Understanding When the Dream Began Can Explain Twin Peaks: The Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

wowdavidwow

Re: Understanding When the Dream Began Can Explain Twin Peaks: The Return

Post by wowdavidwow »

Hey, I had a few more thoughts. Remember when Novalis reminded us about that Cooper and Harry dialogue?

COOPER
Do you know where dreams come from, Harry?

TRUMAN
Not specifically.

COOPER
(very happy)
Acetylcholine neurons fire high voltage impulses into the
forebrain. The impulses become pictures, the pictures
become your dream. But no one knows why we choose
these particular pictures.

This dialogue is reminding us that all thoughts travel to and from the brain as HIGH VOLTAGE IMPULSES. In other words, thoughts travel as if they were passing through electrical wires, held up by electrical poles. Thoughts are EE - LEC - TRIC - IT - Y!

If I'm right about The Return being entirely within the mind of a dead Cooper, then the whole season has been something of a eulogy to poor Cooper. By watching, we are deconstructing the life of a good man. Hence the, "I'ma, I'ma, I'ma good man." That song could have been more important than you thought.
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

it's an interesting theory to ponder and you lay out a well thought out case for your thoughts. i don't share the same belief but it's a beautiful thing that we are able to come to our own understanding of the show in so different ways. the new season of Twin Peaks is almost like a Rorsharch test in a way. what i like about your theory is that it works well in connecting all the seasons in a very unconventional way. especially since it's mostly after Cooper is shot that the dreamlike, supernatural< and surreal qualities start to seep into the reality of Twin Peaks.

here's an interesting quote i found from Frost in The Secret History of Twin Peaks, p. 259, which made me think of this thread. it's in the section talking about Jack Parsons:

"JP: We were near there. In the desert. A place they call Jornada del Muerto.

DM: That's near White Sands, isn't it?"

"JP: Right. it means "Journey of the Dead Man". Isn't it beautiful? The way we all move through our lives. Eyes closed, head down, shuffling along. Dead before our time, journeying toward the grave"
Saturn's child
RR Diner Member

Post by Saturn's child »

Also of note -- although this may have been mentioned -- the thing that wakes Coop up is a line from Sunset Boulevard, where (Sunset Boulevard spoiler follows)
Spoiler:
the story is being told by a dead person.
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

I disagree with most of this theory. Just to start one place, 1x07 is not called "The Last Evening". The episodes of the old series do not have titles.
wowdavidwow

Post by wowdavidwow »

Saturn's child wrote:Also of note -- although this may have been mentioned -- the thing that wakes Coop up is a line from Sunset Boulevard, where (Sunset Boulevard spoiler follows)
Spoiler:
the story is being told by a dead person.
Saturn's child, that is an excellent catch! And maybe the monkey from FWWM was intended all along as an arrow pointing towards Sunset Boulevard.

By the way, I posted my theory on Reddit. If anyone is interested in that conversation, it's here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/twinpeaks/comm ... n_of_twin/
garethw
RR Diner Member

Post by garethw »

I'm not sure if I follow your thinking to the same conclusion, but there's a line that perhaps supports it in S2E8 (the second-season premiere). I've always felt this was incredibly important and largely overlooked:

Coop asks the Giant "Where do you come from?"

The Giant shakes his head.

"The question is, where have you gone?"
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Cooper's odd movements in the closing moments of The Return looks like he is about to open the door in his room at the Great Northern. Maybe. Is he asking Carrie or the audience or himself what year it is?
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

Jerry Horne wrote:Cooper's odd movements in the closing moments of The Return looks like he is about to open the door in his room at the Great Northern. Maybe. Is he asking Carrie or the audience or himself what year it is?
The one armed man uses the same movements when he is opening up portals from the red room (speaking to Dougie and such). Cooper also uses the same movements when exiting the red room in 3x18.
DoppelBocker
Roadhouse Member

Post by DoppelBocker »

I just posted this in "The Final Dossier Spoilers" forum pg.4 but think it's more appropriate for here in response to if S3 can be seen as an altered timeline where slight alterations occur due to Coop's attempt to save Laura in Episode 17 (possibility being she still dies but perhaps slight alterations occur as a result of this attempt to save her):
Hawk also mentions Leland killing Laura but not specifically when he found this out. There are a few continuity glitches throughout season 3 (telephone pole placement, FWWM encounter with Annie in dream happening after diary given away not before as Season 3 seems to imply, ect.). I think a case can be made all of S3 is but 1 of many timelines that have occurred as a culmination of many attempts made by the Dreamer over the years to change something in history that can't be changed (Coop doesn't know about Purgatory realm until Laura whispers secret in ear and is promptly torn away).

Is it future or is it past Mike asks Coop over and over again as various iterations of his dreaming self leave the lodge on some assignment...

That's my current rationalization anyway.
The dream breifly begins with Coop's connection to Laura in S1E3 then Coop becomes trapped in the black lodge and suddenly we see him reaching out to Laura in the past through a dream in FWWM. The dream of altered possibility surrounding Laura's death permanently begins while Coop's trapped in the black lodge. It ends with his 25 yr term and re-visit with Laura Palmer. However, by this point time can't be measured linearly as Coop has become too dispersed on another plane of existence.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Started a new thread about some of this dialogue here: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=4252
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
mtl
RR Diner Member

Post by mtl »

1 - 7