42%
Michael Horse
2%

Total votes: 89
mtwentz
Lodge Member

After Kyle, who was the best actor?

Post by mtwentz »

Who gave the second best performance in S3?

Edit: Sorry for misspelling Grace's surname!
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Novalis
RR Diner Member

Re: After Kyle, who was the best actor?

Post by Novalis »

What, no Chrysta Bell?
Hmmph...

All those listed did well to varying degrees, but I've got to go with Grace Zabriskie. While she was definitely unsettling in Inland Empire as the polish neighbour (and I think secretly that the role of Louise Bonner in Mulholland Drive was made for Zabriskie, not to knock Lee Grant's portrayal), Zabriskie has not been this flat-out terrifying since her 'f*ck me now, Reggie' incarnation as Juana Durango.
As a matter of fact, 'Chalfont' was the name of the people that rented this space before. Two Chalfonts. Weird, huh?
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

I thought Grace was even better than Kyle.
EddyEdson

Post by EddyEdson »

GZ, but Naomi Watts came close.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Grace, but Russ Tamblyn deserves honorable mention. At 80+ years old, he has incredible energy; I kept expecting the dude to have a heart attack onscreen given how worked-up he got.
referendum
RR Diner Member

Post by referendum »

This poll maybe points to one of the problems, or imbalances, with this series. ( I can't be clear about this because I haven't rewatched it as a whole, this was just my week-by-week impression).

The first TP was an ensemble piece, you got to spend quite abit of time with each of a central core of characters, and there were a whole raft of varied and memorable performances. Whereas quite a few of the actors and actresses in this list had about 5 or 6 scenes each and that's yr lot. The performances were there in embryo but there wasn't much of an opportunity for range or continuity. So yeah Zabriskie was great but she had, what, 5 scenes? Dern was underused. Fenn was a sort of vignette or 15 minute short. Sheryl Lee was underused. People like Balthazar Getty were more or less walk-ons with party turns. I know the idea was this sort of patchwork quilt where no one element takes precedent, but when you consider the question of ' best actor' in TP3 what is striking is how little most of them were given to do.
''let's not overthink this opportunity''
ThumbsUp
RR Diner Member

Post by ThumbsUp »

I voted Grace, but I think everyone on that list deserves credit. Generally speaking, I thought this was a very well acted show.
trismegistus
Roadhouse Member

Post by trismegistus »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:Grace, but Russ Tamblyn deserves honorable mention. At 80+ years old, he has incredible energy; I kept expecting the dude to have a heart attack onscreen given how worked-up he got.
Uhhhhhhh you do know he was recovering from heart surgery right before the show went into production, right?
writersblock
RR Diner Member

Post by writersblock »

They were all great!
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

trismegistus wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:Grace, but Russ Tamblyn deserves honorable mention. At 80+ years old, he has incredible energy; I kept expecting the dude to have a heart attack onscreen given how worked-up he got.
Uhhhhhhh you do know he was recovering from heart surgery right before the show went into production, right?
Yes? Which kind of reinforces my point...it's impressive how much he gave to the performance.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
trismegistus wrote:
Yes? Which kind of reinforces my point...it's impressive how much he gave to the performance.
Yes, I think that would make Russ's performance even more impressive.

Right now, Grace is killing it, a 2-1 lead over her next competitor (Naomi Watts). Wonder if a role that small could garner an Emmy nomination though.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
BOB1
RR Diner Member

Post by BOB1 »

I don't know if everyone is so convinced about Kyle being the one best actor - well I am so I don't have a problem with the thread's title. Anyway, best or not, Kyle had SO MUCH MORE to act than all the rest of the crew that he is incomparable to others as far as acting effort is concerned.

Someone has already pointed out that actually all other roles are no more than guest appearances... Yes, that's also one of the things I didn't like and don't like...
As for these cameos Grace Zabriskie was easily the most powerful performance but since everyone seems to be voting on her I tried thinking about who else - and came up with Naomi Watts. Not very originally, it turned out! Her performance had something human. She wasn't a mere figure like most of the characters, she had a personality. And while I have a hard time remembering who was in The Return and what for, I certainly remember Naomi's Janey-E in an instance. Yes, for me that was a winning performance.

ps. If someone is really missing from this poll, it's Harry Dean Stanton, isn't it? I don't really know what Carl was for, either, but his presence on screen always felt significant even if there was no pay off after all.
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB
Esselgee
RR Diner Member

Post by Esselgee »

I guess if I want to see great acting from Ray Wise these days, I'll have to watch "Fresh Off The Boat" on ABC. Such a shame that probably the actor that gave the best performance on the original show was completely wasted here.
The Gazebo
RR Diner Member

Post by The Gazebo »

False premise making Kyle nr 1 by default.

Anyway, there were several characters I enjoyed: The Mitchums, Candie, Janey-E - which is strange, because I absolutely detest the whole Vegas storyline outright.

In Twin Peaks: Sheriff Truman - instant trust.
Mace
Roadhouse Member

Post by Mace »

Esselgee wrote:I guess if I want to see great acting from Ray Wise these days, I'll have to watch "Fresh Off The Boat" on ABC. Such a shame that probably the actor that gave the best performance on the original show was completely wasted here.
^This!

And, eventhough his role was small, he was great in Fargo Season 3 as well.