What's your favourite scene from The Return?

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Re: What's your favourite scene from The Return?

Post by LateReg »

Agreed. Ashbrook was the perfect anchor to that scene and I couldn't imagine it without his presence, nor did I ever question his presence. Especially since it fits into the Twin Peaks in microcosm encapsulation provided by the wild mood and genre swings of that entire sequence starting with the parenting conversation in the diner.
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

What's your favourite scene from The Return?

Post by yaxomoxay »

LateReg wrote:Agreed. Ashbrook was the perfect anchor to that scene and I couldn't imagine it without his presence, nor did I ever question his presence. Especially since it fits into the Twin Peaks in microcosm encapsulation provided by the wild mood and genre swings of that entire sequence starting with the parenting conversation in the diner.
I think that Bobby’s presence is perfect to highlight the discomfort that his generation, which last time we saw it was all about youth, is now feeling in the new Twin Peaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by yaxomoxay on Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

yaxomoxay wrote:
LateReg wrote:Agreed. Ashbrook was the perfect anchor to that scene and I couldn't imagine it without his presence, nor did I ever question his presence. Especially since it fits into the Twin Peaks in microcosm encapsulation provided by the wild mood and genre swings of that entire sequence starting with the parenting conversation in the diner.
I think that Bobby’s presence is perfect to highlight the discomfort that his generation, which last time it was all about youth, is now feeling in the new Twin Peaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nice.
justvisiting

Post by justvisiting »

The entire restaurant scene.
"There was so much traffic on the strip...It was incredible...There were cars everywhere!"
Whenever I hear 'Twin Peaks' this is the scene that springs into mind now. I don't know what makes it so good. I still don't know how a scene with no "real" Twin Peaks characters that's set miles away from Twin Peaks manages to encapsulate everything about Twin Peaks so perfectly. It's a perfect sequence.

The more you think about it the more little moments pop up in your mind, don't they? Finding it very hard to reconcile my initial disappointment with The Return with the sheer amount of it that seems to be etched into my memory after so few viewings.

"Odessa... I tried to keep a clean house." Such a great mood in those driving scenes in the finale too.
What a great tv show this was.
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Have to see the entire season again and then make a totally different choice; too many impressions after only seeing it once (with the exception of the last 2 episodes).

3 favourites of mine:

- Deputy Bobby Briggs crying when he sees Laura Palmer's portrait.
- WILSON, HOW MANY TIMES HAVE I TOLD YOU! THIS IS WHAT WE DO IN THE FBI!
- The final scene, ending with Laura's Primal Scream.
"I reject absolutely revenge, aggression, and retaliation. The foundation of such a method is love." [Albert Rosenfield]
Isis Unveiled
Roadhouse Member

Post by Isis Unveiled »

At the moment, my favorite scene is where Sarah takes her face off at the bar (and subsequently rips out that guy’s esophagus).

Second favorite has to be when Andy is in the White Lodge with the Fireman. The smoke wisps played in reverse were such a nice touch from Lynch. And Frost’s brilliance shines here by making Andy’s childlike neuroticism be the saving grace that allowed him to enter the White Lodge in the first place. His childlike perception both socially and morally prevented him from being corrupted by delusions of modern society, thus rendering his soul pure enough to enter the Lodge without becoming utterly annihilated.

This sentiment continues when he takes Naido back to the jail and he suddenly has this newfound sense of assertive confidence. Lucy is totally turned on by it, heh.

Definitely love all the superimposed footage from FWWM in the final episode. I was totally blown away the first time I watched that and saw FWWM Laura being led by hand through the woods by present day Cooper.... in the same frame no less!

Also, all of Ep 8 is flawless. FLAWLESS
"I have the fury of my own momentum." - BOB
Poiuyt
Roadhouse Member

Post by Poiuyt »

The first Cooper-Woodsmen scene with Ray. Sublime stuff.
gladhand

Post by gladhand »

I rewatched S3 a couple of weeks ago and actually think the atomic bomb scene in part 8 is incredible to watch. I've never seen anything like it in a TV show before.
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Marcus wrote:Have to see the entire season again and then make a totally different choice; too many impressions after only seeing it once (with the exception of the last 2 episodes).

3 favourites of mine:

- Deputy Bobby Briggs crying when he sees Laura Palmer's portrait.
- WILSON, HOW MANY TIMES HAVE I TOLD YOU! THIS IS WHAT WE DO IN THE FBI!
- The final scene, ending with Laura's Primal Scream.
Re-thinking the entire series, also after buying the soundtrack compact disc... though I still like these 3 scenes very much, my fav scene is now when Laura's face is gently blown towards to planet Earth by the Diva, whilst The Giant/The Fireman is floating in the sky, and all this accompanied by Badalamenti's incredibly beautiful score.
"I reject absolutely revenge, aggression, and retaliation. The foundation of such a method is love." [Albert Rosenfield]
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

If I had to pick just one, I suppose it would be Sarah Palmer smashing Laura's photo. That scene haunts me the most.

