Tom Sizemore accused of molesting 11yo

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

mtwentz
Lodge Member

Re: Tom Sizemore accused of molesting 11yo

Post by mtwentz »

Deep Thought wrote:
Esselgee wrote:Also, now Robert Knepper (Rodney Mitchum) is up to 5 women accusing him of sexual harassment/assault.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... ct-1064277
It seems the incident from 2010 is straight up rape. Unfortunately cases that old are hard to prosecute. What a disturbing account!
Terrible. Neither of these guys is going to get work in Hollywood again. And they shouldn't.

Edit: Sizemore still might get work if the accusations against him do not hold up.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
ThumbsUp
RR Diner Member

Post by ThumbsUp »

mtwentz wrote:
Deep Thought wrote:
Esselgee wrote:Also, now Robert Knepper (Rodney Mitchum) is up to 5 women accusing him of sexual harassment/assault.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... ct-1064277
It seems the incident from 2010 is straight up rape. Unfortunately cases that old are hard to prosecute. What a disturbing account!
Terrible. Neither of these guys is going to get work in Hollywood again. And they shouldn't.

Edit: Sizemore still might get work if the accusations against him do not hold up.
Oh god, just now seeing this. Awful.
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

https://www.the-american-interest.com/2 ... lock-hunt/

Interesting article on how this whole fad/witch hunt is going too far. Knepper was right to say what he did. Careers are being destroyed on mere accusation, and that should be concerning to anybody.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Yeah. It's a little bit too close to a fad/witch hunt for comfort, that's for sure. At a first sign of the moral panic, I'm off the bus - and there's been more than a few.
sylvia_north
RR Diner Member

Post by sylvia_north »

IcedOver wrote:https://www.the-american-interest.com/2 ... lock-hunt/

Interesting article on how this whole fad/witch hunt is going too far. Knepper was right to say what he did. Careers are being destroyed on mere accusation, and that should be concerning to anybody.
Yuck what’s with that male reversal on this neocon garbage website? Down to using the word “warlock.” We all know how few men were killed in the witch hunts.The ones that were were associated with accused women. There has never been any such thing as a ‘warlock hunt’ smdh.

You do realize the guys are the ones f—king up here. They are not the victims. Not even a little. Cry me a river.

People are encouraged to come forward because of strength in numbers. That’s what you’re seeing. Just watched The Keepers on Netflix about more Catholic priest pedophiles and conspiracies of silence, and how the impossible burdens of proof on the vulnerable ones protect predators.

I posted this on the gender thread but Amber Tamblyn has been solid on the topic.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/30/opin ... f-men.html
Too Old to Die Young > TP S03
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

sylvia_north wrote: Yuck what’s with that male reversal on this neocon garbage website? Down to using the word “warlock.” We all know how few men were killed in the witch hunts.The ones that were were associated with accused women. There has never been any such thing as a ‘warlock hunt’ smdh.

You do realize the guys are the ones f—king up here. They are not the victims. Not even a little. Cry me a river.

People are encouraged to come forward because of strength in numbers. That’s what you’re seeing. Just watched The Keepers on Netflix about more Catholic priest pedophiles and conspiracies of silence, and how the impossible burdens of proof on the vulnerable ones protect predators.

I posted this on the gender thread but Amber Tamblyn has been solid on the topic.
That Tamblyn article is the most offensive thing I've read in a while. So a lewd joke, a casual tap on the ass 20 years ago, a sext (and all without context of the situation or the burden to prove anything) is lumped in with rape? How absurd. The ones who are at fault are companies yielding to this "pressure"; accusers are just going along with the herd/fad mentality/insanity (yay, victimhood is easy!). The upside is that fads such as this and the "occupy" idiocy wither away. However, what's left behind with this won't be rat infested and shit-strewn parklets; it'll be men who did nothing that bad or nothing bad at all permanently branded.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

IcedOver wrote:
sylvia_north wrote: Yuck what’s with that male reversal on this neocon garbage website? Down to using the word “warlock.” We all know how few men were killed in the witch hunts.The ones that were were associated with accused women. There has never been any such thing as a ‘warlock hunt’ smdh.

That Tamblyn article is the most offensive thing I've read in a while. So a lewd joke, a casual tap on the ass 20 years ago, a sext (and all without context of the situation or the burden to prove anything) is lumped in with rape or Weinstein-like behavior? How absurd. The ones who are at fault are companies yielding to this "pressure"; accusers are just going along with the herd/fad mentality/insanity (yay, victimhood is easy!). The upside is that fads such as this and the "occupy" idiocy wither away. However, what's left behind with this won't be rat infested and shit-strewn parklets; it'll be men who did nothing that bad or nothing bad at all permanently branded.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
Deep Thought
RR Diner Member

Post by Deep Thought »

In the span of a couple of weeks, what had been openly tolerated and condoned on just about every level of society has now become worse than criminal, it's "meta-criminal." No one has directed this kind of disgust at say, Martha Stewart for breaking serious laws, and she was sent to prison. Mario Batali is being "erased" from existence for being a lout, and he's never even been accused of a felony. If someone who knows Mario Batali can tell me they haven't known and sniggered about his very frequent and public "slips of the hand" for decades I would figure it must be either his mother or his priest. But now there is a pox on all louts! No grandfather clause for the legacy generation. What was once a hard slap in the face is now a communal shaming and banishment. And poor Garrison Keel. . . uh what was his name again. Poof!

