16
16%
Trouble
1
1%
Sharon Van Etten
10
10%
Nine Inch Nails
10
10%
Rebekah Del Rio
8
8%
James Marshall
8
8%
Lissie
25
25%
The Veils
5
5%
Eddie Vedder
3
3%
Julee Cruise
3
3%
 
Total votes: 99
User avatar
Johnsusername
Posts: 62
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:32 am
Location: Liverpool, England

Re: Poll: Worst Roadhouse performance

Postby Johnsusername » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:22 am

Really digging Snake Eyes by Trouble at the minute. Just wish they had a longer version of the song, i could listen to it all day!
User avatar
NormoftheAndes
Posts: 103
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:00 am

Re: Poll: Worst Roadhouse performance

Postby NormoftheAndes » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:36 am

Mr. Strawberry wrote:
NormoftheAndes wrote:Man oh man, this poll is ample proof that some Twin Peaks are quite conformist and tunnel-visioned in their viewpoints. Its just a handful of dimwits but Lissie has been voted for most why? Because her performance makes it obvious she is lip-syncing? Because its too pop-rock and kinda upbeat? Jeez Louise. Wild West fits season 3 damn well as some people above have been writing.

Different strokes, that's really all it boils down to. Hey, while we're discussing the number of dimwits on the board, I believe that there are actually many more than just a handful of us.

NormoftheAndes wrote:Some of the negative and dullard Peaks 'fans' here who just seem to want to bash season 3 here are real pains in the ass!

A variety of opinions and perspectives on Season 3 is vastly more interesting and thought provoking than an echo chamber filled with unwavering devotion / steadfast disdain. By the way, if you view any expression of disheartened or unsatisfied reaction as "bashing", then you're already off to a biased start.


In another post you've said that all criticism is valid which is fair enough in a general sense of appreciating all viewpoints. However, I would argue that some criticism is MORE VALID. Fans being negative about the Lissie performance are not being reasonable or thinking about its placement in the show. It's just different and new to them so they immediately jump on it as out of place.

Yes I definitely agree that its great to read a variety of opinions on here. I am not just saying that some are 'bashing' season 3 outright but surely you will admit that there are some who have unfairly come down hard on it. When you say I could be biased, in another post you write that season 3 didn't have the 'magic' you wished for. But that is in itself a subjective take on what you saw. What do you mean exactly by the 'magic' - a specific mood, atmosphere, character drama etc? In terms of the music for s3, there was not really enough Badalamenti but again others will disagree with me on that.
User avatar
eyeboogers
Posts: 419
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:35 am
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Contact:

Re: Poll: Worst Roadhouse performance

Postby eyeboogers » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:51 am

NormoftheAndes wrote: there was not really enough Badalamenti but again others will disagree with me on that.


I don't think ANYONE would disagree with you on that :-)
User avatar
Johnsusername
Posts: 62
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:32 am
Location: Liverpool, England

Re: Poll: Worst Roadhouse performance

Postby Johnsusername » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:51 am

*Puts hand up* I thought there was enough Badlamenti. Of course more would have been great. But I thought there was enough, and with the music expanded to many other artists then i think what we got was more than great. The Johnny Jewel and Chromatics stuff especially really slotted in well in terms of atmosphere, and added something different (I'm not saying better) than AB.

Whoever was picking the music did a remarkable job. I wonder did Lynch/Frost already have songs in their head they wanted to use, or did the songs come to them after scenes had been written or even filmed? The use of "popular" songs was majestic. The Paris Sisters and Otis Redding in particular were stand outs of a scene perfectly set to a specific song.
Mr. Jackpots
Posts: 224
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:17 pm

Re: Poll: Worst Roadhouse performance

Postby Mr. Jackpots » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:26 pm

NormoftheAndes wrote:Man oh man, this poll is ample proof that some Twin Peaks are quite conformist and tunnel-visioned in their viewpoints. Its just a handful of dimwits but Lissie has been voted for most why? Because her performance makes it obvious she is lip-syncing? Because its too pop-rock and kinda upbeat? Jeez Louise. Wild West fits season 3 damn well as some people above have been writing.

