What Other Directors/Actors Think of Season 3

Moderators: Annie, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne, Brad D

Metamorphia
Posts: 320
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:52 am

Re: What Other Directors/Actors Think of Season 3

Postby Metamorphia » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:30 am

Jim Jarmusch:

"But I think the masterpiece that took the last few years in American cinema is really Twin Peaks: The Return. Eighteen hours of incomprehensible T.V. It wasn’t easy for him, and, by the way, no one will finance David Lynch’s feature films — so, what the fuck, I don’t get it. That is a real work of incredible beauty because it is so incomprehensible. I just found it to be a masterwork."

https://consequenceofsound.net/2019/06/ ... -jarmusch/
LateReg
Posts: 791
Joined: Sun May 10, 2015 5:19 pm

Re: What Other Directors/Actors Think of Season 3

Postby LateReg » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:33 pm

Metamorphia wrote:Jim Jarmusch:

"But I think the masterpiece that took the last few years in American cinema is really Twin Peaks: The Return. Eighteen hours of incomprehensible T.V. It wasn’t easy for him, and, by the way, no one will finance David Lynch’s feature films — so, what the fuck, I don’t get it. That is a real work of incredible beauty because it is so incomprehensible. I just found it to be a masterwork."

https://consequenceofsound.net/2019/06/ ... -jarmusch/


I saw The Dead Don't Die and I was pretty sure that Jarmusch was paying homage to Twin Peaks thru Iggy Pop's zombie character. The way he says "coffeeeeee" over and over is, if not pure Dougie, then a possible reference to the weird way it's said in the Red Room in the original series. And then, yes, after seeing it I also saw that quote which pretty much sealed The Return as a partial influence.
LateReg
Posts: 791
Joined: Sun May 10, 2015 5:19 pm

Re: What Other Directors/Actors Think of Season 3

Postby LateReg » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:10 pm

Jarmusch gave another interview to Vulture where he said something similar:

"Oh, the best of American cinema of the last decade, probably, for me, is Twin Peaks: The Return, an 18-hour film that is incomprehensible and dreamlike in the most beautiful, adventurous way. That is a masterpiece. Why can’t they just give David Lynch whatever money he needs? Why can’t you give Terry Gilliam? He needs money to make something; just give it to him! I don’t understand."

https://www.vulture.com/2019/06/jim-jar ... t-die.html
User avatar
Mr. Reindeer
Posts: 2236
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:09 pm

Re: What Other Directors/Actors Think of Season 3

Postby Mr. Reindeer » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:42 pm

Is Lynch really having trouble getting funding? I know Room to Dream went into this a bit with Antelope Don’t Run No More, with Lynch I think blaming the fact that there is no longer a “middle” between low-budget indie film and big-budget blockbuster. But surely plenty of recent films and filmmakers fall into that middle ground. I find it insane to believe that Lynch is unable to attract any interest, in Hollywood or Europe, based solely on his name, a brand so proven that his name has entered the cultural lexicon as an adjective! Is Studio Canal, who swopped up MD in an extreme gamble, unwilling to give hom the budget he needs? I mean, he’s got a solid reputation for coming in within the allotted time and budget, even on an insane production like TP:TR. he has a proven critical track record. It seems to me more like no one wants to put up the rather large budget for ADRNM than there being a general shunning of Lynch in the industry.
User avatar
Trudy Chelgren
Posts: 177
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:07 am

Re: What Other Directors/Actors Think of Season 3

Postby Trudy Chelgren » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:31 am

Its an obvious indie example, but if I were A24 I would kill to have a Lynch film on our roster. A24 art kid fans love Lynch. You'd think people would be seeking him out and asking for pitches after The Return. Unless his ideas are wildly unreasonable and stubborn, (which I imagine they definitely would be after his frustration at TR's fast production) they could certainly fund a smaller work from him.

(also A24 seem to want to promote newer/younger voices, so doubtful they would want Lynch anyway)
LateReg
Posts: 791
Joined: Sun May 10, 2015 5:19 pm

Re: What Other Directors/Actors Think of Season 3

Postby LateReg » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:22 am

Mr. Reindeer wrote:Is Lynch really having trouble getting funding? I know Room to Dream went into this a bit with Antelope Don’t Run No More, with Lynch I think blaming the fact that there is no longer a “middle” between low-budget indie film and big-budget blockbuster. But surely plenty of recent films and filmmakers fall into that middle ground. I find it insane to believe that Lynch is unable to attract any interest, in Hollywood or Europe, based solely on his name, a brand so proven that his name has entered the cultural lexicon as an adjective! Is Studio Canal, who swopped up MD in an extreme gamble, unwilling to give hom the budget he needs? I mean, he’s got a solid reputation for coming in within the allotted time and budget, even on an insane production like TP:TR. he has a proven critical track record. It seems to me more like no one wants to put up the rather large budget for ADRNM than there being a general shunning of Lynch in the industry.


Those are my thoughts, too. I simply can't believe that he couldn't get something funded. For the longest time post-IE he was saying this, and I wasn't sure whether to believe it was his lack of ideas or that he actually couldn't get funding. Or, more likely, a middle ground where Lynch didn't have the big idea to pursue that was worth the effort of dealing with the way that films are produced nowadays. I wasn't sure if he was always falling back on that "middle" has disappeared statement based on his observations of the industry, or if it was actually true in that he had attempted to get funding for films and couldn't. Because yes, there are still a lot of films being made in the middle right now, including Jarmusch's, and, slightly more mainstream, even Paul Thomas Anderson's, who has no trouble getting 30 to 40 mil to fund a relatively uncommercial picture that won't necessarily make that back. So what are we really talking about here, is my question?
User avatar
yaxomoxay
Posts: 755
Joined: Tue May 23, 2017 4:50 pm

Re: What Other Directors/Actors Think of Season 3

Postby yaxomoxay » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:01 am

LateReg wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:Is Lynch really having trouble getting funding? I know Room to Dream went into this a bit with Antelope Don’t Run No More, with Lynch I think blaming the fact that there is no longer a “middle” between low-budget indie film and big-budget blockbuster. But surely plenty of recent films and filmmakers fall into that middle ground. I find it insane to believe that Lynch is unable to attract any interest, in Hollywood or Europe, based solely on his name, a brand so proven that his name has entered the cultural lexicon as an adjective! Is Studio Canal, who swopped up MD in an extreme gamble, unwilling to give hom the budget he needs? I mean, he’s got a solid reputation for coming in within the allotted time and budget, even on an insane production like TP:TR. he has a proven critical track record. It seems to me more like no one wants to put up the rather large budget for ADRNM than there being a general shunning of Lynch in the industry.


Those are my thoughts, too. I simply can't believe that he couldn't get something funded. For the longest time post-IE he was saying this, and I wasn't sure whether to believe it was his lack of ideas or that he actually couldn't get funding. Or, more likely, a middle ground where Lynch didn't have the big idea to pursue that was worth the effort of dealing with the way that films are produced nowadays. I wasn't sure if he was always falling back on that "middle" has disappeared statement based on his observations of the industry, or if it was actually true in that he had attempted to get funding for films and couldn't. Because yes, there are still a lot of films being made in the middle right now, including Jarmusch's, and, slightly more mainstream, even Paul Thomas Anderson's, who has no trouble getting 30 to 40 mil to fund a relatively uncommercial picture that won't necessarily make that back. So what are we really talking about here, is my question?


I wonder if part of the studio's reluctance is due to the fact that sometimes Lynch gets new ideas while filming, which could cause serious strain to the budgetary process.

Return to “Season 3 (2017) The Return”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests