Making sense of the coordinates / Buckhorn subplot

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

claaa7
Great Northern Member

Making sense of the coordinates / Buckhorn subplot

Post by claaa7 »

i only post here while lurking Reddit/TP and i have noticed that a lot of people are confused as what pertains to the coordinates that Mister C is trying to get a hold of. i don't find this poorly written at all. We know from reading between the lines that a joining between Mister C, BOB and Judy as she possesses Sarah is nothing but bad news - and although Frost might have cleared up this and some of the other absurd mysterious of the force of TP existence in his "The Final Dossier", i don't think you should be required to read those books (which i really, really like to) enjoy the series completely).

I think it was for "Lost Highway" that Lynch stated (was it to David Foster Wallace?) that he was making a murder mystery with most of the clues deleted. this was even more pronounced in his following works, save for "The Straight Story" (no matter what Martha P. Nochinson says) and with Twin Peaks: The Return he has taken the concept to its limists. remember that a lot of people said FWWM, Lost Highway, MD and Inland Empire was pure artistic masturbation because woe he who dare to go aginst the grain.

in episode 16 Mister C says to Richard that three people have given him coordinates but viewers has drawn attention to him only receiving two set of coordinates from two different people at this point and chalk this up to a goof. I strongly disagree with this. Already at this point he has received three set of coordinates, the ones that sent him to the rock came from Jeffries and Ray who was working in tandem to destroy him or actually more likely send him back to the lodge (so Richard might very well be there). the other came from Diane which she sent at the end of Part 12, as she saw on the photo of Ruth Davenports arm. remember that the last two digits were smudged so she wrote it out leving the last two, only writing "+2" although she probably had an idea what those smudged numbers were. so in episode 16 when Mister C writes "ALL :) " he is requesting ALL of the numbers, including the last 2. i think this is where the realization that she is really helping a mass murderer and a Shadow Self that taken over the life of someone she loved really hits her.

luckily Mister C was trapped in the Giant's place as well.. it could very well be that someone like Briggs or Andy would be able to move rather freely in there but someone with imperfect motivations and filled of negativity immediatly gets trapped and sent out of there.
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Re: Making sense of the coordinates / Buckhorn subplot

Post by claaa7 »

edited the rambling post, sorry... now it should be perfectly readable and quick to get to the point.
Nighthawk
RR Diner Member

Post by Nighthawk »

I considered the question of coordinates after my recent rewatch of the series. There is no perfect answer as far as I can tell, but it is a very interesting puzzle. I wonder if we will get some more clues in future Twin Peaks books (I am pretty sure they will happen). I am leaning towards a hypothesis that Diane did send Mr. C. coordinates before Richard Horne's annihilation at the rock, but she omitted the last two digits. So Mr. C. had in fact two sets of coordinates (from Ray and Jeffries) that matched and an incomplete set from Diane. Logically, he went to check out the place for which he had full coordinates, assuming that it could be a trap, but that it could also be what he sought.
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

Nighthawk wrote:I considered the question of coordinates after my recent rewatch of the series. There is no perfect answer as far as I can tell, but it is a very interesting puzzle. I wonder if we will get some more clues in future Twin Peaks books (I am pretty sure they will happen). I am leaning towards a hypothesis that Diane did send Mr. C. coordinates before Richard Horne's annihilation at the rock, but she omitted the last two digits. So Mr. C. had in fact two sets of coordinates (from Ray and Jeffries) that matched and an incomplete set from Diane. Logically, he went to check out the place for which he had full coordinates, assuming that it could be a trap, but that it could also be what he sought.
yes exactly, this is what i get from the series as well... without the two digits the coordinates only indicated that the place was somewhere in Twin Peaks but Cooper might even have already known that. Tulpa Diane probably tried to cheat him by witholding the last two digits although she most likely had an idea about what they were (they were not totally smushed beyond recognition). so when Cooper craved to have the complete set after realizing the Jeffries/Ray coordinates was a set-up ("ALL :)" Diane gets a HORRIFIED look on her face and something is switched in her. it seems that Diane is incapable of lying to the doppelganger - in the prison scene hate and fear is oozing out of her every poor when comfronting him but later she is answering all of his direct text questions with straight and important answers. in much of the Tulpa lore i read The Tulpa is created by a human to do their dirty bidding for them, although it usually goes wrong for them... and it is heavily implied that Mister C created the Diane tulpa ("He took me to an old desolated place, like an old gas station...") after the rape. Perhaps the person has to be truly traumautized in order for a tulpa to be created from them.
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

another interesting point... it's not at all certain that Richard dies on that rock if we consider the huge amount of electricity running through him before he disappears (or does he dis-apparates like Philip Jeffries in FWWM?). consider that Jeffries did not only instruct Ray to kill Mister C if it came to that, but to make sure that he put the Owl Cave ring on his left hand as well to send him back to the lodge. i get the feeling that Jeffries does not neccasrily care about killing Mister C but rather to get him back "Home" to restore the natural order.

would be intriguing to see Richard in the lodge in an upcoming season if it was ever done.. i think this is the end of Twin Peaks and i think it's beautiful that the more we watch the series and the more we iron it out between us in an analytical way it becomes clear that this season makes a lot of sense albeit with many extreme elements and even some that seems to be there to absolutely defy an explanation that works. i think this is very similiar to how "Fire Walk With Me" was received and reevaluated throughout the years.