The shot fired into the diner...

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Alacrates

The shot fired into the diner...

Post by Alacrates »

Not sure if this scene has been discussed on the board here, I hadn't been on the forum for awhile.

I'm just going through a re-watch of the series on the DVD, and like everyone else I'm sure, I'm noticing so much more each time I go through the series.

One scene that struck me as being odd in so many small ways is the scene where the kid fires a shot into the bullet into the diner. The first time through I of course focused on the bizarre honking woman/sick zombie-child finish, but watching through again I noticed a bunch of other odd details. Wondering if anyone had some thoughts on these.

- Jesse, the other police office who responding: I definitely noticed how odd his lines were delivered in this scene first time around. Re-watching it though, he says he was at Big Ed's Gas Farm and came when he heard shots - which seems way too far for him to have traveled in the short time Bobby took to exit the diner and apprehend the gun. Not only that, but when the camera circles around Bobby as he is removing the bullets from the gun, you can see Jesse's police cruiser is already sitting in the parking lot, lights off. A moment later you see him pull a little forward from that spot, siren on, lights flashing. Could just be an error, but they draw attention to it him saying that he was at Big Ed's, and the dramatic camera movement when he was removing the bullets makes me wonder what is up here.

- Red: earlier in the scene we see Red walk up to the diner window to greet Shelly, interrupting the little family meeting. Interesting where he is approaching from: he just passed by where Jesse is parked, and kind of triangulated between that police cruiser, the white honking car with the sick girl, and the minivan with the child (Ralph) who fires the gun. Does Red's presence have anything to do with these three sets of people, and the strangeness that ensues?

- The woman sitting by the jukebox - you can see her when Shelly leaves the diner to meet Red and when Bobby leaves the diner to approach the minivan - does she kind of look like Ruby, the woman who crawls across the Roadhouse floor? Now that I'm looking at the Blu-ray with a better picture, I'm thinking it's probably not her, but her size, dark hair and the way she crawls up under her table after the shot is fired seems similar to Ruby anyways, it would explain why she was feeling so tense in that later scene.

- The scene immediately after this is Hawk going over his living map with Sheriff Truman, and it ends with Jesse interrupting, oddly, asking Sheriff Truman if he wants to come outside and see his new car. Of course we don't know that when this scene is, it may not be chronological, but now that I'm suspicious of Jesse, why is he wanting to pull Truman out of that conference room just then?

I think there's a lot more to talk about with this scene, thematically: from Bobby's point of view, having killed the police officer in FWWM, seeing Becky firing a gun indiscriminately into the apartment door, and the little boy shooting into the diner, it seems to point to these cycles of behavior that crop up in Twin Peaks. Also something about families being broken up, with Red and the bullet breaking up the family meeting in the diner, the frustration that the honking woman expresses in trying to get home, being late, etc.

Anyways, I'd love to hear people's thoughts! Thx
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Re: The shot fired into the diner...

Post by claaa7 »

Alacrates wrote:Not sure if this scene has been discussed on the board here, I hadn't been on the forum for awhile.

I'm just going through a re-watch of the series on the DVD, and like everyone else I'm sure, I'm noticing so much more each time I go through the series.

One scene that struck me as being odd in so many small ways is the scene where the kid fires a shot into the bullet into the diner. The first time through I of course focused on the bizarre honking woman/sick zombie-child finish, but watching through again I noticed a bunch of other odd details. Wondering if anyone had some thoughts on these.

- Jesse, the other police office who responding: I definitely noticed how odd his lines were delivered in this scene first time around. Re-watching it though, he says he was at Big Ed's Gas Farm and came when he heard shots - which seems way too far for him to have traveled in the short time Bobby took to exit the diner and apprehend the gun. Not only that, but when the camera circles around Bobby as he is removing the bullets from the gun, you can see Jesse's police cruiser is already sitting in the parking lot, lights off. A moment later you see him pull a little forward from that spot, siren on, lights flashing. Could just be an error, but they draw attention to it him saying that he was at Big Ed's, and the dramatic camera movement when he was removing the bullets makes me wonder what is up here.

- Red: earlier in the scene we see Red walk up to the diner window to greet Shelly, interrupting the little family meeting. Interesting where he is approaching from: he just passed by where Jesse is parked, and kind of triangulated between that police cruiser, the white honking car with the sick girl, and the minivan with the child (Ralph) who fires the gun. Does Red's presence have anything to do with these three sets of people, and the strangeness that ensues?

- The woman sitting by the jukebox - you can see her when Shelly leaves the diner to meet Red and when Bobby leaves the diner to approach the minivan - does she kind of look like Ruby, the woman who crawls across the Roadhouse floor? Now that I'm looking at the Blu-ray with a better picture, I'm thinking it's probably not her, but her size, dark hair and the way she crawls up under her table after the shot is fired seems similar to Ruby anyways, it would explain why she was feeling so tense in that later scene.

- The scene immediately after this is Hawk going over his living map with Sheriff Truman, and it ends with Jesse interrupting, oddly, asking Sheriff Truman if he wants to come outside and see his new car. Of course we don't know that when this scene is, it may not be chronological, but now that I'm suspicious of Jesse, why is he wanting to pull Truman out of that conference room just then?

I think there's a lot more to talk about with this scene, thematically: from Bobby's point of view, having killed the police officer in FWWM, seeing Becky firing a gun indiscriminately into the apartment door, and the little boy shooting into the diner, it seems to point to these cycles of behavior that crop up in Twin Peaks. Also something about families being broken up, with Red and the bullet breaking up the family meeting in the diner, the frustration that the honking woman expresses in trying to get home, being late, etc.

Anyways, I'd love to hear people's thoughts! Thx
I havent read too much into Jesse but he sure displays some pretty weird behavior but i have more written it off as typical Lynchian/TP oddness. There is however one more Jessie scene of intetest within this context. I think its at the end of part 6 before we cut to the Roadhouse we zoom in on a dreamy Jessie who is completely oblivious to the conversation around him. As the camera closes in we hear the ringing sound that Ben and Beverly chased around The Great Northern.
Fred
Roadhouse Member

Re: The shot fired into the diner...

Post by Fred »

Is Jessie just absent-minded or is he up to no good? Is he working with Chad on some kind of underhand scheme?

He looks a bit like the man is New York who is paid to watch the glass box.