But here's a longer list of my favourites:

- Episode 8 in its entirety.
- All Sarah Palmer scenes.
- All Carl Rodd scenes.
- The glass box. That sequence is great as a self-contained short film.
- Mr. C at Otis and Beulah's.
- Bill and Phyllis in prison (with the first appearance of a woodsman)
- The purple ocean/Naido/American Girl
- Drugged out mother and her son (119).
- Wally Brando.
- Diane talking to the doppelganger in prison.
- Richard Horne at the Roadhouse.
- Becky, Shelley, and Bobby at the Double R, and the honking car lady.
- The newscast report on the Ike the Spike attack. "Roll the Dice!"
- Audrey and Charlie's 2nd scene (where Audrey gets confused and cries.)
- Jack Rabbit's Palace with Andy going to the White Lodge.
- Ed and Norma reunited.
- Diane recounting her rape to the Blue Rose team.
- Coop waking up in the hospital.
- Showdown in the Sheriff's station.
- Odessa diner.
- Coop meets Carrie Page.
- Coop & Carrie going to Palmer house.

As you can see, the Vegas stuff wasn't my favourite. I do like most of it, but it's just not as compelling to me as the rest.
blueangel

Post by blueangel »

Episode 8 when the woodsmen are digging into Cooper doing their ritual. I also value the sweeping scene with Green Onions playing and the calming of it complete. But episode 8 altogether is one of the best things I have ever seen on movie and television. It blew my mind and is still just as great to go back and view.
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

OK, I have a new favourite scene to add to my list!

I rewatched Part 6 the other night, and there was a moment that had previously passed me by that really hit hard.

When DougieCoop is in his boss's office and Bushnell is looking over the case files, there is a beautiful moment where Coop looks up at the poster of Mullins, then at the present day Mullins, and there's this devastating realization of time passing by. In previous viewings I just thought "OK, yeah, Dougie is slow, yeah he's realizing that his boss is in the picture, big whoop" but now I see it as Coop dealing with the tragedy of losing 25 years of his own life.

So good.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Snailhead wrote:OK, I have a new favourite scene to add to my list!

I rewatched Part 6 the other night, and there was a moment that had previously passed me by that really hit hard.

When DougieCoop is in his boss's office and Bushnell is looking over the case files, there is a beautiful moment where Coop looks up at the poster of Mullins, then at the present day Mullins, and there's this devastating realization of time passing by. In previous viewings I just thought "OK, yeah, Dougie is slow, yeah he's realizing that his boss is in the picture, big whoop" but now I see it as Coop dealing with the tragedy of losing 25 years of his own life.

So good.
Amazing call. I've no idea why I hadn't put that moment into the perspective of time, especially since I knew it was Mullins in the photo. The series is just so coherent on every level, but especially an intuitive level.
Mr. Strawberry
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Strawberry »

Still in the middle of my first rewatch, and have many favorites, but at the moment I'm leaning toward Bobby and The Honking, with Mr. C at The Farm being a close second. My favorite scenes change based on where I'm at emotionally, just like with the original show, and I'm guessing this is true for many.
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

Mr. Strawberry wrote:Still in the middle of my first rewatch, and have many favorites, but at the moment I'm leaning toward Bobby and The Honking, with Mr. C at The Farm being a close second. My favorite scenes change based on where I'm at emotionally, just like with the original show, and I'm guessing this is true for many.
I think I need to give Part 9 another chance. That one has always been my least favourite - it just bores me. The Farm scene never really stood out to me, so now I'm excited to see it again, knowing it's someone else's favourite.

I re-watched Part 7 last night and the scene where Diane talks to the Doppelganger in jail is one of those scenes that was powerful the first time around and is just as powerful now. I don't know how anyone could have ever interpreted it as anything other than Diane confronting her rapist. Regardless of the blonde Diane being a tulpa / having sporadic allegiance to the Doppelganger, that scene plus the one in part 16 where she talks about the rape are some of the "realest" emotional moments of the show. I know S3 operates on so many levels, but I have often viewed a lot of it through the lens of Coop being in denial about the fact that he's a rapist... kind of like FWWM complicates the idea that Leland was innocent, Part 18 for me similarly complicates the idea that Coop is totally innocent regarding the Doppelganger's crimes.