Some of the negative and dullard Peaks 'fans' here who just seem to want to bash season 3 here are real pains in the ass!


Chromatics were my least favourite. And I liked the Lissie performance.
IcedOver
Posts: 397
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:31 pm

Re: Poll: Worst Roadhouse performance

Postby IcedOver » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:15 pm

I can't believe ten people said NIN was the worst. It's not a great song by any means, and the staging wasn't very good, but Trent's the best artist on that list above, by a wide margin.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
User avatar
yaxomoxay
Posts: 749
Joined: Tue May 23, 2017 4:50 pm

Re: Poll: Worst Roadhouse performance

Postby yaxomoxay » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:42 am

NormoftheAndes wrote:
Mr. Strawberry wrote:
NormoftheAndes wrote:Man oh man, this poll is ample proof that some Twin Peaks are quite conformist and tunnel-visioned in their viewpoints. Its just a handful of dimwits but Lissie has been voted for most why? Because her performance makes it obvious she is lip-syncing? Because its too pop-rock and kinda upbeat? Jeez Louise. Wild West fits season 3 damn well as some people above have been writing.

Different strokes, that's really all it boils down to. Hey, while we're discussing the number of dimwits on the board, I believe that there are actually many more than just a handful of us.

NormoftheAndes wrote:Some of the negative and dullard Peaks 'fans' here who just seem to want to bash season 3 here are real pains in the ass!

A variety of opinions and perspectives on Season 3 is vastly more interesting and thought provoking than an echo chamber filled with unwavering devotion / steadfast disdain. By the way, if you view any expression of disheartened or unsatisfied reaction as "bashing", then you're already off to a biased start.


In another post you've said that all criticism is valid which is fair enough in a general sense of appreciating all viewpoints. However, I would argue that some criticism is MORE VALID. Fans being negative about the Lissie performance are not being reasonable or thinking about its placement in the show. It's just different and new to them so they immediately jump on it as out of place.

Yes I definitely agree that its great to read a variety of opinions on here. I am not just saying that some are 'bashing' season 3 outright but surely you will admit that there are some who have unfairly come down hard on it. When you say I could be biased, in another post you write that season 3 didn't have the 'magic' you wished for. But that is in itself a subjective take on what you saw. What do you mean exactly by the 'magic' - a specific mood, atmosphere, character drama etc? In terms of the music for s3, there was not really enough Badalamenti but again others will disagree with me on that.


Maybe some criticism is more valid. However, no one elected you, or me, or anyone else as the judge on which criticism is valid or not.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
User avatar
NormoftheAndes
Posts: 103
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:00 am

Re: Poll: Worst Roadhouse performance

Postby NormoftheAndes » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:01 am

yaxomoxay wrote:
NormoftheAndes wrote:
Mr. Strawberry wrote:Different strokes, that's really all it boils down to. Hey, while we're discussing the number of dimwits on the board, I believe that there are actually many more than just a handful of us.


A variety of opinions and perspectives on Season 3 is vastly more interesting and thought provoking than an echo chamber filled with unwavering devotion / steadfast disdain. By the way, if you view any expression of disheartened or unsatisfied reaction as "bashing", then you're already off to a biased start.


In another post you've said that all criticism is valid which is fair enough in a general sense of appreciating all viewpoints. However, I would argue that some criticism is MORE VALID. Fans being negative about the Lissie performance are not being reasonable or thinking about its placement in the show. It's just different and new to them so they immediately jump on it as out of place.

Yes I definitely agree that its great to read a variety of opinions on here. I am not just saying that some are 'bashing' season 3 outright but surely you will admit that there are some who have unfairly come down hard on it. When you say I could be biased, in another post you write that season 3 didn't have the 'magic' you wished for. But that is in itself a subjective take on what you saw. What do you mean exactly by the 'magic' - a specific mood, atmosphere, character drama etc? In terms of the music for s3, there was not really enough Badalamenti but again others will disagree with me on that.


