2017 Best of Lists

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Voided
Roadhouse Member

Re: 2017 Best of Lists

Post by Voided »

richsmith wrote:As TP:TR will likely end up on a number of year-end Best Of lists, much to the chagrin of many here, it might be worth having a single thread to place them in.

So far:

Vulture -- #1: http://www.vulture.com/2017/12/best-tv- ... -2017.html

Sight and Sound -- #2: http://www.bfi.org.uk/features/best-films-2017/ (counted as a feature film)
Wow! Can’t believe Twin Peaks made its way onto Sight and sounds film list of the year. That’s a first in television history, I’m sure.
Just forget you ever saw it. It's better that way.
Mr. Strawberry
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Strawberry »

Whoa, seeing The Handmaid's Tale on this list (in second place no less!) is just baffling. I'm curious what you guys thought about the show. My experience was outright revulsion. I only watched two episodes, but talk about overdone, banal, by the book storytelling. It failed to produce the shock that it so obviously wanted to, and the silly story came off like something written by a high schooler. The cinematography was jarring. That constant use of a limited depth of field combined with so many "creatively framed" shots gave the thing a very commercial look, and the soundtrack was pure "Hollywood Score" fluff.
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

Mr. Strawberry wrote:
Whoa, seeing The Handmaid's Tale on this list (in second place no less!) is just baffling. I'm curious what you guys thought about the show. My experience was outright revulsion. I only watched two episodes, but talk about overdone, banal, by the book storytelling. It failed to produce the shock that it so obviously wanted to, and the silly story came off like something written by a high schooler. The cinematography was jarring. That constant use of a limited depth of field combined with so many "creatively framed" shots gave the thing a very commercial look, and the soundtrack was pure "Hollywood Score" fluff.
I agree with you completely. I did only watch the pilot though (for all the reasons you listed). It seemed like a dystopian version of a telenovella - "Will she pick the rich landowner with a secret or will she pick the poor but rebellious boy next door?", I wasn't down for a seasons worth of that. Elisabeth Moss did star in a great-ish TV show last year, but it was "Top of the Lake: China Girl" and not this.