Caroline & Carrie

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Saturn's child
RR Diner Member

Caroline & Carrie

Post by Saturn's child »

Apologies if this has been mentioned/discussed before, but I'm wondering if there's any connection between Caroline Earle & Carrie Page? The primary constituent of Cooper's Shadow (at least in the original run) appears to be Caroline's death, which in turn cemented his saviour complex, &c, &c. He tried confronting this aspect of himself -- his Dweller on the Threshold -- at the end of season 2 & apparently failed.

Caroline's maiden name was Powell, giving us another C.P. along with Carrie Page. Cooper's journey begins with Caroline Powell & ends with Carrie Page. 'Carrie' -- at a stretch -- also sounds like a portmanteau of 'Caroline' & 'Annie'. Is there anything to this, or just some light coincidences? Is Carrie a projection of Laura or Caroline or both? We've already seen Cooper's unconscious (the Red Room) confusing the identities of Annie & Caroline ("It's me")... so in a larger sense, how much is Twin Peaks & its mysteries a projection of Cooper's need to solve the deepest trauma of his past/psyche?
Saturn's child
RR Diner Member

Re: Caroline & Carrie

Post by Saturn's child »

I'm also going to go off topic & ask: is Diane Cooper's anima? (with the tape recorder substituting for Coop's unconscious?). If so, does that mean he raped a part of himself in failing to confront the trauma within his psyche? (ie: did he fuck himself up?). Did he attempt to assassinate his conscious mind with an unconscious emissary? (ie: Diane trying to kill the Blue Rose task force).
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

Saturn's child wrote:I'm also going to go off topic & ask: is Diane Cooper's anima? (with the tape recorder substituting for Coop's unconscious?). If so, does that mean he raped a part of himself in failing to confront the trauma within his psyche? (ie: did he fuck himself up?). Did he attempt to assassinate his conscious mind with an unconscious emissary? (ie: Diane trying to kill the Blue Rose task force).
I can't help but read (or 'view') Diane along these lines. Although I feel like this is contradicted at times. The strange sex scene in episode 18 with Diane's tears comes to mind -- every time I see that I think that Diane's pain is real, and that this is the real, authentic Diane. But overall I do feel like Diane is representative of some aspect of Coop's psyche or soul, maybe even extending as far back as the original series.

I just noticed this the other day, but in The Missing Pieces, where Cooper addresses an offscreen Diane, he comments that her clock has been moved 12 inches to the left. It brought to mind his reunion with Diane in the police station in ep. 17, where he makes a point to stare at the wall clock for a moment. Not sure what the significance of that is.
Alacrates

Post by Alacrates »

The Caroline/Annie/Carrie seems pretty plausible to me, and that is a good point, Season 2 did end with Annie and Caroline being confused & identified with one another.

If Carrie is a something like a subconscious conflation of Caroline, Annie and Laura, all kind of signifying the recurrence of the same pattern, I like how it makes the finale of Season 3 an altered repeat of Season 2's close.
ThumbsUp
RR Diner Member

Post by ThumbsUp »

I think Carrie was just another woman Coop the saviour tried to rescue. So in that sense, I do think she's similar to Laura, Annie, Caroline (and Maddy), all of whom appeared in the S2 finale during Coop's personalised Black Lodge trial of horrors: all the women he failed to save. I guess you could throw Diane into the mix too, considering what happens in part 18.

I think Carrie has more cosmic ties to Laura than Caroline of course, and I'm sure we'll spend the next 25 years mulling those. :)
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

If Cooper's quest through the Black Lodge and Season 3 involves conflating Annie and Caroline's identities, as well as Laura and Carrie Page's, couldn't something similar also be at play with long lost sisters Diane and Janey-E? I don't feel like they are sisters in a literal sense, because of the slight chance that Janey-E might re-unite with her sister could've led to a potential unraveling of Mr. C's plan at any time. Maybe they are more so sisters in that they are variations on a similar theme, or... something. There's just something odd about the way Diane reveals her connection to Janey-E, coupled with the fact that it's never referenced again. I can't help but feel that it has some sort of significance.

Also interesting how Audrey, Coop's other main romantic interest, doesn't have a confused identity with any other character per se, at least not in the sense we've discussed, but she does have a fair amount of uncertainty about who/what/where she is.
Saturn's child
RR Diner Member

Post by Saturn's child »

Cappy wrote:If Cooper's quest through the Black Lodge and Season 3 involves conflating Annie and Caroline's identities, as well as Laura and Carrie Page's, couldn't something similar also be at play with long lost sisters Diane and Janey-E? I don't feel like they are sisters in a literal sense, because of the slight chance that Janey-E might re-unite with her sister could've led to a potential unraveling of Mr. C's plan at any time. Maybe they are more so sisters in that they are variations on a similar theme, or... something. There's just something odd about the way Diane reveals her connection to Janey-E, coupled with the fact that it's never referenced again. I can't help but feel that it has some sort of significance.
Very interesting point, & something that intrigues me too. I wonder if Janey-E & Diane can't meet, in a similar way that Cooper's selves never meet (barring Mr C's death scene, which -- in any case -- results in a transcendence / floating Coop head). Maybe Part 18's Richard is a shakily united Coop (barely holding himself together, then overextending himself in order to play the hero) whereas Diane never met her Janey-E & hence still sees her doppelganger outside the motel room?