Maybe some criticism is more valid. However, no one elected you, or me, or anyone else as the judge on which criticism is valid or not.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk


Yes, thanks for pointing that out Yaxomoxay, you're on the ball! :P
Precisely, its up to our dear reader to make up their mind that I'm clearly right. :D
User avatar
yaxomoxay
Posts: 749
Joined: Tue May 23, 2017 4:50 pm

Re: Poll: Worst Roadhouse performance

Postby yaxomoxay » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:19 am

NormoftheAndes wrote:
yaxomoxay wrote:
NormoftheAndes wrote:
In another post you've said that all criticism is valid which is fair enough in a general sense of appreciating all viewpoints. However, I would argue that some criticism is MORE VALID. Fans being negative about the Lissie performance are not being reasonable or thinking about its placement in the show. It's just different and new to them so they immediately jump on it as out of place.

Yes I definitely agree that its great to read a variety of opinions on here. I am not just saying that some are 'bashing' season 3 outright but surely you will admit that there are some who have unfairly come down hard on it. When you say I could be biased, in another post you write that season 3 didn't have the 'magic' you wished for. But that is in itself a subjective take on what you saw. What do you mean exactly by the 'magic' - a specific mood, atmosphere, character drama etc? In terms of the music for s3, there was not really enough Badalamenti but again others will disagree with me on that.


Maybe some criticism is more valid. However, no one elected you, or me, or anyone else as the judge on which criticism is valid or not.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk


Yes, thanks for pointing that out Yaxomoxay, you're on the ball! :P
Precisely, its up to our dear reader to make up their mind that I'm clearly right. :D


If right is the only way, sooner or later you’ll find yourself at the same place you started. :)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
Mr. Strawberry
Posts: 204
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:17 pm
Location: Nevada City, CA
Contact:

Re: Poll: Worst Roadhouse performance

Postby Mr. Strawberry » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:03 pm

NormoftheAndes wrote:In another post you've said that all criticism is valid which is fair enough in a general sense of appreciating all viewpoints. However, I would argue that some criticism is MORE VALID. Fans being negative about the Lissie performance are not being reasonable or thinking about its placement in the show. It's just different and new to them so they immediately jump on it as out of place.

Yes I definitely agree that its great to read a variety of opinions on here. I am not just saying that some are 'bashing' season 3 outright but surely you will admit that there are some who have unfairly come down hard on it. When you say I could be biased, in another post you write that season 3 didn't have the 'magic' you wished for. But that is in itself a subjective take on what you saw. What do you mean exactly by the 'magic' - a specific mood, atmosphere, character drama etc? In terms of the music for s3, there was not really enough Badalamenti but again others will disagree with me on that.

There's no such thing as some criticism being more valid. Some are bound to love it, some bound to hate it, and everyone else lands somewhere between those two extremes. They're all valid reactions.

I strongly disagree with your assertion that some "have unfairly come down hard" on Season 3. What exactly makes the criticism unfair in your opinion? If someone is absolutely horrified by Season 3, then that's a natural reaction and just as "fair" as someone jumping with joy over their love for it. A reaction on the opposite end of the spectrum from yours is still a fair one.
Not taking any calls.
LateReg
Posts: 718
Joined: Sun May 10, 2015 5:19 pm

Re: Poll: Worst Roadhouse performance

Postby LateReg » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:32 pm

Mr. Strawberry wrote:
NormoftheAndes wrote:In another post you've said that all criticism is valid which is fair enough in a general sense of appreciating all viewpoints. However, I would argue that some criticism is MORE VALID. Fans being negative about the Lissie performance are not being reasonable or thinking about its placement in the show. It's just different and new to them so they immediately jump on it as out of place.

Yes I definitely agree that its great to read a variety of opinions on here. I am not just saying that some are 'bashing' season 3 outright but surely you will admit that there are some who have unfairly come down hard on it. When you say I could be biased, in another post you write that season 3 didn't have the 'magic' you wished for. But that is in itself a subjective take on what you saw. What do you mean exactly by the 'magic' - a specific mood, atmosphere, character drama etc? In terms of the music for s3, there was not really enough Badalamenti but again others will disagree with me on that.

There's no such thing as some criticism being more valid. Some are bound to love it, some bound to hate it, and everyone else lands somewhere between those two extremes. They're all valid reactions.

