42%
Michael Horse
2%

Total votes: 89
Mr. Jackpots
RR Diner Member

Re: After Kyle, who was the best actor?

Post by Mr. Jackpots »

I'm changing my vote to David Lynch. Only because seeing David with no votes makes me very sad. Long live Gordon Cole.
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

that's a pretty tough one.. i cast my vote on Naomi Watts whose performance i really enjoyed. had Grace Zabriskie had a larger role i'd probably vote for her. Matthew Lillard was also fantastic and Richard Eamon's first apperance was chilling.

agree with putting Kyle Maclachlan at #1 though and that is not only based on the size of his performance(s).. he really nailed the different characteristics of the different personalities he portrayed. his performance as "Dougie" is some of my favorte work of his.. ever.
Xavi
RR Diner Member

Post by Xavi »

Mr. Jackpots wrote:I'm changing my vote to David Lynch. Only because seeing David with no votes makes me very sad. Long live Gordon Cole.
I am with you.

All scenes with Gordon and Albert were intensely charged with the mystery of mortality. Gordon really tried to stretch time.

Aerozhul
RR Diner Member

Post by Aerozhul »

referendum wrote:This poll maybe points to one of the problems, or imbalances, with this series. ( I can't be clear about this because I haven't rewatched it as a whole, this was just my week-by-week impression).

The first TP was an ensemble piece, you got to spend quite abit of time with each of a central core of characters, and there were a whole raft of varied and memorable performances. Whereas quite a few of the actors and actresses in this list had about 5 or 6 scenes each and that's yr lot. The performances were there in embryo but there wasn't much of an opportunity for range or continuity. So yeah Zabriskie was great but she had, what, 5 scenes? Dern was underused. Fenn was a sort of vignette or 15 minute short. Sheryl Lee was underused. People like Balthazar Getty were more or less walk-ons with party turns. I know the idea was this sort of patchwork quilt where no one element takes precedent, but when you consider the question of ' best actor' in TP3 what is striking is how little most of them were given to do.
Well, if Max Von Sydow can be nominated (not sure if he won or not) for his minimal screen time on GOT as the three-eyed raven, then I think pretty much anyone on this list has a shot. Nothing against Von Sydow - he's a great actor - but his part in GOT was really small and quite honestly not that memorable.....
Poiuyt
Roadhouse Member

Post by Poiuyt »

Robert Forster.
tresojos
Roadhouse Member

Post by tresojos »

laura & grace
donna madonna mañana fofana osama bin laden hayward
Trudy Chelgren
RR Diner Member

Post by Trudy Chelgren »

After Kyle, I don't think I can just name one.

Best performances:

-Dana, who was sensitive and beautifully inquisitive.
-Seyfried, an intense livewire throughout.
-Lillard. Parts 1 & 2 were arguably defined by his tragic and utterly convincing downfall.
-Everett, Forster and Brent Briscoe, who all delivered stoic, quietly dynamic performances.
-Joy Nash. That look she gives the Laura orb puts her up there with the best of them.

Worst performances (I don't think there were obviously bad performances, but more like bad parts of a performance):

-Caleb Landry Jones. He had some great moments, (the interview with Mike was a standout, as was his abuse of Becky) but his voice was distractingly overacted and
affected. It made me realise he was an 'actor'.
-Dern, whose charisma worked at first, but was left underdeveloped for too long. She became tedious and trying, only creating an interesting character in the final acts.
-Chrysta Bell. Sometimes she worked, (the smoking scene was wonderful, and her foil to Lillard in Hastings' second interview was welcome) and sometimes she
didn't. It could feel like she was acting in a different production sometimes, and her emotion and reactions were overworked. ("Wow! They're real!")
DirkG
RR Diner Member

Post by DirkG »

Mary Reber (Alice Tremond)
TwistedFate_L4
Roadhouse Member

Post by TwistedFate_L4 »

This is such a difficult one. For me, it's a tie between Grace and Eamon. Both were absolutely captivating and unnerving. I'll probably have to give it to Grace- she took me to some dark places just with her facial expressions and mannerisms.
SpookySculder
Roadhouse Member

Post by SpookySculder »

Grace, most definitely. I had all different feelings and emotions going on at once watching her. I wish she was utilized more. But then again, there are a whole bunch of actors I wish were utilized more. Ray Wise being the big one. I agree with the other posters about him.
IAmNotYourFoot

Post by IAmNotYourFoot »

My hat is off to Grace Zabriskie, an immensely talented character actor.

Though, of the new folks, I'm torn between Naomi Watts and Eamon Farren. That kid is chilling.

PS: The results of this poll make me so happy! I feel like Twin Peaks is the only place where I'm average, I'm normal, I'm with the majority. Everywhere else, every other poll, my favorites don't win, but here? Here, they do.
"What do you fear most in the world?"
"The possibility that love is not enough."
Mr. Jackpots
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Jackpots »

For me, it's to close to call out a single favourite. But my favourite performances came from. David Lynch and Matthew Lillard. And there were lots of other great ones too. But if I named every performer who I enjoyed, the list would be approx 200 names long.

One last honourable mention to the distressed lady in the car with her sick grandson or whoever. That scene was hilarious, gross, perplexing and bone chilling. It's what makes David Lynch stuff so great.