Billy and Charlie

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Cappy
Great Northern Member

Re: Billy and Charlie

Post by Cappy »

In terms of the Billy=jail drunk theory, this is all I can muster towards it:

The description of Billy from the two girls sitting in the Roadhouse booth describes a man with a bleeding mouth, which the drunk has.

Audrey is looking for Billy, who has been missing, possibly on a prolonged drinking binge or in jail?

Mr. C meets a Woodsman in the Convenience Store who has what appears to be a bleeding mouth, and the Woodsmen appear at the police station upstairs from the jail.

If Billy is the drunk, he might have also been Woodsman-possessed as a means of keeping tabs on Naido and/or Audrey Horne.

I'm also of the opinion that Phyllis Hastings was possessed by a Woodsman, as suggested by the appearance of the Woodsman near hear husband's holding cell, and Mr. C's cryptic comments to her (something about her imitating human nature? Can't remember the specific quote). Also, I imagine that the weird visual effect that occurs when Phyllis Hastings is shot is the Woodsman leaving her body.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Cappy wrote:I'm also of the opinion that Phyllis Hastings was possessed by a Woodsman, as suggested by the appearance of the Woodsman near hear husband's holding cell, and Mr. C's cryptic comments to her (something about her imitating human nature? Can't remember the specific quote). Also, I imagine that the weird visual effect that occurs when Phyllis Hastings is shot is the Woodsman leaving her body.
I’m not necessarily crazy about this theory, but you may be onto something insofar as there is also a visual glitch in Duncan Todd’s death — another pawn of Mr. C. Is something infiltrating the souls of his recruits that causes a weird anomaly at the moment of death?
chromereflectsimage
RR Diner Member

Post by chromereflectsimage »

When a Shaman is in a trance (alternating between various levels of consciousness) he will bleed from the nose and mouth. In the original series, Cooper likened Phillip/Mike to a 'Seer or Shaman Priest'
chromereflectsimage
RR Diner Member

Post by chromereflectsimage »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
Cappy wrote:I'm also of the opinion that Phyllis Hastings was possessed by a Woodsman, as suggested by the appearance of the Woodsman near hear husband's holding cell, and Mr. C's cryptic comments to her (something about her imitating human nature? Can't remember the specific quote). Also, I imagine that the weird visual effect that occurs when Phyllis Hastings is shot is the Woodsman leaving her body.
I’m not necessarily crazy about this theory, but you may be onto something insofar as there is also a visual glitch in Duncan Todd’s death — another pawn of Mr. C. Is something infiltrating the souls of his recruits that causes a weird anomaly at the moment of death?
The more I read about the Bardo and Tibetan Mythology, I am thinking the woodsmen are represenative of Hungry Ghosts or the Wrathful Dieties who have black faces and drink blood from skulls. They are said to be illusions derived from one's own negative karma.
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
Yeah, that's a good point as well. Duncan Todd's cold and deliberate speech could be viewed as a man possessed on some level. Also, I was fascinated by that scene where Duncan sees the red square on his computer screen, and immediately stops what he is doing to perform a new task. It's almost as if the red square functioned as a sort post-hypnotic trigger that awakened some command that had been planted in his mind/soul.
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
There are many things altered between the show and the blu ray edition, one of those things is that there is no longer a visual glitch when Todd dies.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

eyeboogers wrote:There are many things altered between the show and the blu ray edition, one of those things is that there is no longer a visual glitch when Todd dies.

Hmm, that’s very “George Lucas” of DKL. I know he also removed some boom mikes and corrected other technical errors in the original show for the Blu Ray release, and darkened Laura Harring’s pubic area for the home video release of MD as a matter of propriety, but generally he has always been of the stated opinion that once the work is out in the world it’s finished (even when he finds the result unsatisfactory, as on Dune, he has owned the theatrical release as the “only director’s cut”). I guess this means the glitch was just bad CGI and not an eccentric DKL touch (as distinguished from the intentionally surreal/unrealistic CGI elsewhere). If you don’t mind saying, what other changes have you noticed?
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
eyeboogers wrote:There are many things altered between the show and the blu ray edition, one of those things is that there is no longer a visual glitch when Todd dies.

