Cooper's conversation with The Fireman in episode 1 (linear and non-linear approaches)

Moderators: Annie, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne, Brad D

eyeboogers

Re: Cooper's conversation with The Fireman in episode 1 (linear and non-linear approaches)

Postby eyeboogers » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:24 pm

In episode 17 Gordon Cole reveals the plan he, Briggs and Cooper concocted together. At the time - 25 years ago, Cooper explained that the plan was about taking care of "two birds with one stone". To me that specific choice of word means the scene could take place way back - maybe even before Cooper got trapped in the first place.
Cappy

Re: Cooper's conversation with The Fireman in episode 1 (linear and non-linear approaches)

Postby Cappy » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:50 am

eyeboogers wrote:In episode 17 Gordon Cole reveals the plan he, Briggs and Cooper concocted together. At the time - 25 years ago, Cooper explained that the plan was about taking care of "two birds with one stone". To me that specific choice of word means the scene could take place way back - maybe even before Cooper got trapped in the first place.

I hadn't really thought much about the plan to stop Judy devised by Cooper/Cole/Maj. Briggs. Given that Briggs was making random appearances at crime scenes over the course of 25 years, and Cooper can sort of defy time via The Red Room, there is no telling when these 3 actually put their plan together.
Cappy

Postby Cappy » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:00 am

Mr. Reindeer wrote:I rewatched Part 14 just now and noted that Coop is wearing the FBI pin in Gordon’s dream (when Gordon can’t see his face).

I forgot about that. Possibly from Gordon's perspective, Cooper's social role (special agent) takes precedence over his actual personality/soul. If Gordon has a narrow and worldly view of what constitutes Dale Cooper, then it's worth considering that hearing Gordon Cole's name of all things is what woke Cooper up from his perfectly intuitive Dougie-state and into the more rational, literal Special Agent Dale Cooper. Like perhaps Cooper didn't wake up or become his true self as much as he was subsumed into Gordon Cole's view of him (and by extension, the world's view of him).
writersblock

Postby writersblock » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:37 am

When Lodge entities refer to Dale Cooper as "Agent Cooper!" maybe they don't mean FBI Special Agent?

Maybe he is an Agent of The White Lodge?
BMS242

Re: RE: Re: Cooper's conversation with The Fireman in episode 1 (linear and non-linear approaches)

Postby BMS242 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:24 pm

claaa7 wrote:
eyeboogers wrote:
Fred wrote:The missing FBI pin is probably just a continuity error..

I sincerely doubt that the first scene of the season - a scene all about clues and being alert, would have such a glaring continuity error in it.

i agree. it seems that Lynch payed special attention to the pin when directing the series, it's in every scene (except the first) until he is sucked out into the huge electrical device and recreated in Rancho Rosa in ep. 3. likewise it is featured again in every scene from the boiler room in ep. 17.

i wonder if the scene always was written as the first scene in the script or if it initially was placed somewhere else. between 17 and 18 would make sense but the FBI lapel pin speaks against it imo.
Random thought based on the lack of the pin (which has probably already been thrown out there and I missed it). Wonder if he was sent to the Fireman when he electrocuted himself as Dougie. There's the connection of the Lodge beings with electricity and then him flickering away.

Notwithstanding that, I tend to think it was somehow after the events of 17.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Isis Unveiled

Postby Isis Unveiled » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:37 pm

Firemen fight fire.

They regulate the flame.

Fire walk with who?

The renaming of the character from the giant to fireman is just Frost’s way of expanding on his original myth.

The only thing that stinks is the explanation of Judy...

Why would Gordon, Coop, & Briggs seek out a negative entity? Gordon never says they went to destroy Judy, yet that’s what we all presume they wanted to do.
"I have the fury of my own momentum." - BOB
Mace

Postby Mace » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:38 am

Firemen tend flames on steamships and locomotives as well.
Attachments
IMG_1839.JPG
IMG_1839.JPG (330.37 KiB) Viewed 165 times

Return to “Season 3 (2017) The Return (Spoilers)”