Paul Reubens is now a saint by comparison, as at least he had the decency to fondle his own genitals.
There's your roast beef and cheese.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

End of the day, I still believe in police investigation, your day in court, trial by jury of your peers, judgement and exoneration or sentencing.

Social media becoming judge, jury and (career) executioner is scary and dangerous to society.

There are genuine felons out there that need to be caught and victims of crime who deserve justice, but it needs to be through proper legal channels. The risk of score-settling through social media is, frankly, terrifying.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

I'll say "amen" to that.
sylvia_north
RR Diner Member

Post by sylvia_north »

Saw this piece and remembered the hilarious warlock hunt comment . Didn’t realize ppl had responded

https://www.thedailybeast.com/him-too-h ... ref=scroll

And it’s about MM, DKL’s fave

And description of DARVO http://changingminds.org/explanations/b ... /darvo.htm keeping in mind the law is just the baseline of human decency. Calling out douchebaggery and more extreme abuses of power/systemic privilege up until something illegal happens is still fair game, and not a ‘hunt’ when there are real victims.

Edit: also ‘warlock hunt’ =

suddenly there are consequences for the men. All those little “indiscretions” buried to fester under the oversized rug patriarchy supplies its loyal henchmen have made like revenants and clawed their way risen to the surface to haunt the guilty. Powerful men are being ousted from their positions of power. They are being reviled and banished. Recovery seems improbable. The major shocker is that women are bringing men down for a change; women are being believed instead of dismissed as desperate for attention, denounced as psychotic schemers, or blamed for enticing abuse
Last edited by sylvia_north on Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Too Old to Die Young > TP S03
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

This thread popping back up inspired me to see if Sizemore still has a career after these allegations (it would be a dubious distinction for TP to be his last work), and it turns out he is starring as Jack Russell in a movie about Project Blue Book!
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

IcedOver wrote:accusers are just going along with the herd/fad mentality/insanity (yay, victimhood is easy!).
No.
AgentEcho
RR Diner Member

Post by AgentEcho »

Unfortunately there seems to be a lack of nuance in this discussion. Frankly t's worse to automatically label all accusers liars than it is to automatically label the accused as guilty. But neither is good, and let's not pretend one happens more than the other to fit the perspective we choose to have on this. Accusers have their credibility questioned by default, and it's been that way forever, and we're only now getting to a point where an accuser's word is given merit. Yes, there is an overreaction in the other direction, the so called "warlock hunt" where the masses are assuming everyone accused is guilty. But that is coming in response to everything that happened before. The attitude that accusers are liars and innocent men are having their careers destroyed left and right is more born out of protecting and defending the oppressive status quo that has existed forever.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Very much agree with Echo. Our culture has a tendency toward reactionary pendulum-swings in the extreme, and someone having their name and career ruined over a false accusation is not to be taken lightly (I myself have been falsely accused of inappropriate behavior, and I thank the heavens that my professional reputation and the fact that the accuser was demonstrably mentally ill in a MJA-type fashion kept me from having my life completely derailed, but even in those circumstances it was a terrifying experience to fear that I might have to completely start over with those false allegations hanging over my head for the rest of my life). But as Echo said, I’m really not seeing much in the way of a “warlock hunt” in Hollywood. Pretty much all of the allegations I’ve seen are detailed, in many cases corroborated, and thoroughly investigated by legitimate publications whose journalists have uncovered in most cases a pattern of systematic behavior by an abuser with nearly identical stories told by multiple victims. In many cases, the accused has confessed (or given a corroboration couched in a bizarre half-denial, like James Franco or Kevin Spacey). No one is saying these men should be imprisoned without due process, but it’s totally fair for people to say that they are uncomfortable working with these men in light of the very serious and persuasive allegations.

Only a few of the allegations give me any pause. Aziz Ansari’s behavior is more nuanced and less criminal than most, but I believe it has been generally treated that way by the media and has opened up a healthy dialogue which has centered less around crucifying him personally and more around reevaluating unhealthy social moors overall. George Takei was accused by one person, and he has denied the allegations...I’m not sure who to believe, and I think most people seem to agree with that. His career and media presence don’t seem to have terribly suffered, even as most of us are troubled and can’t help but wonder. Perhaps most conflicted for me, Woody Allen stands accused of the most heinous behavior of anyone in Hollywood today, raping a nine-year-old. If true, he is a monster...but he has denied the allegations, a prosecutor declined to bring charges, no one else has ever accused him of pedophilia (the Soon-Yi thing is undeniably creepy, but not illegal and has led to a seemingly healthy 20+ year marriage), and the circumstances of the accusation are at least somewhat suspect (the allegation coming during a contentious divorce, and Mia Farrow’s own family history, including her brother being convicted and jailed for child molestation in 2013, and Moses Farrow’s stories of Mia manipulating and psychologically abusing her children). Let me be clear that I don’t doubt for a second that Dylan Farrow believes the allegations she has voiced. And I’m not saying I don’t think Allen is guilty, necessarily. I frankly don’t know what to believe. But, even doing my best to remove my personal biases and enjoyment of his films from the table, I find this particular accusation the most troubling. In light of all the evidence, it feels just about 50/50 to me that he is or is not guilty. It feels equally wrong to condemn him without reservation in the court of public opinion on the existing evidence, and to let him off.

Even given those few specific concerns, by and large, the recent move toward crediting victims feels enormously healthy, and the credible and detailed stories we are hearing have very clearly borne that trend out in almost all cases. Definitely not seeing any “warlock hunt.”