Hmm, that’s very “George Lucas” of DKL. I know he also removed some boom mikes and corrected other technical errors in the original show for the Blu Ray release, and darkened Laura Harring’s pubic area for the home video release of MD as a matter of propriety, but generally he has always been of the stated opinion that once the work is out in the world it’s finished (even when he finds the result unsatisfactory, as on Dune, he has owned the theatrical release as the “only director’s cut”). I guess this means the glitch was just bad CGI and not an eccentric DKL touch (as distinguished from the intentionally surreal/unrealistic CGI elsewhere). If you don’t mind saying, what other changes have you noticed?
I still haven't had time to go and compare the Blu Ray and stream side by side (not the whole thing, just the places that felt different to me). Some things I don't know whether have been changed or if I just remember them wrong. For instance in the scene where Mr.C kills Ray and is told about "The Flying Dutchman's" Mr.C says "I know where it is". However I remember it as "I know where it is...and I know when it is". Lots of things like that, i will try to make a list and check it twice :-)
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

eyeboogers wrote:I still haven't had time to go and compare the Blu Ray and stream side by side (not the whole thing, just the places that felt different to me). Some things I don't know whether have been changed or if I just remember them wrong. For instance in the scene where Mr.C kills Ray and is told about "The Flying Dutchman's" Mr.C says "I know where it is". However I remember it as "I know where it is...and I know when it is". Lots of things like that, i will try to make a list and check it twice :-)
That line has always been “I know WHAT it is” in the streaming and Blu Ray versions I’ve seen! I can’t speak to the broadcast version. Maybe Cooper messing with the timestream is causing memory issues. ;)
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

eyeboogers wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:
There are many things altered between the show and the blu ray edition, one of those things is that there is no longer a visual glitch when Todd dies.
I still notice the glitch and I honestly don't think anything has been changed. The dialogue you mention further down the page has always been what it is.
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

LateReg wrote:
eyeboogers wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:
I still notice the glitch and I honestly don't think anything has been changed. The dialogue you mention further down the page has always been what it is.

Disagree, and checked it with the streaming version on HBO Nordic, the detail shot of Todd's head blowing up has been shortened.
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

eyeboogers wrote:
Did you happen to notice any difference in the scene when Bosomy Woman (Malachy Sreenan) approaches Mr C in the parking lot in Part 15? When I watched the "on demand"/streaming versions of this scene, there was a very, very blotchy quality to the Woman's face. It seemed to indicate they used a different shot of the Woman's face and pasted it onto the shot of the Woman's body approaching Cooper in the scene. But the Bluray version looks completely flawless, as if they fixed something that was kind of wonky on their first attempt at the "effect." Anybody else notice that?
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

bosguy1981 wrote:
eyeboogers wrote:
Did you happen to notice any difference in the scene when Bosomy Woman (Malachy Sreenan) approaches Mr C in the parking lot in Part 15? When I watched the "on demand"/streaming versions of this scene, there was a very, very blotchy quality to the Woman's face. It seemed to indicate they used a different shot of the Woman's face and pasted it onto the shot of the Woman's body approaching Cooper in the scene. But the Bluray version looks completely flawless, as if they fixed something that was kind of wonky on their first attempt at the "effect." Anybody else notice that?
I just took the stream version of the shot into photoshop, even after brightening the shot the eyes are hard to make out, in this version. I am not sure if it's a different shot or just extremely lousy compression (more likely) but your eyes aren't lying to you that the shot is more moody and decipherable on the Blu Ray.
Attachments
tp.jpg
tp.jpg (176.13 KiB) Viewed 10377 times
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

I thought so! Thanks for confirming.
Voided
Roadhouse Member

Post by Voided »

Having just watched ‘The Art Life’, I noticed a Billy is mentioned in some of Lynch’s paintings...just as a Bob is. Of course, there is a Billy Side in Inland Empire. The particularly interesting thing is that there were both a character named Billy and a character named Red in ‘Wild At heart’ Originally......but the scenes were deleted.
I suppose what we can maybe derive from this is that Lynch has attachments to certain names that mean something symbolic or just sound right to him....and they pervade his visual work over the years.
Just forget you ever saw it. It's better that way.