Richard's fate / the quest for Judy

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Cappy
Great Northern Member

Richard's fate / the quest for Judy

Post by Cappy »

I've been thinking about Richard Horne's demise, in the context of Mr. C's quest to find that horned shape on the playing card (which I am just assuming is Judy). The coordinates given to Mr. C by Ray & Jeffries seem to almost be a trap intended to damage/kill Mr. C, as evidenced by what happens to Richard. But given what happens to Mr. C when he follows the coordinates given to him by Diane, it appears that the Fireman's House (The White Lodge?) might've been THE trap, or another trap anyway.

I'm beginning to wonder though, what if the rock Richard was electrocuted on was a door into some Judy-related place? And he wasn't electrocuted, moreso just violently teleported away? If the Cooper ("Richard") we see in episode 18 is a composite of Special Agent Dale Cooper, Mr. C, and Dougie Jones, then it is possible that offspring Richard is somehow a part of this mix as well. The "Richard" in ep. 18 acts nothing like Richard Horne obviously, but it's almost impossible to not think of Cooper's bastard son when watching Coop refer to himself as "Richard".

If this is the case, then it casts Mr. C's season long quest in a different light. He is depicted as being hellbent on finding Judy, but he doesn't even understand what he is looking for. He sees Richard Horne get sucked into Judy's realm, but doesn't even know enough about what he is pursuing to understand what is happening. Because of his own ignorance of the forces he seeks, he falls into the Fireman's trap, which drops him right into the Sheriff's station, where characters like Andy and Freddie have been given vague clues as to how to defeat him. So much for being an evil genius?
Alacrates

Re: Richard's fate / the quest for Judy

Post by Alacrates »

Interesting thoughts - I hadn't really considered a connection between Richard Horne and the Richard identity that Cooper assumes in Episode 18.

I do feel like there has been a movement in Lynch's films between characters that depict a psyche split in two - Leland in his regular & possessed state, Fred/Pete in LH, Betty/Diane in MD - to looking at more fractured identities in Inland Empire. I'm not fully clear on that movie, but though there seems like a split between Nikki Grace and Sue Blue, it also seems like there's a third personality in those confessional/interrogation scenes near the end of the film (I think some people have called that character Lorraine?) and also the interconnection of people over time: the history of characters in Poland, the Lost Girl, etc.

In Season 3, I kind of feels there is the same theme of a split psyche between Cooper and his doppelganger, but also the fragmenting of that, with Dougie Jones almost being a third aspect of Cooper, and the identity of Richard being another factor, of influence of personalities across time/realities.

Anyways, the idea of Richard Horne being violently absorbed by the electricity instead of destroyed is an interesting possibility, I'll definitely think more on that.