I strongly disagree with your assertion that some "have unfairly come down hard" on Season 3. What exactly makes the criticism unfair in your opinion? If someone is absolutely horrified by Season 3, then that's a natural reaction and just as "fair" as someone jumping with joy over their love for it. A reaction on the opposite end of the spectrum from yours is still a fair one.


I'm not going to get into this debate, but I firmly believe that some criticism is more valid than others. I'm not singling out anyone on this board as being less valid than others or anything like that, but I believe, to use a clichéd example, that Roger Ebert's criticism of a movie is more valid than someone who has only seen four movies in their entire life. Extreme examples such as that make sense to me. Which isn't to say that insight couldn't be gleaned from someone who has only seen four movies in their entire life. That kind of perspective could really be something! Which I think is the point you're ultimately making.
User avatar
Mr. Strawberry
Posts: 204
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:17 pm
Location: Nevada City, CA
Contact:

Re: Poll: Worst Roadhouse performance

Postby Mr. Strawberry » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:27 pm

Roger Ebert didn't like The Thing. Was Ebert "right" about the film since he was a respected critic? Fans of The Thing may call his review out for misunderstanding the point of the movie, while haters of the film could use it as an example of his abilities or qualifications. It's all in the Eye of the Beholder.

This particular discussion began due to someone claiming that individuals who are involved in filmmaking have a more valuable opinion to offer than individuals who are not. I found that to be arrogant and misguided, as if someone who called out a tasteless dinner was told that -- having never prepared a meal on their own -- they have no say in the matter.
Not taking any calls.
LateReg
Posts: 718
Joined: Sun May 10, 2015 5:19 pm

Re: Poll: Worst Roadhouse performance

Postby LateReg » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:51 pm

Mr. Strawberry wrote:Roger Ebert didn't like The Thing. Was Ebert "right" about the film since he was a respected critic? Fans of The Thing may call his review out for misunderstanding the point of the movie, while haters of the film could use it as an example of his abilities or qualifications. It's all in the Eye of the Beholder.

This particular discussion began due to someone claiming that individuals who are involved in filmmaking have a more valuable opinion to offer than individuals who are not. I found that to be arrogant and misguided, as if someone who called out a tasteless dinner was told that -- having never prepared a meal on their own -- they have no say in the matter.


I didn't say he was right. In fact, I was going to specifically mention Blue Velvet as a time when he was dead wrong. But his opinion is more informed than someone who never watches movies, and that's just a fact. That's what I meant by valid; maybe that's the wrong use of the word. I did not mean that someone who knows more about something specific is automatically more "correct." But I can think of quite a few less than valid criticisms of a great many movies. And I know where the argument stemmed from on a different topic, and I didn't agree then, either. I just thought I'd neutrally log an opinion here about something I feel strongly about that isn't actually worth arguing about.
User avatar
pixletwin
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:54 pm

Re: Poll: Worst Roadhouse performance

Postby pixletwin » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:24 pm

IcedOver wrote:I can't believe ten people said NIN was the worst. It's not a great song by any means, and the staging wasn't very good, but Trent's the best artist on that list above, by a wide margin.


But we aren’t judging his oeuvre. We’re judging this one song... aaaaaaaand.... it sucked.
User avatar
NormoftheAndes
Posts: 103
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:00 am

Re: Poll: Worst Roadhouse performance

Postby NormoftheAndes » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:01 pm

pixletwin wrote:
IcedOver wrote:I can't believe ten people said NIN was the worst. It's not a great song by any means, and the staging wasn't very good, but Trent's the best artist on that list above, by a wide margin.


But we aren’t judging his oeuvre. We’re judging this one song... aaaaaaaand.... it sucked.


But this is the way it goes in films - and with Lynch. NIN's Perfect Drug from Lost Highway was a good song but it was barely in the film! NIN in Twin Peaks did suit the atmosphere and it was pretty depressing so it fit the episode very well. Season 3 as a whole had a very depressing edge to it I would argue. (Not by accident of course) :P

Return to “Season 3 (2017) The Return (Spoilers)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests