Listen to the sounds....

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Re: Listen to the sounds....

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

a whole damn town wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:Good observations. And of course, the skipping-needle scene in E14 features the white horse, who is linked to the Woodsmen in P8. As I’ve mentioned, the “gatekeeper” Woodsman’s machine in P15 contains a record player (a new addition which wasn’t in Jürgen Prochnow’s version of the same machine in FWWM). Some fascinating connections, and I defy anyone to claim this stuff wasn’t very consciously thought out by L/F, even if they might not be able to articulate exactly what it all means.
Hmm, there's definitely something that looks a whole lot like the record player in Fire Walk With Me - the "shelf" in the middle has the same raised part in its lower right corner and a groove running across the front face.

I see what you’re talking about, but I’m still undecided. Hmm.
Zachary
Roadhouse Member

Post by Zachary »

Has anyone determined whether the prop for the Woodsman's machine is an actual device? It looks a lot like what you'd see inside a really old jukebox if the back panel were removed. But since the devices shown in FWWM and season 3 are slightly different, I'd guess they were constructed and are not a repurposed antique.
Mr. Strawberry
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Strawberry »

Zachary wrote:Has anyone determined whether the prop for the Woodsman's machine is an actual device? It looks a lot like what you'd see inside a really old jukebox if the back panel were removed. But since the devices shown in FWWM and season 3 are slightly different, I'd guess they were constructed and are not a repurposed antique.
Since the day I registered you guys have consistently managed to impress the hell out of me. There were so many dots that I didn't connect while the show was airing, and it makes me wonder how different the experience would have been if I'd gone in "blind" as with the original series.

Anyway yes, it does look like a turntable was there in Fire Walk With Me, and the notion that this is a partially dismantled or modified jukebox seems pretty reasonable. I think we just found another piece of the puzzle; Anyone suddenly thinking of Audrey Horne?

Scouring pictures of vintage models now...
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Zachary wrote:....

:lol:
Pinky
RR Diner Member

Post by Pinky »

spooky, look what I just found!
Redlodge
Roadhouse Member

Post by Redlodge »

I don’t know if anyone else has made this suggestion or not but I have been listening to the sounds from episode 1 of season 3. I really believe it is saying :
We live inside a dream
We live inside a dream
We live inside a dream
It makes allot of sense if you think about it.
It also makes sense why it can’t be said out loud now.
When Jupiter and Saturn meet , oh what a crop of mummy wheat.
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

Jasper wrote:
Zachary wrote:....

:lol:
The mark of a Woolhouse Boy. Well done.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Sometimes I think that figuring out what the sounds are is not that important, rather they act as an audio clue to help up figure out what's going on within the scene itself.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Rik Renault
Roadhouse Member

Post by Rik Renault »

Jerry Horne wrote:Sometimes I think that figuring out what the sounds are is not that important, rather they act as an audio clue to help up figure out what's going on within the scene itself.
Agreed. Just started watching again and I'm thinking I got too hung up previously on what these sounds were. But I now think we're not supposed to know at this point. There is no freeze-frame "gotcha" moment where we find the sounds buried in a scene from TMP (or wherever). This is the first time we hear the sounds and we need to listen out for them in the future (or the past, as it happens).
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Histeria wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:49 pm Watching the pilot tonight I was struck by the line "I can tell from the sounds that it isn't her."

"Listen to the sounds" accompanied an abstract scratching that also followed Cooper's footsteps outside the Tremond/Palmer residence in Part 18.

There have been many attempts to match the sounds to other stuff in the Twin Peaks canon, not really bothered if it matches Hawk's footsteps in Laura's room or not but don't think that's been tested either way.

I'm more interested in the specific use of the rather idiosyncratic term "sounds" and the question of identity and the fact there's the footatep connection in both the first and last episodes of Twin Peaks.
Does anyone who knows more about audio mixing than I do (ergo, probably everyone) have the motivation to check this? I've been playing around with the audio tracks in Audacity and have thoroughly creeped myself out by what seems a very close match between the sounds in the gramophone (reversed like The Fireman's speech) and two Twin Peaks scenes. The first is Laura opening her diary in The Missing Pieces. The second is the sounds of footsteps I mention in the quoted post.

I'm probably drastically underestimating how common matches like this are in completely unrelated sounds but, as I said, everything I know about sound engineering I learned within the last hour or so. Still, I'm thoroughly spooked.
Screenshot 2021-09-29 at 20.27.51.png
Screenshot 2021-09-29 at 20.27.51.png (161.36 KiB) Viewed 6243 times
You can listen below. It repeats three times. The first time is the two scenes back to back with no gramophone. Second time it's the gramophone by itself. Third time it's all three stacked on top of each other.

https://imgur.com/D7LpQkf

edit:

Whoops, I neglected to read the OP and figure out they'd already figured out the scene for the first sound.
boske
Great Northern Member

Post by boske »

The sound that we hear is that of a Bronze Caco frog, I have posted on it at viewtopic.php?p=123706#p123706, the video itself is still up at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1Sc78-TOFs&t=63s (the sound starts at 1:03 mark). It is one of the clues to S3 for me.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

boske wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:48 am The sound that we hear is that of a Bronze Caco frog, I have posted on it at viewtopic.php?p=123706#p123706, the video itself is still up at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1Sc78-TOFs&t=63s (the sound starts at 1:03 mark). It is one of the clues to S3 for me.
Do you mean it's an actual recording of a bronze caco frog or that it's made to sound like one? Because the sound in The Return is reversed and has had a whole heap of effects added to it, including changes in pitch. In fact, I kinda suspect it's the heavily modulated voice of Lynch's vocals making the sounds.

Just checked youtube and there's a plethora of other credible sources already tested.

my own comparison

Sounds being recycled in completely different contexts isn't new to the series. But I'd be less surprised to find out the sounds of Laura's diary opening was reused as footsteps in FWWM's Red Room scene near the end than I would be to find out he reused them 25 years later in The Return.

Still, the links with Laura's identity fracturing (the two diaries, Carrie Paige), footsteps (her room and Red Room post death, outside the Tremond Residence in P18) are more valuable to me than the sounds being some kind of plot device (really doubt that's true).
boske
Great Northern Member

Post by boske »

Histeria wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:01 am
boske wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:48 am The sound that we hear is that of a Bronze Caco frog, I have posted on it at viewtopic.php?p=123706#p123706, the video itself is still up at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1Sc78-TOFs&t=63s (the sound starts at 1:03 mark). It is one of the clues to S3 for me.
Do you mean it's an actual recording of a bronze caco frog or that it's made to sound like one? Because the sound in The Return is reversed and has had a whole heap of effects added to it, including changes in pitch. In fact, I kinda suspect it's the heavily modulated voice of Lynch's vocals making the sounds.

Still, the links with Laura's identity fracturing (the two diaries, Carrie Paige), footsteps (her room and Red Room post death, outside the Tremond Residence in P18) are more valuable to me than the sounds being some kind of plot device (really doubt that's true).
The sound may have been edited, but it sounds too much like a frog to me. And maybe it just sounds reversed naturally, which would be quite something. And not to sound (pun intended) too mysterious or coy about it, here is what I had in mind, which ties it all in, in one way:
  • Bronze Caco frog, caco can also allude to caca, bronze in color;
  • Also caco as in cacodemon, which is what Bob-orb is;
  • Freddie is punching Bob-orb with a green janitor latex glove, fighting the unclean (Mr. Clean like);
  • And finally, bronze as a fake gold, such as sold by Dr. Amp. And what was Dr. Amp raving about? "It's shit, it's shit".
Other than that, there are also Jungian psychological explanations. This is itself is very interesting, as we see a frog-moth, so it is a combination of the two.

There is so much in TP to untangle...